• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i install Creative Cloud on different drive than C:/ ?

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible to customize the install location of the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application itself.  The Creative Cloud desktop app must be installed on the same partition that contains the operating system (Primary drive).  You can choose to customize the install location for most Creative Cloud applications, but the Creative Cloud desktop app and shared resources and files will always be stored on the partition containing the computer operating system.

Please follow the steps to change the install location for Creative Cloud apps-

Click on 'FILE' top left corner of the Creative Cloud app-

capture 1.PNG

Select 'Preferences'

capture 2.png

Then click on 'Apps' and change the install location 

Capture3.PNG

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2015 Nov 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jut got the creatice cloud. but what a disappointment when i found out it couldnt install on dfferent drive than C. What??? All respected apps can ne install where ever. So i still got 14 days for the refund policy. So if anyone know how to do this please share with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can change the install location through the Adobe CC desktop app.

Click on the gear icon on the top right>Select Preferences> Under Creative Cloud section you can set the install location.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Ms. Kaul, You are probably not even working at Adobe as it has been a while since you answered the question I'm responding to.  I may have had seeing problems when I installed the actual Creative Cloud app that works on the desktop handling all the Adobe apps, BUT I didn't see that I had an option to work with CC preferences until after the app was installed which was om the default drive.  My understanding of everyone's issue from 2015 was they wanted to install the CC app on an other than default drive.

Also, I read up^^a couple of posts there was no way to make a move on Creative Cloud, but that's not true; I moved it and tested it after I made a symbolic link from my other than default drive back to the default drive.

Well, I changed the installed location by finagling the Adobe directory using command prompt stuff.  I did a robocopy of adobe as follows:

robocopy  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" /E /COPYALL  /XJ

then I did a remove directory on c: drive of Program Files (x86)\Adobe as follows:

rmdir "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" /S /Q

Now you need to make a symbolic link to allow adobe to find everything it needs from C even though you clicked on it from D (my drive, not yours).  Edit: this is creating something like a shortcut from C:\ drive to the drive where you copied Adobe files; in fact in a windows 10 File Manager it will show a very small shortcut icon in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe, and when you click on the C:\ drive files folder for Adobe it will take you to D:\ drive Adobe files.

mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe"

Please let me say here though that you may have problems here ensuring mklink to run; so, please ensure you start cmd.exe by right clicking and selecting run as administrator.  Because if you don't even if you have Administrator member grouping privileges, it won't work.  Also, you may have file permission errors too that you may have to mow down, when going through permissions in the Security tab of Properties dialog as the system cycles through all of the ownerships you will get some errors, just ensure those errors aren't for Adobe and if not you're good to go.  Those errors are for apps in directories that are very difficult to get rid of.  Try a program from the web called IObit Unlocker, be very safe though.  Use a Malware tool to check it as well as a virus checker FIRST and there is a setting on OIbit Unlocker called Unlock and Delete, use that, it works to make it  (file) gone - Kung Fu is strong!  Also, what I did was give my administrators group inherited permission all the way through Program Files (x86) and it worked for me.  Hope I covered everything.

If you did everything okay, you will see this at the prompt: (Or something like it.)

C:\Windows\system32>mklink /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" "D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe"

symbolic link created for C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe <<===>> D:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe

LET ME ALSO SAY ALL THIS WASN'T NECESSARY, IF ADOBE WOULD'VE BEEN A POLITE DEVELOPER AND PUT IN A CONDITIONAL PROGRAM PAUSE TO WAIT FOR USER INPUT ie DEFAULT OR CUSTOM INSTALL  THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will work. However, when Adobe pushes an update for the Creative Cloud  Desktop app, you will have to repeat this procedure again.

Also, make sure your do this for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe" as well. This will free up for space.

A quick note, I use 'mklink /J' to make a junction (a link to another folder) instead of 'mklink /d' (a hard link or default option). Though operationally, they're Identical, unless the Adobe installer see them differently, codewise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

Not letting users choose the destination drive for installing software is just bad design. It is not "simplifying" the install process but just annoying and frustrating your user. Changing a setting in Adobe CC happens **after** it has been installed. Also - the adobe CC itself cannot be downloaded separately.... so you have to install something and move it. You have such an overwhelming selection of complicated apps, but yet you neglected to include a simple selection for installation drive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lillyg73221532  wrote

Adobe,

the adobe CC itself cannot be downloaded separately....

Yes it can: Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app will be installed on C:drive only by default , we cannot change it.

However , you can install CC apps like Photoshop CC 2015 , Illustrator , InDesign,,,,,etc  to different drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great to know!
Now that we have established that Adobe develops poor products (not to mention expansive products), let's all stop buying this crap and get one of there competitor products.

This is completely unacceptable! Get yourselves some proper developers Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your answer is nonsense. Please elaborate. Brucgovn  correctly said that you need to install the CC app, which is a small program, on C: and the other programs at a location you choose...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to start by apologizing for my outburst. Although it can be soothing to vent off, clearly being angry at an issue is not helpful in resolving problems.

To elaborate, my statement is not an answer but rather it is an observation. My observation is simple but I have to admit that I was not very specific. The fact that it is necessary to install the Adobe Creative Cloud app on the C Drive rather than any other available drive simply to install InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator on a different drive is unintuitive at best. Clearly, users have to search your forums to find out how to properly install these programs on the desired drive. This shows that either your users don't know how to use your product(s) or that your product's interface needs to be designed in a manner that allows for properly installing a package without having to do extensive research simply for a software install.

I should also add that am instructor and that constantly dealing with these types of technical issues instead of focusing the task at hand is highly disruptive. It is nonsense for such a problems to exist as part of Adobe Creative Cloud when clearly these issues were non existent in previews Adobe versions. In conclusion, it would be great if you could give the option for installing any software on any hard drive without having to use a step by step tutorial on how to use the Adobe Creative Cloud app to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks people is done and working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome!

P.S. when using Adobe forums, please mark helpful/correct responses of Staff/helper, if there are any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get cloud on a different drive ?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joseph,

I apologize for the delay.

You cannot change the install location for the main Adobe Creation Cloud desktop application.

But for the individual applications, please refer Download and install Creative Cloud apps

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does Adobe create a program that we can not have a choice on where to install it ?

Js Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can, copy and move using robocopy, then use a symbolic link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a poor solution from a company that charges so much for their product.  Even junk programs give you an option to change the drive location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not even the answer to the question ...... Great job staff for reading the question....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say this is a high priority to fix in the future.   The way most modern PCs are configured, the C Drive might be dedicated to the operating system and system backups, especially when you have a hybrid drive.  C drives are also usually the smallest for this same reason.  Many publishers like Adobe and Oculus might want to just come out and say that this configuration is unavoidable.  If it can't be fixed, PC manufacturers need to give us larger C drives off the shelf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidp17938119  wrote

I would say this is a high priority to fix in the future.   The way most modern PCs are configured, the C Drive might be dedicated to the operating system and system backups, especially when you have a hybrid drive.  C drives are also usually the smallest for this same reason. 

When you are doing "system backups" on the same drive you hold your system disk, than you will experience disaster when the system disk fails.

A standard system disk of 400-500Gb can hold a lot of programs. Mine is 367Gb and holds the complete CC including the Cloud synchronisation data including some other data. I still have 214Gb free.

You can install the programs, like Photoshop, Illustrator, ... on a different disk. You only need to install the the CC App, which is very small, on the system disk.

The whole disk layout is a choice of Microsoft. Adobe et al. are not the culprits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. Mine is different. select Icon wheel under apps and under syncingadobeFileSync.PNG

adobeFileSync2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop has a 128GB SSD C: and i am forced to install this huge suite of products on my C: with no option to select my 1TB HDD. All while being roped into paying £180 per year for this. The most basic productivity apps allow you to select install location. I've seen that you can change the option later by messing about with some 3rd party program, as someone else said, nothing about this simplifies the process, it's just an uncecassary nuisance.. The taste in my mouth is already bitter due to the ridiculous subscription model, this situation is not helping matters. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to echo that this is quite a serious issue - people are saying that the main CC app is "small", but it is many hundreds of MB that is installed to the C:/ drive no matter what. This is compounded by the issue here where Adobe apps won't install if there isn't sufficient space on the C:/ drive, even if you have set the install location to another drive with sufficient space. 

My C:/ drive is a 128 GB SSD for the Windows partition. The CC app is taking up a lot of the little space remaining on the drive, and I'm having to uninstall a bunch of other stuff in order to install Photoshop - even though I have over 2TB free space on other drives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines