• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Processor upgrade has deactivated PS Elements 2020

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop Elements 2020 happily for years, on my laptop and desktop at home.

I upgraded the processor and motherboard, which Adobe thinks is a new machine, and has reverted my bought-and-paid-for product to trial mode. It tells me I have used up my two installations, and obviously I can't deregister from the "old" machine.

Support are refusing to help and do nothing but try and force me to sign up for an overpriced subscription. How am I able to use the software I bought on what was supposed to be a lifetime licence?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to ping @Jeff A Wright , an Adobe employee who may be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, @peters57502480 , but a significant change to the computer will be detected as a new device. Either of the changes you mentioned will cause the computer to be seen as a new device. You can use the steps listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/error-activation-limit-reached-sign.html if you want to deactivate Photoshop Elements 2020 on your laptop. Once the deactivation is complete, it can then be activated on the computer with a new processor and motherboard.

For future viewers of this discussion, please make sure to deactivate any installed Adobe software before implementing significant changes or upgrades to the computer. Processors, video cards, sound cards, and other connected devices are utilized to create the unique identifier that allows the computer to be activated. When these components are changed, it changes the identifier and will cause the need for a new activation to occur. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/error-activation-limit-reached-sign.html for steps to deactivate most Adobe desktop software titles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I deactivate it on my laptop - then I won't be able to use it on my laptop? Meaning I only get one device to use, rather than the two that I paid for?

Bit pointless putting that "for future viewers of the discussion" - people are only going to find this after their paid-for products are deactivating themselves!

Surely the correct fix for this is for you to remove all historic activations on the Adobe servers, then I can sign in again on my devices, and use the software on the lifetime licence that we originally agreed? From my conversation with your "support", I can see how desperate you are to get people to sign up to never-ending subscriptions, but it's very questionable that you're remotely killing people's software to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also it says very clearly on https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/kb/activate-deactivate-products.html -

"If the computer on which you installed the product is no longer available (for example, you have lost the computer, formatted the hard drive, or the hard drive has crashed), you can deactivate your apps from your Adobe account page. Then install the apps on the new computer and follow the onscreen instructions."

Presumably if someone did suffer a hard drive or other component failure, then they too would have lost their software forever, like me?

Yet the desktop and the Photoshop / Premiere installs are not visible here. Why? Again, I have no doubt it's about forcing people to take out expensive subscriptions by retroactively disabling paid-for software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any response @Jeff A Wright ?

All I want to do is use the software I paid for on the correct number of machines. Needless to say the phone call I was promised yesterday by someone else in your organisation didn't happen either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@peters57502480 

beware, any contact from someone purporting to represent adobe is much more likely to be a scammer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, @peters57502480 , you have one activation that you are still able to manage. Please make sure you deactivate it if you want to use it on a different computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So - you're saying I've got one activation I can manage and use on one machine. The second activation - that I payed for a lifetime license on - has been killed remotely by you. In a seeming attempt to force me onto your overpriced subscription. Have I got this right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also would I be correct in saying this quote -

"If the computer on which you installed the product is no longer available (for example, you have lost the computer, formatted the hard drive, or the hard drive has crashed), you can deactivate your apps from your Adobe account page. Then install the apps on the new computer and follow the onscreen instructions.""

from your website is nothing but a lie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jeff A Wright 

said, you had one activation remaining. ie, it's available now.  the other activation is being used.

the website statement is correct IF your deactivations were registered with adobe's deactivation servers and your account page is the same one used when purchasing/registering the adobe product.  ie, your checking the correct adobe id.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines