• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use two extra ssd's in my desktop

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replaced windows 7 with Windows 10, and tne shop put it all on a Hynix 1TB SSD. Left my Samsung850 pro 128GB ssd and Samsung 850 EVO 259 GB inside the case, but unplugged. Not sure how to set them up before re-installing photoshop/lightroom program, but sure I could put them to good use. Thanks for any advice. 

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have to do video editing

Seagate-FireCuda 500Gig M.2 for Windows and programs and usual Documents files
500Gig SSD for temporary and output files

1T SSD for video and picture input files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you only using Photoshop and Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

generally, you can repurpose old hard drives for data storage. (this has nothing to do with adobe and applies to all computer users.)  

you should connect one hard drive and make sure it's running properly before connecting the other.  you'll need to connect one power cable and one data cable to each hard drive.  i recommend you google how to do this so you can get familiar with how you're going to connect your hard drives and motherboard (and use the fastest data cable your hard drive and motherboard will support).

segregating the os and installed programs on your c drive and everything else on your data drive(s) is a major benefit (beyond the obvious increase in storage space):

1. negligible os problems.

2. it's easy for the next computer upgrade.  you just move the data drives to the new computer and all your data is readily available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll do a bit of research and get clear on how to bring up the additional ssd, hopefully not causing a problem. It's full of old programs and pictures which I'll need to delete. How do I instruct the system to use one ssd for drives and one ssd for data?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I instruct the system to use one ssd for drives and one ssd for data?

By @Pursangman

By default, programs will be installed on your C drive.

You can assign a fixed drive letter for your other drives with Disk Management:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-assign-permanent-drive-letter-windows-10

You can also change the drive name:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-label-and-rename-any-drive-windows/

Then you can save data to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are just too many heavy bunches of wiring inside, and I have no idea which ones to use. I'm assuming that at the moment I can simply install my photoshop / lightroom "into" my new 1TB SSD and things will work ok until I get a friend to help hook up the additional ssd. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that at the moment I can simply install my photoshop / lightroom "into" my new 1TB SSD and things will work ok

By @Pursangman

Yes, that will be just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines