• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subscription cost increasing AGAIN

Explorer ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this may seem petty to some, but to me it's upsetting. I've always enjoyed using adobe products for 10+ years and was rapt when they began the subscription service. It meant that their products were now streamlined and affordable.

Now though, they've increased their subscription price twice in as many years I doubt I am going to be able to continue with it. I have periods where I work and periods where I don't, and to keep having to deal with the increase in prices when what made it all so attractive in the first place was the competitive monthly cost is making it more difficult to justify.

This is a shame, it's upset me. I really don't know if I can afford $73 per month, it stings when I think i started off paying much less than that.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 131 Replies 131
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the CC since 2 years ago. And I don't think Colombian VAT applies to the payment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just canceled my Subscription because it's too expensive. After the conversion and tax for annual it will cost me $834.34 CDN.

It's time to lean Affinity Photo and designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's complete BS. Here are the stats I have been sharing with the managers at my organization. This is Martin Shrekli like behavior.

Our Adobe costs from 2008 to 2016 were under $4,000 for four users

Our forced subscription cost is now just around 4k annually (not including a three user license expansion)

Add 15% and our projected costs for the next eight years is  $36,800

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have really only needed 4 Adobe products over the past years: Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, and Dreamweaver. When Adobe switched to their subscription model they increased my annual cost by about 350%, taking away any control I had over my software expenses.

I switched to to Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and Sketch and home and have been quite happy with them. However, at work I have to use Adobe CC, especially Dreamweaver which I use primarily for its website file management capabilities. In return for increasingly higher annual software costs, I now have to work with "hostageware" (pay up or lose access to it), received little of use to me in new and improved software capabilities, and increased flakiness in Dreamweaver to the point that I've reverted to Dreamweaver CS 5.5  which was fortunately left on my computer.

I'm now in the process of trying to get the Affinity applications approved for work and looking at Visual Studio as a Dreamweaver replacement. Outside of still needing Acrobat Pro, I hope to be Adobe-free by this summer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

US user here, who just experience an unexpected, unannounced 59.2% increase to her subscription without any notice or explanation on March 16, 2018. I called Adobe when I noticed the difference a moment ago and expect a call back in the next hour and a half. Perhaps, others were just as surprised as myself.

I think I'll dig up my Adobe Creative Suite 5 disk and end my subscription, I get ticked when they update and rearrange my useful tools with each update anyway. I may revert to the dark ages but if I continue with my subscription who knows what the cost will end up increasing to. I weighed the cost of the subscription with the cost of the actual suite and decided to subscribe as it would make sense, since I was upgrading my creative suite every few years to stay relevant but the subscription doesn't make sense to me any more. I can't see any earth shattering developments coming soon, as there hasn't been many in the 6-7 years I've had a subscription. Sad day!

Also, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to debit someone's account more than the agreed upon membership price. Especially when it's an increase of more than 50% without notification, explanation or a cancellation offer. It even says so in their terms on their site yet, I wasn't notified. Nor, does it seem like any of you were. Come on Adobe, most of us are creatives and you know we don't get paid much in this profession. Maybe large corporations can easily afford it but students, freelancers and many others can't afford the ever increasing, now ridiculously priced subscription.

From Legal subscription terms | Adobe

Month-to-month, direct debit

Service begins as soon as your order is processed. Your subscription will continue without renewal notice until you cancel. If you cancel within 14 days of your initial order, you’ll be fully refunded. Should you cancel after 14 days, your payment is non-refundable and your service will continue until the end of that month’s billing period. Because there’s no annual contract, your monthly rate is subject to change, but you will be notified of any change in your monthly rate with the option to cancel in accordance with these terms. Cancellations can be made any time by visiting your Manage Account* page or by contacting Customer Support in your region.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenn,

Could you please share more details about the notice you received?

Like what type of plan exactly, when it renews, what the quoted price before and after? That would really help.

Guessing that you may be a student, and that your education status hasn't yet been revalidated for the new term... If so, then the rate would switch to full price. This, of course, is fixable.

But be assured that if your rate went up 59%, then there is either a good explanation or an error. Your callback with Adobe should help sort this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be honest, I really wish Adobe had taken Unity3D's "pay to own" position instead.  Regardless of tier, Unity's current subscription agreement states that:

After having paid for 24 months of subscription, you can stop paying and keep on using the version you have at that point. Of course, you would also stop getting new features, services or fixes...

This means a user would be in the same situation as those with CS6 – although they wouldn't be able to update it, the license they paid for would be permanent.  Under this agreement, users also have the option to return to Subscription later; taking advantage of any new features added to the software since, and even paying another 24-month cycle to make it Perpetual again.

–

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines