• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Last Ditch Effort to Solve Install and Update Issues with CS5

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first post and it's going to be very direct.  I've spent 6 days and countless hours struggling with uninstalling then reinstalling CS3 (the updater NEVER worked correctly) and waiting for Adobe to complete a license transfer for CS5 Design Premium.  I also updated my MacBook Pro to High Sierra.  Once Adobe finally completed the transfer I tried to install the CS5 upgrade (also Design Premium) and while the first install went okay, I began getting error messages upon opening the first program.  "Not optimized"  I can live with that one even though it is annoying.  When I close a  program about 2-3 minutes later I get a crash log that program (take your pick) quit unexpectedly!!!  I closed the program minutes before on my own! 

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 3.40.29 PM.png

I tried repeated uninstalls and reinstalls.  Then I tried updating the CS5 installments.  Then this error began:

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 6.50.52 PM.png

Then I installed and tried a direct download from Adobe and after waiting for the download, I tried to launch the installer and got an error stating I could "cancel" or eject the disc?!

I decided maybe I should revert back to an earlier version of my OS.  I called Apple support  (VERY EASY TO GET A HUMAN ON THE PHONE) and the representative called Adobe for a three way call.  The Adobe Representative was hard to understand (just as the one I called Monday was) and third to repeatedly talk over me and had no intention of hearing my issues.  All he wanted to do was repeatedly read from the script, "Adobe no longer provides phone support for CS3 or CS5.   You will have to go to the forums." 

While I am somewhat understanding of not wanting to provide support for aging products, in a bigger picture it is thoughtless as it pertains to the customer.  I have a couple classic cars, I can still get support from dealerships when I need it.   Same with appliances.  As a consumer, I see it as an effort to push me into a corner and force me to purchase the great "Creative Cloud". Which was solicited to me a number times!  I can't bring myself to pay for a "virtual product" on a monthly basis for $70 or so a month and OWN nothing when I stop paying the monthly subscription! 

I bought my first version of Photoshop somewhere around 1992-1993 when it was on several 3 1/2" "floppy discs!  With CS3 costing just over $1,700 alone!  And That's the customer service I get?!?!

I've searched through your forums, just as Ive searched Apple forums and Google searches.  I get flooded with suggestions tom go into the terminal and type in these strings, download this program as a patch, etc.  I DON"T LIKE DOWNLOADING PROGRAMS RECOMMENDED AS FIXES IN FORUMS!  Which I've seen on Adobe's own forums!  One try at this sent me to the apple store with a grey screen!! 

When I search Adobe one of the "fixes" I am repeatedly led to is the direct download of CS5.  As previously mentioned after waiting for it to download, IT DOEST WORK!!!

Adobe has great software in the sense of what it is capable of doing, but it's useless without proper support at ALL LEVELS.

I am NOT a computer guy.  I am an ARTIST!  I don't need a lot of tech talk or forums to read!  I need a simple plain english answer and FIX!

Now, how do I FIX THIs?  I'm all "ears"...........

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

CS6 and earlier programs have not been tested and will not be updated for Mac El Capitan or later operating systems

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs in El Capitan or Sierra

--Adobe has a workaround to Apple's problem of not maintaining backward compatibility

--READ HERE https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2301916 for an Adobe solution to installing old programs, including

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You upgrade to Creative Cloud OR you get a compatible Mac OS system. That's your choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly why I find trouble shooting anything through a public forum a waste of time and effort.

And while it may have once been correct, even THAT answer is wrong!  Adobe Photoshop has a variety of great competition at much more reasonable pricing.  Affinity Photo ($49.99 one time payment), Sketch ($99 per year), Pixelmator Pro ($59.99), Corel Photo-Paint ($599 for the entire Corel Draw Suite), and GIMP or Pixlr for FREE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LINK REMOVED - NOT a valid site

Softwaremart is Legitimate Reseller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple answer is that CS5 is OLD and Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs

Adobe did not change your old program to make it stop working... Apple changed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Adobe didn't change anything!  That much is correct.  In regards to CS5 being "old" that's a term that is debatable.  Released in April 2010 CS5 hasn't even been around for one decade.  I'd hardly call a child of 8 "old". 

Irregardless, if I take my '77 Corvette to the Chevy dealership, their "young" mechanics are capable and eager to service it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the trolls are coming out....

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.43.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also received some request from different user name but I ignored and delete those emails..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One - Adobe does not use Skype, only scammers

Two - an Adobe employee has a big red STAFF by their name

Three - report scammers at Problem with a Scammer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 1.53.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.08.18 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly but I think there is no use better to ignore or read forum policy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.12.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.14.04 PM.png

Scammers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that possible to Install CS 5.5

Can't Install CS5.5 on Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 and earlier programs have not been tested and will not be updated for Mac El Capitan or later operating systems

-which means that you try to use CS6 and earlier at YOUR risk of having problems due to Apple updates

-Apple did not maintain backward compatibility with old programs in El Capitan or Sierra

--Adobe has a workaround to Apple's problem of not maintaining backward compatibility

--READ HERE https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2301916 for an Adobe solution to installing old programs, including a link to installing the old Java runtime that is required

--Also read for more information https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2458382

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John you seen to be the only person that is offering any real suggestion on how to fix this.  I'm going to try the links you noted.  Before hand, I am going to uninstall CS 3 AND CS5.  Can you offer suggestions on how to delete it ALL?  Seems there are always residual files left after the uninstall that need to be removed from the library/users/username/application support folders, cache folders etc and even still there seems to be traces that are left. 

Apologies that we may have gotten a rough go of it at the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had to use this myself, so I do not know if it will "clean up" for CS3 or CS5

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well BOTH are installed.  CS3 seems to work fine and CS5 as well with the exception of getting a crash log that ""Program" unexpectedly quit" but I can live with that at this point!

The link directing you to draw the installer to the terminal seemed to have worked for the most part.

Thanks for the assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported both to the forum Administrator, so they will, eventually, be banned

Scam reports may be made to the link I posted in message #12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly one of the reasons I would have appreciated some customer support from Adobe reps rather than posting on a public forum. 

Thanks for reporting though.  I have done the same.

And apparently Adobe "STAFF" don't do much in the way of answers through the forums either.  Just my personal observation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines