• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All actions lag with Dreamweaver 21 (Mac) using "local" site in networked location

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every action, including focusing back to the window, stalls for anything from 2-10 minutes. A simple text edit on a page took nearly an hour to complete. This has made Dreamweaver 21.0 unusable. The problem does not occur with Dreamweaver 20.2 (although that's pretty laggy too, it's nowhere near as bad).

Note: this is not the typing lag issue mentioned elsewhere.

I checked Activity Monitor while Dreamweaver was running (and lagging) but there was no excessive CPU or memory demand.

I have just one site, with local folders on a networked location (smb share). The remote server is connected in a similar way but at a different location.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 on an early 2015 macbook air. There's at least 150GB disk space to spare so it's not that either.

Looking at other issues I might hazard a guess that this has something to do with our local site being at a remote location. I haven't tried moving the local site to a real local location – it's a very old site and will take a long time to do so - I may try that, but even if that solves the problem it won't be a solution as we have several people maintaining this site from different locations.

For now, I will continue to use the older version of Dreamweaver. If anyone has any light to shed on this issue I'd appreciate the help.

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OLD JOKE

Patient:   Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then STOP doing that.

For best results in DW, move your local site folder to your primary hard drive.  Don't use networked or cloud drives except as backups.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is great, but when it's something fundamental it's not so easy to stop doing...

Moving the local site folder to a local hard drive is not an option because there's more than one of us working on the same site. Is there another way of collaboratively maintaining a website with Dreamweaver that would get around that? I confess I'm no expert with this. 

My only other idea would be to install all this on a third machine, and then have users remote connect to that - the site would be local on the machine running dreamweaver but remote for the rest of us. It seems an awful lot more complicated though! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you using DW's File Check-in/out feature?

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/dreamweaver/using/checking-checking-out-files.ug.html

The idea is each collaborator checks files out of the server to work on them locally. And checks files back in to the server when done.  That way nobody can accidentally overwrite the work of another collaborator.

Depending on the project, you might want to set up GitHub versioning too.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/how-to/git-integration.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines