• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use Web Fonts in Illustrator or Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2013 Apr 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to use a few of the web fonts for a clients project but I need to be able to have the fonts available for me in Illustrator and Photoshop as well as Dreamweaver and Muse.

I am a full Creative Cloud Subscriber and need to have complete integration across all or most products.

Thank you for help in advance

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Update 2015: you can definitely install Google fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is this is not possible. 

The long answer is Photoshop & Illustrator use print fonts installed on your system (True Type, Open Type, Post Script).

Web fonts (ie: Google, TypeKit, Edge, etc...) need a web browser to display them because they use file types that are not recognized by other applications.  

EOT Compressed

EOT Lite (uncompressed)    

TTF (raw TrueType Fonts for screen)

SVG (xml version)

SVGZ (gzipped version)

WOFF (gzipped, web only, cross-browser font)

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I understand the complexities of the code but it would be so awesome to be able to match everything up for a new client.

Maybe in the next version they will have some form of compatability.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just looking to do this myself for the same reason. I found this but have not tryed it yet. Might be the solution. Also, it auto updates the fonts.

http://cssjockey.com/google-web-fonts-how-to-use-download-and-sync/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 2015: you can definitely install Google fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this is still an issue for you now, things may have changed since you originally posted.  I do it all the time - just add the fonts from google web to your collection by clicking the "Add to collection" next to the font and then download them and install the TTF onto you machine to make it available (simply double click and install).

Although - I am on windows, I assume that it is the same on a mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I make it available on Illustrator once it's on my machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you download the fonts from Google Fonts, you need to Install them on your computer. I use Windows 8 and I just had to unzip the font file and then right click on the font files that unzipped and there was an Install option in the pop up menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to Google Fonts.  (Why have I waited so long??!)

I'm having difficulty generating/downloading the TTF file.  I have selected a font and added it to my Collection but do not see how to download the font file.  The "Review" section on Google Fonts has what looks like a download icon (downward facing arrow) but the it just tells me to goto the "Use" section.  On the "Use" section I see various ways of calling up the font in a web page but no way of getting a TTF font to install locally on my PC.

What am I missing here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you or someone else hadnt found it yet... the download button.download-goofont.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2016 Mar 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions for Google Fonts worked for me!  Whoo Hoo!  THANK YOU!  I had been told it couldn't be done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did this myself!  My wife has me working on a project for her and I needed to very specific Google Fonts.  I downloaded them, unzipped  them to my desktop, right clicked on the font icon on the desktop and told it to install.  Then went back to my Adobe Illustrator CC program that was still open and all three of the fonts I wanted were right there!  Thank you all for your work on this before I got here.  Made things much easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I came aross onlinefontconverter.com when I searched for WOFF to TTF conversion as I the only verson of a client's custom font I could get was the woff file on their website (not a google font). I needed to get it into Photoshop to work on a new logo. There area lots of converson tools around but they all annoyingly lead you there without actually being able to convert font files - this one did it just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines