• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe applications hidden underneath Apple OS X menu bar. I can't move the application window.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot move the Photoshop application window. It is stuck/hidden underneath of the Apple OS X menu bar. I can't see the maximize, minimize, etc buttons and I cannot grab the frame of the window to drag it around the screen. Extremely frustrating. I've tried reseting the the window, quitting the application and re-opening it, logging off/shutting down and rebooting, etc. Nothing works. Maddening.

Help appreciated.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

FINALLY RESOLVED: Running in multi-window configuration, there is an Adobe software bug that will cause the top portion of the application to hide underneath of the OS X menu bar. Once this happens, you cannot maximize or minimize the application frame, or move it around the screen. You're stuck! To fix this problem, turn off multiple monitors or engage "Mirror Mode". The application frame will then jump out from under the menu bar.

Incredibly frustrating bug but glad to see it can be user-resolv

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.

This original post is five years old...

And, this bug is STILL HAPPENING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is probably the worst at fixing bugs. Lots of New useless features that make more bugs, but Adobe has always had a reputation for not addressing customer concerns. In the '90's I was a beta tester and they didn't listen to any of us. It took years just to get them to ad a rubber band feature to Illustrator and that was only after they received over 300,000 complaints. They are a monopoly for the most part and really don't give a shit at all. Very sad and it's only getting worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the last two updates PS is slow, crashes and all Adobe can say is upgrade a two month old fully loaded MAC pro tower. Yes you have it. I must upgrade to 6 million dollar Cray computer to run PS now. God how I miss Photoshop 7. Yes 7. Before CC & before CS there was PS7. The most stable and useful for real pros version.

I was an Adobe beta tester in the early '90's and still have my original copy of PS3, and in my opinion after 7 Adobe went retail and no longer was a program just for professionals. In doing so it went from doing one thing grate to doing a thousand things half assed, slow and in most cases wrong.

I have PS7 currently running on a old 17 year old MAC with less than a gig of RAM & it clocks at 6x's faster than CC on a fully loaded MAC pro tower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me down right mad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps an easier way to resolve it when it happens is to go to Settings, General and check "Automatically hide and show the menu bar". When the menu bar gets hidden, grab InDesign and remove it from the position where the bar would hide it, then uncheck the option in Settings if wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2018 Jan 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing, it's Jan 20 2018 as I type this on my brand new top specced MacBook Pro 15 2017 running the full Adobe CC Not So Suite and had the same thing happen with Dreamweaver. It was only viewing the solutions here that helped. This has been happening for years but I have been off MacOS for a while, so amazed Adobe have not addressed it on my return to the platform. TBH, with Apple moving into Adobe's space with FCP X, iPhoto (has some nice photo editing features itself) etc I'm sure it's intentional to make power users get a Windows machine. And to be honest, once you're running the apps, is there any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like this is a feature, not a bug.

In Lightroom, to change it to the normal window that can be moved/resized, click:

Window —> screen mode —> normal

In Lightroom, pressing shift + f will also cycle through these window styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now in 2018 this doesn't work anymore, just had this issue with after effects.

I wound up having to shrink the window from the bottom as much as possible, and then in the view all windows view, drag the window to the plus at the top right hand corner of the screen, placing it on a new desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got so fed up of various issues with MacOS + Adobe and generally the useless direction Apple are going with creatives (MacBook keyboard etc, really TC?), I gave up, mothballed my 2017 MacBook Pro i7 3.1GHz and bought an HP ZBook X2 G4 and maxed it out with 1TB of fast SSD. Whilst there are some aspects of Windows that make me want to run for the hills, the actual ZBook hardware is outstanding from ergonomics to ports (legacy + twin TB3). It is THE best designed computer I have owned since my Sinclair ZX-81, with only the lighter but limited by ChromeOS Google Pixelbook coming second. And yes, the ZBook is worth the price. Yesterday, I sat in an air conditioned pub using the Wacom pen to do some sketches using Photoshop on it's 4K anti-glare display.

More on the ZBook spec here...

https://picosm.com/993919352790

(I gave up with an iPad Pro because unlike the ZBook, it doesn't have a real OS and file management.)

This Adobe windowing issue does not effect Windows of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mirror mode did not do it for me. Bug still exists and took me 2 hours to figure it out before I got here. Implied multiple restarts and cursing. However, the bug exists because of the nav bar attribution when connecting to a larger monitor. I have a 13' MacBook Pro and a 27" monitor.

The fix is: System preferences -> Display -> Arrangement -> Move white rectangle depicting Apple nav bar on the large screen. ---> Success.

Cheers and Adobe should do smth about this. It's been 6 years and this is still an issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me. I was just coming here to post this solution and saw that Anirim shared the solution. Hopefully this can help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaaaaaank you!! You just saved me a lot of useless drama! Such an awful bug!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click On After Effects Window (anywhere) + Shift + Option + Drag. The window will begin to resize itself and you will be able to see use the window controls again. This is the easiest and quickest way to resolve this issue. Instead of trying to mess with mirroring settings and the like. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here it is nine years later in 2021 and Adobe still has not fixed this buggy and hugely annoying problem Geeech!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines