• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This morning's Creative Cloud Update just REMOVED FILES from my computer, how do I contact Adobe??

Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work at Backblaze.

We are getting a TON of customers reporting that when Adobe Creative Cloud updates

on the Macintosh (which it did this morning 2/11/2016) then it removes the

contents of folder /.bzvol/ which belongs to Backblaze (this folder does

not belong to Adobe Creative Cloud!!)   Removing this folder disables

Backblaze.  Here is an FAQ on it:

.bzvol is missing : Help Desk

Does anybody know how to contact Adobe to ask them to PLEASE STOP
ROLLING THAT UPDATE OUT.  Or possibly stop removing our software's

files?!

If you use Backblaze, you should stop installing Adobe Creative Cloud updates

until they start behaving better.  They might be removing OTHER RANDOM FILES

from the file system?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Hi,

CC build 3.5.1.209 has the fix for the problem described in this thread. We are rolling out the update and should be available to everyone soon.

Regards,

Anirudh Bhatnagar

Creative Cloud Lead Quality Engineer

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 115 Replies 115
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched helplessly as all the files from one specific folder just started disappearing Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately, it contained all of my working files for my clients. I spent the next 24+ hours trying to figure out what had happened. Contacted Apple tech support and we walked through everything to determine it wasn't a hard drive issue. Finally figured out that it was in connection to the Adobe update. I was on the phone with Adobe tech support and we both watched as more files (dummy files I had copied over to that same folder as a test) disappear. They finally told me they were aware of a bug with this new update and are looking into it. This was 24 hours after the original fiasco. Like braddock6921 the folder that was affected had a space before the first letter in order to keep it atop my hard drive contents. This folder contained Adobe files, but was not tied in any way to the Creative Cloud Files folder, which I do not use). No other files or folders were affected.

What are the chances, even if the bug is fixed that we'll ever see these missing files again? Where could they have disappeared to? I have run Data Recovery software and am not finding any of those files that have disappeared. This is beyond devastating for a small business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like rydesigns, I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out what had happened to my folders/files and ran a number of programs in the hopes of trying to retrieve them. In addition to that, I was worried there may have been additional files, further down inside my folders on my hard drive which too may have mysteriously disappeared. I had not idea that this might even be related to Adobe CC had it not been for a photographer friend and fellow CC user who read about this on one of his photography forums and then emailed me a link to the article. Immediately, an email should have been sent out to Adobe CC users to warn them of the situation and possible solutions to avoid any further 'destruction' to their drive's contents. I love working with the Adobe software, but a begrudgingly signed up for CC and now am seriously having regrets about doing so. CS6 did and still does most of what I need to do. As a freelance designer I can't afford the downtime this has imposed upon my work schedule. Not that any of us can afford the downtime, but I don't have a large corporation to 'absorb' the time it takes to try and search out the problem and then recreate any necessary lost work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite a violation of our trust, isn't it?

Since I still have my .DocumentRevisions-V100 folder, did something else get deleted?

Would Adobe like to offer us a data recovery tool ASAP so we can find out?

Will Adobe listen to their lawyers and do as little as possible to take responsibility for the damage they've done, or will they do whatever it takes to regain our trust?

So many questions…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A user posted this comment:

"While this is Adobe making a mess here, Apple by means of iTunes has already caused other embarrassing deletion incidents. In that case it was due to a script not supporting file paths with spaces in them. Sure this was a few years ago, but shows how sensitive deletion operations can be and how careful you need to be in testing. I still see a lot of scripts that don't quote file paths, so don't deal well with thing like spaces in general."

In any event, the CC 2015 direct download links are now back to being the latest build of the Desktop app, for anyone who wants to immediately access the new CC version 3.5.1.209.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be very curious if there is a way to retrieve those lost files. After running Disk Warrior I couldn't seem to locate them. I hope you get an answer to that question one way or another and that it does get posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - other folders can be affected. I had a clients folder named with an initial "space" so that it would show at the top of my window. Nearly 90% of the files in that folder were deleted by Adobe CC. Unbelievable!!!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Adobe released this update. Do they test before release anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At 11:29am today, I went to creative.adobe.com to download the Creative Cloud app. It downloaded and installed .206, as I just confirmed after launched and checking preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find:

• In the internal package contents plist, it says it is .209
  • in the user preferences pane after you install it, it says it is .206

No idea what it really is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be sure, is this only happening in the first folder in the root Macintosh HD directory? In the case of non-Backblaze customers, that would be the hidden DocumentRevisions-V100 folder keeping track of changes made in auto-saved documents.

A few questions I'm trying to answer now:

1. People that have folders with a leading space, are they in the Macintosh HD directory or somewhere else?

2. Is this folder emptying happening on launch or initial install of .206 or a continued process that happens all the time until an update is released? My CC app updated all on its own, but I opened up some documents to see if my version histories were wiped. I still had access to them, and also verified through Terminal that the folder had content (DocumentRevisions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davechapfilms - In my case, the folder with the leading space was on the top level of the Mac HD Directory, right up there with the Applications, System, and Users folders. It was simply named (space)Clients. I have since changed it to read _Clients as I understand that simple change will prevent the erasure. Inside that folder, about half of my client folders were removed to whereabouts unknown.

As far as exactly when and how it happened, I have the Adobe Cloud icon up in my menu bar and I'm assuming it is automatically updating something, although I'm not sure as I haven't delved into it that much. I recently needed an update from CS6 to CC Flash in order to create some HTML5 banner ads, so I really haven't upgraded my other CS6 software. 

Hope this helps to better understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌davechapfilms,

From reading, it seems file loses are from root directory, accessing the first folder in alpha order.

I've read that the deletion occurs when one logs into the CC account. Since I was still logged in when the update occurred, I seem to have NOT been affected.

If you refer to the Arstechnica article linked to in post 16, there is more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

197 GB of working files Gooooone! Wow.

Today was meant to be a great day.

31 degrees

Blue skies

A little work in the morning

A couple beers at the beach

Deadpool in the late arvo...

Um, seems things took a turn for the worst.

Oh Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the steps that are being taken is with their legal counsel, through Adobe's apparent negligence thousands and thousands of man-hours of work was likely destroyed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahahaha, your Ts&Cs are not worth the paper they are written on, the courts in the US do not look favorably on instances such as this...  But I am sure your legal counsel already knows that.

It will be interesting to see what Adobe does next and how much the monetary damages end up being

PS. I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is unacceptable that has released an update that have these flaws . In my case it has deleted all files that were contained in folders that begin with " - " the root directory. It has happened in two of the computers in my company were using Indesign, only on my hard drive have been deleted 45GB of information. Quite possibly we undertake legal action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mac OS X, 10.8 I think I am affected by this error from Adobe. I think my .vol folder contents were deleted.  By my bad luck, my clone backups were run end of day 2/12 and 2/13 😞   after the CC upgrade of .206

Now when I create a folder, I get a message to input my mac os x password.

I can't find anything on google (yet) that shows what should be in .vol folders.  That is my first hidden folder with write access.  Does anyone know what files are supposed to be in there ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still wonder just how many people out there may not even be aware of the situation with the updater and are struggling with the problem, thinking it's something they inadvertently did, or that their hardware may be failing them. Unless you follow the forums, etc. you may have not have received word of the updater issue. I don't recall actually receiving an email from Adobe regarding the matter. I have been receiving the Adobe Forum emails so I'm seeing that there are many others in the same situation as me, where I had a folder named on the root level beginning with an inserted space. And I too did lose hours of work. At this time, I've simply turned off the 'cloud' and will continue working with my CS6 versions of software until such time that I need to get back onto the cloud for a specific application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you!  The only reason I found out about this was because I have Backblaze as my backup and they discovered the problem.  I have heard NOTHING from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. I only learned about it via this post on MacRumors Friday evening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe had half a brain they would rapidly and proactively get out in front of this (partnering with Apple if need be) with an aggressive program to recover customer's lost data.  They need to take full responsibility for this.

Initially they need to identify the most likely folders that were affected and communicate that to customers with an initial fix

Their trust was compromised with the recent Lightroom debacle and now this...

Wow, any semblance of trust is gone!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌One question : WHY hasn't Adobe advised users DIRECTLY that they may have been affected?

Finding this out problem from third parties hardly builds trust. And scrabbling to work out what (if anything) has happened to my data is not a good use of my time. Thanks for nothing, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been FOUR days now and Adobe has failed to make an official statement or provide help to affected users.

Totally irresponsible and I will not be renewing my cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They did make a statement and also noted it in the release notes. You can't argue that Adobe pulled the update almost immediately and then issued the post about it. Also, they worked to provide an update on Sunday.

Release Notes for the CC App:

Release notes for the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app

Statement made Friday:

Creative Cloud Desktop Mac Issue | Adobe Customer Care Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but I had to google to find out why I was having problems two days after the fact.

I never received any email from Adobe and had no idea where my lost data went until I logged into Backblaze

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why didn't Adobe send out a mass email to their CC customers explaining the problem and the solution???

They are simply customer hostile...

I will ditch Adobe when my CC subscription expires and I will join in the class action suit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines