• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSE installation fails with error code 183 (CustomHook_HD_PSE.exe" failed with exit code: -10737415

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2024 Oct 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried this several times always with the same error; windows 11 x64. Running PhotoshopElements_2023_LS30_win64.exe and get the 183 error. This is the extract from the log file:

10/12/24 22:36:51:172 | [INFO] | 10004 | HDSetup | HDPIM | DownloadManager | | HDPIM | 8852 | Package (Name: AdobePhotoshopElements21_core1 Version: 21.1.0.313) Download info - DownloadSize: 434340332, DownloadPath:'C:\Users\heman\AppData\Local\Temp\{0F25E893-4B99-49D0-B8D5-823144B2AF32}'
10/12/24 22:36:51:173 | [INFO] | 10004 | HDSetup | HDPIM | DownloadManager | | HDPIM | 8852 | Enabling Bluestreak download for PSE
10/12/24 22:36:51:173 | [INFO] | 10004 | HDSetup | HDPIM | DownloadManager | | HDPIM | 8852 | Enabling Bluestreak extraction for PSE
10/12/24 22:36:51:173 | [ERROR] | 10004 | HDSetup | OOBEUtils | FileUtils | | OOBEUtils | 8852 | Path:C:\adobeTemp already exists
10/12/24 22:36:51:404 | [WARN] | 10004 | HDSetup | HDPIM | RunProgramCommand | | HDPIM | 8744 | Program "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2023\CustomHook\CustomHook_HD_PSE.exe" failed with exit code: -1073741515
10/12/24 22:36:51:404 | [FATAL] | 10004 | HDSetup | HDPIM | InstallHelper | | HDPIM | 8744 | Error (Code = 183) executing in command 'RunProgramCommand' for package: 'AdobePhotoshopElements21_core', version:21.1.0.313
10/12/24 22:36:51:437 | [FATAL] | 10004 | HDSetup | HDPIM | InstallHelper | | HDPIM | 8744 | Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobePhotoshopElements21_core Version: 21.1.0.313). Error code: '183'
10/12/24 22:36:51:484 | [INFO] | 10004 | HDSetup | OOBEUtils | ValidatorFactory | | OOBEUtils | 8836 | createFromType Validator type is TYPE2
10/12/24 22:36:51:536 | [INFO] | 10004 | HDSetup | HDIM | ApplicationContext | | HDIM | 19404 | Exit Code: 183
-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------
- 4 fatal error(s), 12 error(s), 17 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 183) executing in command 'RunProgramCommand' for package: 'AdobeElements21Organizer_core', version:21.1.0.313
FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeElements21Organizer_core Version: 21.1.0.313). Error code: '183'
FATAL: Error (Code = 183) executing in command 'RunProgramCommand' for package: 'AdobePhotoshopElements21_core', version:21.1.0.313
FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobePhotoshopElements21_core Version: 21.1.0.313). Error code: '183'

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2024 Oct 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2024 Oct 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried those steps prior to posting this error message. Is there a way to install Photoshop Elements only? I noticed that the error arises in the installation of Organizer (which I don't care about)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

contact adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and there's still help available from adobe support fo v 2023.  there are 2 ways to contact adobe support; chat and twitter (now x):

chat:
if you have or want to purchase a subscription, use a browser that allows popups and cookies
and click here, https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
in the chat field (lower right), type AGENT
be patient, it can take quite a while to reach a human.

twitter/x:
tweet @AdobeCare

p.s. if you're contacted by anyone (via email or private message), it's much more likely to be a scammer than an adobe representative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2024 Oct 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm not on a support plan. I tried to get support through Chat; but, if you've purchased an Adobe product and aren't on a support plan, you're SOL ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe supports current and one immediate prior version.  you have a supported prior version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... well I tried the chat option and was told I needed to be on a support plan; those without a plan have to try the luck with the "community" (this).  Perhaps there's another support avenue that I've missed? If there is, it would be helpful to have an email address or something to open a ticket .... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

retry support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retried it -- this is what I get from the chat bot: "To continue with agent assistance, please sign in with an active plan. I found no record of an active plan linked to (your email address)". So much for retrying....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2024 Oct 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what's your os?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 11 Home/23H2 (issue was resolved by Agent remoting into my system and installing additional libraries -- see latest thread)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got it, but why didn't you type "'agent" (possibly repeatedly) when tryinig to bypass the bot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you type in "agent" into the bot, you are thwarted with:

agent

To continue with agent assistance, please sign in with an active plan. I found no record of an active plan linked to (youremail.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that part I already posted before -- when you type "Agent" in the Bot, it
says you're not on a supported plan:

agent

To continue with agent assistance, please sign in with an active plan. I
found no record of an active plan linked to (EMAIL REMOVED).

THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM THAT SCAMMERS READ... Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ok ok ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update on this issue (it is now solved):

1. The chat bot does not make it easy to get to an agent -- it tries everything possible to direct you to an online resource and only as a last resort makes the Agent option available. I've attached the back and forth required to get to an agent at the end. Outwitting the chat bot is your first challenge in getting meaningful support from Adobe.

2. The installer assumes (never a good idea) that you have all the VC++ prequisites installed on your system. It doesn't check that they exist; it assumes they exist. If they are not there, it will exit with code 183. A well engineered installer doesn't behave this way. The cryptic error messages that shed more light on the issue need to be dug out of the installation log.

3. While I had installed both the latest VC++ libraries (both x86 and x64) on my machine; it turns out PSE needs all the OLDER versions of these as well. I was referred to this link:

Latest supported Visual C++ Redistributable downloads | Microsoft Learn

Install every single library here -- some of them libraries have the exact same name (but are a different version and size) and will be downloaded with a "(1)" at the end -- these are distinct and each of these 5 or so libraries need to be installed.

Conclusion: it is customary for install packages to ship with all required libraries. If that's not going to be the case, the installer should at least check for any missing prequisities. Exit codes that map to multiple distinct errors are not meaningful.  

========chat bot example==========

how do I get support for a supported version of photoshop elements?

Hi Hemant, I'm the Adobe Virtual Assistant. How can I help you?
You need help using Photoshop Elements or troubleshooting an issue. Is that right?
Yes
No
Yes
I want to make sure I understand clearly. Which of these categories best describes your issue?
How to access Photoshop Elements support
Support via Creative Cloud
How to find Photoshop Elements version
None of these
How to access Photoshop Elements support
Did that help?
Yes
No
No
Let's find another way to get you the help you need.
How would you like to proceed?
See more solutions
Start over
I'm done, thanks
See more solutions
Please select the best option for you.
Support via Creative Cloud
How to find Photoshop Elements version
How to get support for Elements on Catalina
None of these
None of these
How would you like to proceed?
See more solutions
Start over
I'm done, thanks
See more solutions
Please select the best option for you.
How to check Photoshop Elements requirements
How to use Photoshop Elements formats
How to access Photoshop Elements 2023
None of these
None of these
Did that help?
Yes
No
No
Let's find another way to get you the help you need. How would you like to proceed?
Chat with an agent
Start over
I'm done, thanks
Chat with an agent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't see where you type agent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right at the end -- it finally gives me the option "Chat with an agent"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines