Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open CS5 in OS-X "Sierra"

Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CS5. I recently upgraded my iMac to OS-X “Sierra.” With the new Apple operating system upgrade I can no longer open CS5.

A window pops up advising me that I need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime. But the Java download is only for earlier OS X versions up

to El Capitan (OS X 10.10.). I did the Java download hoping that it might work, but it didn’t. i still get the pop up window preventing me from opening CS5.

I checked my Java Control Panel which said my system has the recommended version of Java — Java 8 Update 101.

I am in desperate need to use Photoshop in my work. Hope someone can advise what to do.

This issue was incorrectly marked answered but it has not been answered.

Merv Bloch

mabloch@nyc.rr.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Omniscientmoon.

Ah Thankyou for the links, I'll have a good look.  I've done in it, got two operating systems running tried to partition the mac but it wasn't big enough so I partitioned the external to run sierra and have the other half as a back up time machine to both lion and sierra. I need a hard drive which I will then be able to partition internally but for now it's ok just reinstalling premiere onto lion as I had to do a clean installation, hope this helps many of you out there it's a way around it anyway for software issues x x x ☺️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe

meant design suite not premiere that will be the next stage when I add leopard x x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe sorry sterhill x x that was meant for you x x the thankyou   Doing it off my phone can't see properly x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't upgraded to Sierra yet....may not....but to open CS5 with El Cap I have to close all tabs and restart and open CS5 first.  Let me know if this works.  I'm trying to decide to upgrade, or not.  I hate it how Apple basically makes it necessary to upgrade each time so it's compatible with other devices.  They say it's not a forced upgrade....but really, it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never had a problem opening CS5 in El Capitan. Sierra is the cause of my problem. I’d be very wary of upgrading to Sierra until Apple or Adobe fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info. I know you saved me a lot of pull out my hair

emotions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download Java for OS X 2015-001

This is all the info you need - visit the above link.

I just had the worst morning because of this issue too. I did an update this morning and then couldn't open my presentation infront of a client ( it was unprofessional / embarrassing etc, so rescheduled the meeting). It's cost me money and its plugin missing from the new updates. I know it would be easier to upgrade but the truth is I don't wish to pay ongoing fees esp when I have bought Adobe suites for myself and Im more than happy working with my old versions... sadly we're going to have to just 'bit the bullet' and upgrade aren't we? Hope you find this useful: 

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

Java for OS X 2015-001 installs the legacy Java 6 runtime for OS X 10.11 El Capitan, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and OS X 10.7 Lion.

This package is exclusively intended for support of legacy software and installs the same deprecated version of Java 6 included in the 2014-001 and 2013-005 releases.

Quit any Java applications before installing this update.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6133 for more details about this update.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for information about the security content of this update.

Keep your software up to date. If you need Java, download the latest version of Java for OS X directly from Oracle https://www.java.com

NOTE: Older versions may be found at:  http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1829

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I need to bit the bullet myself and do the monthly thing as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.I just think the Sierra is the latest version of Mac, and it may not suit to use a older software, you are supposed to make a CC version instead or rollback to elder version of Mac like El Captian and Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has helped me (mounting the image worked!) but I need more help.

After I installed Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium, everything seemed fine, but whenever I go to an individual program such as Photoshop or Indesign, etc, they tell me my serial number is invalid (the one hat allowed me to install the suite fine) and then it only runs as a 30-day trial. I called Adobe and they said they do not have phone support for suites! I found an article that said to go to my library (I'm on a Mac) and to look for "Adobe PCD and Adobe/caps/caps.db" but they were not there. Any suggestions? Oh, the article also mentioned creating a new user name for adobe, which I also did, but it didn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently been forced to upgrade from Yosemite, to El Capitan, and now to Sierra to chase and correct a series of iOS and various compatibility issues with various OSX device drivers ... each "fix" and update seemed to "break" something else, including Photoshop CS5 not working right. Fortunately, the Mac OS itself prompted a re-install of the legacy version of Java with a link to the download, including for Sierra, which installed correctly. You do need to set the privacy and security settings to the lowest level to allow any software to install, or else you may get stuck there.

The problem with PS CS5 was not obvious at first ... it quit working correctly when I upgraded to from El Capitan to Sierra, so I stepped back to a clean re-install of El Capitan, but it was still "broken", same when I went back to Yosemite and then did a clean install of CS5, still didn't work right ... since it worked just fine with Yosemite and El Capitan before, this was very strange.

Finally, after comparing a copy of CS5 working on another drive partition clone that I had not touched during the Sierra upgrade, I realized the working version of CS5 was in 32-bit mode, but an OS upgrade or re-install of CS5 would reset that bit so it would run in default 64-bit mode. It was apparently the 64-bit mode that was causing the trouble, particularly with some older plug-ins. As soon as I selected the 32-bit mode for PS CS5, it worked ok again, recognizing the TWAIN plug-in for my scanner, etc. that didn't work in 64-bit mode, now, no problem even under Sierra 10.12.5. This may not be an option if you need to run more than 4GB of memory for PS, but it may be worth a try if nothing else works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am a computer dumb dumb and I had the same problem, I found they video clip and followed the instruction. Installed my Photoshop CS5 and illustrator CS5 successfully. I can do it, you can do it. Good luck,

here is the link:

Fix - Can't Install Photoshop CS5 on macOS Sierra (Also CS4 & CS6) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does everything work well now? I have been holding off forever in updating my OS to Sierra because I have CS5 for InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop. I'm still on Yosemite even.  I have hope now that I can safely update the OS and still be able to run my CS5. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had bought a new iMac with Sierra, and decided not to use it with Photoshop since we were not able to transfer the license to the other computer and we don’t want to pay monthly for the cloud. We DO however have Sierra 10.12.5 on our older iMac and are using Photoshop CS5 on it with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have random problems with my Cs5 as well. When I made inquiry I was told that mac OSX Sierra does not support older versions of adobe products such as Cs5 creative suite and from adobe I was told these programs are outdated and no longer supported.

I switched to Affinity Designer, and Affinity Photo.

Sorry to say, you will have to go the subscription route, for adobe, if you do not want to try alternative software.

Oh, and not sure if it still works but back in the day some folks used GIMP. I find it too limiting...thus the leap to the very affordable Affinity suite.

Good luck

Affinity Software: Cross Platform and apparently now for Ipad too! Cant imagine how that would work!

Affinity photo:

affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Affinity designer:

affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK if someone is looking still here for a solutions this is it:

To install: Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra)

To open PS in High Sierra (java error): Download Java for OS X 2017-001

Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines