• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installation Errors on Win 11 for Photoshop Elements 2023 & Premier Elements 2023

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have licenses for Photoshop Elements 2023 and Premier Elements 2023 and am trying to install them on a new laptop running Windows 11.

I am not able to install them as I get installations errors at about 10% installation. Sometimes it just give a message with Error 183, but usually first give a "CustomHook_HD_EO.exe - System Error" stating it can't locate Msvcr120.dll.

I have followed the various steps to reinstall Msvcr120.dll but still have the error.

I saw someone else post about a similar CustomHook... error message with installing 2023. They said they could install the 2024 version. So I tried with Photoshop Elements 2024 and it worked for me as well. But since my paid license is the 2023 version I need to fix the error and get the installations working.

These were the first two programs I tried installing on this new laptop. I have since successfully installed other programs, so the issue is with the Adobe installations for the 2023 versions.

How can I resolve this?

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update each visual c++ that can be updated 

repair each visual c++ that can be repaired 

restart your computer 

retry installing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, and downloaded & ran the redistribution tools, already.  But I just tried updating, repairing, and restarted again.

Still getting the installation error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are still seeing the msvcr120 error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already replaced msvcr120.dll where other instructions and tutorials said to, so it is not missing. The installer just won't locate it or the error message is false. As I said the 2024 installer has not problem.

I will look at your link however to see what is different or missed, if anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem.  I've even reset my computer.  Have you gotten a fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob375461891p1k 

the first step is:

repair all ms visual c++ versions that can be repaired (use google if you don't know how to do this)

update your ms visual c++, if it can be updated (use google if you don't know how to do this)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got them to install. My initial attempt to repair visual c++ files did not fix it.

I used the link above and ran the file utility to repair files. After that I still got the error, however I noticed the installer % count continued before stalling at 79%. Something had changed so I did the c++ redistribution tool again and also the repair on the c++ files again. After the restart the installations worked.

It also seems the last c++ redistribution may have included a file the prior attempts didn't install, because I think the 2013 version was missing.

Anyway, after running the file repair and then doing the visual c++ redistribution utility and the repair in the c++ files, then a restart, it was fixed.

Another thought is I used a different download of the visual c++ redistribution tool, so that may have been a factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Unfortunately I took your other advice when you said photoshop 24 worked.

After spending at least 12 hours trying to get ‘23 to work, I bit the bullet, spent the $80 & upgraded

Thanks for both of you advices

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand as I almost went that route myself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi have tried all of the above and more what I could find. But it is not working. I really don't want to pay again for 24, as I bought 23 last year...any more suggestions?

And can I choose upgrade to 24 only (cheaper) while 23 is not installed on my computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue installing on a new Win 11 installation.  Was working fine on Win 10.  Adobe really needs to provide better support on this.  I have tried all the suggestions and nothing has worked.  I will NOT update to 24 and give them another dime on something that should work.  I paid for it they need to fix it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contacted Adobe support and they took care of it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will contact them, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing exactly the same issue on my new laptop with Windows 11 Home.

How are you contacting Adobe? I tried to find any email address but all I come accross are FAQs and chat bots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are 2 ways to contact adobe support; chat and twitter (now x):

chat:
if you have or want to purchase a subscription, use a browser that allows popups and cookies
and click here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human.

twitter/x:
tweet @AdobeCare

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<do not move from download and install..  no one in pse is responding.>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just through support on their website.

They will just give you the suggested fixed shown in this thread.

You will end up with two options. One is, if you don't have time and
patience to try to do the downloads and multiple restarts the fixes will
have you try, is to upgrade to the 2024 version, which seems to work no
problem.

The other is to follow the steps listed in the messages on this thread.
What works, steps wise, for one person's computer doesn't necessarily work
for others. I had to do the changes and restarts multiple times before I
finally go it to install properly.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the feedback. I've tried all the fixes from this thread and gave up. I don't want to mess up too much with a new computer. I will just go for the upgrade... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, an upgrade would definitely solve the issues. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Thanks

^KS

KS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2024 Aug 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed both latest versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. That is x86 and x64 and it worked for me. Hope this helps you.

Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had contact with Adobe. They tried to help, but is did not work. I have tried and installed many C++ versions.

I the end I have downloaded all the C++ versions I could find (up to 2007 or 2008, I suppose), and that worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines