• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Completely uninstall Adobe Application Manager

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mistakenly installed Adobe Application Manager last night because I thought it was needed to make it easier to update my existing Adobe Reader v10 and my other Adobe products (AIR, Flash, Photoshop Elements, and Premier Elements). How stupid of me to not do my research FIRST!!! Now I can not get rid of the damned thing. It will not show up in the Windows Programs and Features program listing in the Control Panel so I can remove it that way and the instructions to completely remove AAM that are given on the web site simply do not work as I have NONE of the applications listed in AAM that purportedly will remove AAM if they are uninstalled.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

First let me say that my earlier instructions for removing AAM were only partially correct. Those instructions remove just the Creative Cloud part of AAM and should really only be used if you are having trouble running AAM with your Creative Cloud subscription.

If you are using most Adobe products then AAM is installed and is required for the product to run correctly. AAM is used for Creative Cloud, and is also used for perpetual licensing (when you enter a serial number). AAM also handles updati

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 149 Replies 149
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2012 Sep 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Application Manager IS just a Marketing tool. When you open the newest version you are offered buttons to install every single Adobe product. I reverted to a previous system image to get rid of the new offending version of Application Manager. I'm not so happy about your products as I was. Everyone can be replaced, myself or Adobe software. Rest assured, no software-computer company gets on my nervers worse than Apple. Even so, I paid your market asking price for your product and adverts are not part of the paid deal. Cable TV has that problem, you pay them and they slap you with Ads. I do not have a television or Cable. And I use ad blocking software on Firefox. Adverts seriously get under my skin.

UPDATE

I discovered how to disable the update feature within the Adobe Application Manager so you never have to look at it. Since after disabling, you won't get notices, just check manually at www.adobe.com/downloads/updates for your few updates you might get, you might only get one good one after a new release anyway. There is an Adobe help page link at the bottom of this post telling you how to disable the thing. Basically it says the following for a system wide disable;

make a text file titled:

AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

with these contents between the astrisks:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<Preferences>

<Suppressed>1</Suppressed>

</Preferences>

And put it here

Mac OS<Startup Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat
Windows XP and HigherC:\Program files\common files\adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0\AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat
Windows XP and higher (64-bit)C:\Program files(x86)\common files\adobe\AAMUpdaterInventory\1.0\AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

from this page

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/disable-auto-updates-application-manager.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To say that AAM is not a marketing tool is disingenuous. If the program functions as a marketing tool (i.e., by default or design), it is a marketing tool (period). I cannot imagine that Adobe set out to provide a core application/critical update and accidentally included trail software offers. Regardless, I would suggest that when asked if AMM is marketing tool in the future, it is better to sound greedy than incompetent (i.e., Adobe and not individuals).

Equally, if the program was known to be faulty, it should not have been pushed on paying consumers as a mandatory update (period).

What is Adobe doing to remove the confusing trial software marketing tool from our computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2012 Sep 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PS CS6, activated and legit. Yesterday I installed Elements 10, and activated it too, not because I need it but to help a friend who is just beginning to edit photos. Like all these other folk I was unpleasantly surprised by the sudden appearance of a AAM icon on my Desktop. And as for the steps that are needed to get rid of it? Absurd! Download another cleaning program, un-zip files, open DOS screen, and going through arcane steps to get rid of AMM!That did not happen by chance. I started programming in assembly language, I never imagined I'd go back to DOS in the 21st Century to get rid of a program I never wanted.

Since this thread hadn't produced a definitive solution I decided to settle down with the phone for the afternoon. At length I did get to speak to a technician, explained the situation, but he clearly was totally out of his depth. He seemed to think that it was "just" a matter of going to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. He didn't believe me when I told him it was not listed, finally had to share my screen with him to prove it. "Ah well," he said, if it's not listed it's not installed." However, I was able to show him exactly where it is installed, so he went off the line for about 15 minutes. When he came back he told me that he had consulted a superior technie, and this deity, who I did not get to speak to, relayed the word from on high. If AAM is uninstalled CS6 and Elements 10 will not run.

If it is as clear-cut as that why has this not been made clear in this thread? Time was when I'd have believed anything an Adobe technician told me, I've been using Photoshop since V3, that was yesterday. It may be true that CS6 & Elements will not function without AAM, but if this is true there must be some advantage to Adobe in writing the code which requires it.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suffice it to say some product manager at Adobe should on the carpet right now for a very poor decision about how to deal with introduction of AAM to their product. They could have explained what they were doing, what function it would perform, and explained that it was to be an essential element of the CS product. They could have implemented it so that the screens where they offered additional products were separate from the screens that dealt with installed apps. They have serious egg on their face due to the arrogant way it was foisted upon their customers.

The idea that there is an update manager for Adobe apps does not really bother me, and the fact that it cannot separately uninstalled doesn't either. The idea that they just sneaked the thing onto my computer with no explanation does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 30, 2012 Sep 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Application Manager thing was indeed very poorly done.  I too was very confused to see applications listed that I had not purchased as well as confusing "Install" items that I had already installed.

This is just one more example where Adobe is:

- Forcing everyone onto the subscription model whether they want to go or not

- Using the "Creative Cloud" with it's "continuous improvements" as an excuse to be even lazier about quality-checking software before it is released.

When Adobe gets around to fixing the "Install aleady installed apps" bug, I strongly recommend the following addiitonal changes in AAM:

- The links to non-purchased software should be labeled "Trial", not "Install".

- AAM should have a preferences setting where we can "uncheck" "Show trial software".

It really is pretty sad that Adobe is putting so much energy into this "subscription that we hope you forget to shut off" model as a way to protect their revenue streams rather than concentrating on making innovative software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not required for LR stand-alone. I wound up with it when I downloaded a PS trial and now I have no need of it because it won't even apply updates for LR on OSX mountain lion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to update the Application Manager and received an error...not installed correctly.

What I'm actually trying to do is update Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader because with InDesign CS6, I cannot preview  the pdf file in Acrobat after exporting. This is a new problem (March 9, 2013)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KeveOrignals,

You way want to take a look through this whole thread - a lot of people experience the problems you have.  Also, I did open a new thread which may be useful to you.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I consider myself an experienced (and careful) PC user.  However, when I installed "PhotoShop Elements 11", I got the impression that there was no choice but to install the "Application Manager".  After all of the confussion and time involved on this subject, I hope Adobe will be more careful in the future when attaching such items to their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had accidentally installed this piece of junk by mistake, simply because I wanted to try PS CS6 before purchasing. It never even could initialize the download correctly... so I gave up.

Couldn't get rid of this awful piece of malware, so in case you have not tried it yet my solution to comletely rid my machine of all registry keys and files was a System Restore.

On Windows 7 simply open the start menu and type "System restore" and MANUALLY choose the latest restore point BEFORE you installed AAM. NOTICE AAM will not show up in the list of "affected programs" to be deleted, but proceed anyway.

That's how I got rid of it.

Hope this helps anyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim from KS - there is an Adobe Removal Tool (believe it or not!) that bypasses their obviously flawed installation process and removes everything.  Obviously there are problems here!

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like this has been a problem for quite some time.  In another thread I created today, the solution I was given was to uninstall all CS software to get rid of the App Manager.  Some solution.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5319252#5319252

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend uninstalling everything and installing Gimp!    In several ways it's actually a superior product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eventually I'm going to switch back over to Corel's products where I started from.  I don't want to have to learn another program after all these years especially Gimp which I didn't like the last time I downloaded it.  Besides, Gimp isn't the only solution.  I have more Adobe products other than Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going for the irony shot there, as Gimp is pretty powerful and, more importantly, free!  ;o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GIMP has always been free. Adobe products have always been expensive. People who would switch, would have switched a long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I'm obviously wasted here...

I've reloaded Gimp to have a look and it looks better than it used to be.  It certainly used to do quite a lot of things well that PS did for a very expensive price tag.  I don't know if this used to be true, but the version I have here (2.8) will load PS stuff too!

I'll have a play and feedback more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried it in a few years so maybe it's gotten better.  I always hated the interface myself.  I've always used either Corel PhotoPaint or Adobe Photoshop.  I'm planning to switch over to Corel suite since I also need a replacement for my very old Illustrator 10.  The only thing I will faithfully upgrade is Adobe Acrobat if it's still available as perpetual otherwise I'll keep what I have until it no longer works.  Premiere Pro could be a problem finding an alternative for since I'm so used to it and have been using it since the first version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a very quick play last night and found that GIMP does a lot of things PS does, and just as fast, and just as well, and even improves on some of the features that are standard in PS.

One thing it's just not as good at is the brush tool.  It's a little jerky and doesn't fill in the gaps between strokes; I would have expected that the slower you went the darker the brush tones would be, and the faster, the lighter, just as with a real paint brush, though I didn't test many of the settings.

I've had a longer play and found that it's just a setting.  All good!

The selection tools that are available seem to be a little clunky at first, but are possibly more sensitive than PS; I always found that selecting with a mouse in PS was quite a pain in the backside - it would seem to partially lock to a row of pixels or similar until you made a decided move away from the row then you'd get a chunk added in or missing from your selection.  GIMP seems to be very smooth in that respect.  In fact I would recommend zooming in so that you're sure you haven't accidentally under or over selected (with the sensitivity as it is).

GIMP's interface used to be aimed at the traditional Mac type interface wth a menu fixed at the top of the screen, free floating image windows and free floating tool boxes.  The menu is now fixed to the top of each image window - far better.  Its optimal usage would be a two or three monitor set-up.

Play continues...

One of the missing features of GIMP are the layer effects; these aren't imported using GIMP from a PS file and the effects would have to be manually created, though I'll wager this will change.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed.  My only problem is that I rely quite heavily (unfortunately) on the layer effects availlable on PS.  At the moment I can't change.  I dare say, however, that it could probably give PS a run for its money on the photo editing side of things.  It would be nice for a photographer to try it out and feed back.

Updated a bit: 23/05/2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than price, and no cumbersome install manager, what's superior? (legitimate question) I've always found GIMP's UI to be horrible to the point of counterproductivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My "Adobe Application Manager" died last night, wouldn't load or run.  AAM would not run from within Photoshop Elements 11 or by opening the AAM program.

The Adobe service tec was great.  On chat, he walked me through removing the old AAM system files and replacing with new files.

This whole fiasco with AAM reminds me of the "New Coca-Cola" back in 1985.  Nobody wanted it, needed it or liked it.

Corel, FileMaker and many others have figured out how to incorporate an "update" function from their programs, so it must not be that difficult. 

Adobe managements position appears to be "you will use AAM and you will like AAM".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a business liscense for CS5 and Illustrator 6. I also have a personal CC account and am trying to add CC to my work computer because we don't have access to some of the programs I need. . I can't get around the Application Manager issues and the CC desktop continues to fail to install. I tried clearing out the app manager and the cc desktop attempts with Creative clean up but still to no avail. Any ideas on how to get my CC up an running on my hp with win?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe Application Manager is required for all CS products, why does it require me to purchase CC after the 30 day trial runs out? When I try to open Application Manager, it asks for my CC password, which no longer works because I don't wish to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid recommendation considering it is a pest of a software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crap response from a crap company

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines