Highlighted

Compatibility of CS6 version Apps with Mac OS

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion and I use InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, all CS6 version (those are the newest versions I have of those programs). I would like to upgrade to a newer Mac OS but I want to make sure I don't lose the use of my Adobe programs.

Does anyone know what would be the newest version of Mac OS that would still be compatible with my little old CS6 apps?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test_Screen_Name | Most Valuable Participant

I recommend you consider dual boot (on a second disk). If you have old apps you don't want to upgrade for some reason, then you can boot the old system and run the apps. The rest of the time you can boot the newer system. Mix and match just causes endless issues, which will only get worse.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Compatibility of CS6 version Apps with Mac OS

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion and I use InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, all CS6 version (those are the newest versions I have of those programs). I would like to upgrade to a newer Mac OS but I want to make sure I don't lose the use of my Adobe programs.

Does anyone know what would be the newest version of Mac OS that would still be compatible with my little old CS6 apps?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test_Screen_Name | Most Valuable Participant

I recommend you consider dual boot (on a second disk). If you have old apps you don't want to upgrade for some reason, then you can boot the old system and run the apps. The rest of the time you can boot the newer system. Mix and match just causes endless issues, which will only get worse.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I know is that CS6 and earlier programs HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED AND WILL NOT BE UPDATED for Mac El Capitan or newer operating systems... so proceed at your own risk of problems

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Mac Book Pro (2015) and running Sierra with CS6. Everything is running A OK.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello !

Please let me know if you are a professional like a graphic designer working for print jobs.

To know if Adobe CS6 works well under Sierra 10.12 with color setting and print offices.

I'm a graphic designer working in Haiti for school books and I do not can aford to pay a higher version than CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

corrine_w,

If you want to keep using CS6, never upgrade your computer.

CS6 may work OK on Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave.  But it will never work on Catalina.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can expect problems if you upgrade to 10.14.  how many and how serious and what exactly they will be i do not know.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping to upgrade to something like El Capitan rather than the latest

OS. Just wondering if there are any “safe” options newer than Mountain

Lion, mainly so that I can update to newer browser versions, as I am

starting to experience problems with Chrome, which I suspect are because it

has not been upgraded BECAUSE Mountain Lion doesn’t accommodate it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.11 or less will probably be ok based on forum posts but adobe's official testing for cs6 stopped with 10.8 or so.

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is 8 months later, so I doubt anyone cares but I have been running cs6 on Yosemite with great success. (Cs6 works on Mavericks as well)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am running CS6 on Mavericks and it seems relatively happy.  Unfortunately I really need to upgrade the OS to at the very least High Sierra as Chome is playing up and I can't get the security and upgrades until I sort the OS.  I accidentally upgraded my Mac Pro to High Sierra and at a stroke it turned the Office Excel 2008 into the idiot version.  It took ages on the phone to work out how to re-install my dear old Mavericks!

Similarly, if I upgrade the OS then I will be forced into the MS Office 365 rent-a-bit system.  I do hate these 'Cloud" versions.  I am quite happy with the old versions (Office for Mac 2011 [and 2008])   Why do they have to mess around with things - adding so many bells and whistles that I'll bet any money most users - even the professionals don't fully understand

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to High Sierra on my production MacPro 5,1 which I use every day for paid work.

CS6 is working normally. There may be a slight problem with synchronising color settings via Bridge, I've had to set it twice, but it seems to have 'stuck' this time.

I've been using Sierra for the preceding year and that worked perfectly too.

5 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, one tiny wrinkle with getting color settings to 'stick' in InDesign CS6 under High Sierra.
After launching InDesign and before opening any documents, choose Edit > Color Settings... to show the "Your Creative Suite applications are synchronised" dialogue box. Just click OK—bizarrely there's no need to change any setting—and all will be well until you Quit the program; documents will Open with their stored color settings applied just like in earlier systems. 
At least they do for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. CS6 will run on El Capitan. I've been using it for a couple years now. My mini just died and I'm having trouble finding an older 2014 that will run El Cap just for dedicated CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines