• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. User limite reached or not authorized to make the connection due to local firewall blocking FTP data.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As from this afternoon I get this error when trying to connect to any FTP server for all the sites I manage with Dreamweaver. There was no problem this morning and I didn't change any settings anywhere. I wonder what happened and how I can connect again.

I am using Dreamweaver CC on iMac OSX Mavericks.

TOPICS
Product issue , Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you connect with a dedicated FTP client like Filezilla?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For HostGator: I changed my login to the control panel login instead of the ftp login I was given.

It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was also to change the ftp address to that of my subdomain. The configuration given to me wanted me to use the top-level domain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please tell what protocol you are trying to connect with.

I mean if it is FTP, FTPs(explicit), FTPs(implicit), SFTP.

Also, what error you are getting. Sharing a snapshot would help.

Thanks,

Mahak Kudyar

Adobe Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I just switched to Cloudflare and I was having this problem.  Once I changed my Dreamweaver site set up to "FTP Address: ftp.mydomain.com" It was fixed.

Thank you so much!  You saved the day with your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad that my post helped you! I know that feeling when someone shares something that fixes your problem. I've had so many people help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Dreamweaver 18.2 is live. It can be downloaded from creative cloud Desktop application.

It includes the SFTP connection issue fix, Please refer to release notes:

Release notes for the 2018 and 2017 releases of Dreamweaver

Thanks

Kratika Agarwal

Adobe Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding "ftp" worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to connect to localhost -- on my own machine -- to test Dreamweaver work.  I get the same error.  No, I'm not on a corporate network. Yes, my firewall is turned off.  I have no problem to connect to my remote production server. The application help is similar; "type the perfectly qualified answer in this box and it will work."  Call you ISP for the perfect answer. No suggestions. No best practices.

What astounds me about this thread is that (a) every suggestion is about something irrelevant (like corporate network), and (b) that the users eventually discovered their own solutions.  From this I learned that I should stop googling the perfect thread and just muddle my way through it.

Rant terminated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Localhost is your computer not a remote server.

How is this 2 year old thread relevant to your question?  It's not.  It has absolutely nothing to do with localhost.  It was a problem connecting to the remote host's server.

Have you installed a local testing server -- wamp, xampp, mamp or mamp pro?

Is your local testing server running as it should be?

Have you properly defined the local testing server in DW site definition settings?

Did you choose the correct server type under the Advanced tab?

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy --

I'm not sure where else localhost could be but on one's own computer.  I got exactly the error message which is the title of this thread. It seemed relevant to me.  I'm not sure the code has changed in two years.  It wasn't unlikely that I would find a good answer here.  So I tried.

In answer to your questions:

* MAMP is installed and running fine, without conflict on port 8888.

* I have properly identified the testing server in DW.  I created my own php page that tells time.  It works flawlessly.

* Yes, I chose the correct server type -- PHP and MySQL.

The site works on my local machine.  I can view it in DW.  I am prompted to "discover" other dynamically-related files.  When I do, I get an error. When I test the testing (i.e. local) server configuration, I see yet again the error that is the title of this thread.

Your presumption that I am stupid may well be correct.  Your assertion that the thread is irrelevant to my problem is not.  But thanks for your interest.

Robert

ps. Here is a very long, but very helpful, post that may fix the problems of others who happen on this thread: Setting up a PHP development environment for Dreamweaver | Adobe Developer Connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title of this discussion is "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host"

The OP from 2 years ago couldn't connect to his remote server.

You're working locally.  Localhost is not host.  Localhost is your computer.  And you don't connect to your own computer with FTP.  You use local/network, right?

"Dynamically related files.." warnings can be caused by several things.  I see it quite often in my own sites when I have nested server-side includes within other server-side includes.  I just ignore the warnings .

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. Everything I tried did not solve it. Finally I noticed that for some reason all of my sites created in DW 2015 has simply dropped the usernames and passwords for my remote servers in the Manage Sites entry points! I re-entered the usernames and passwords and my FTP connections now function just fine. I am not sure if this is the issue but I had to change my Apple Account password recently due to someone trying to hack my account and I ran into the connection problem on my first attempt to connect to my sites via FTP. Who knows? If someone does please let me know it that was a factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Sierra + Dreamweaver 12.0.3.5861

Okay, had this error and it drove me crazy. Same deal: Filezilla gets into the several sites I manage, but Dreamweaver baulks at the latest server/site I've added.

These are the data the host provided for ftp:

Hostname: upload.ourserver.com

Username: ftp_yourwebsite_com

Password: yourpassword

Entering these data into Dreamweaver's Site Manager -> Server and clicking 'Test' just brought up the error window with a host of suggestions, all of them to no avail.

• Then I had a close look at Filezilla, which was able to connect immediately to this new host, using those data.
  • Filezilla's QuickConnect button has a pulldown menu.
  • One menu option was ftp_yourwebsite_com@upload.ourserver.com
  • ... which is a concatenation of Username + @ symbol + Hostname
  • ... which Filezilla had created all by itself

I hurried back to Dreamweaver, entered ftp_yourwebsite_com@upload.ourserver.com in the Username window, and...

[sound of champagne cork popping]

• Curiously, after connecting to the server, Dreamweaver changed the Username shown back to ftp_yourwebsite_com.
  • But it still connected after that, and continues to do so.
  • I don't know why this worked.

Stephen Gard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this on DW CC 2018 yesterday. For some reason u/n and p/w vanished in manage Sites/Servers/More Options. Apparently, it is a glitch in osx High Sierra whis is constantly look for security loopholes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the issue described in the original post. I've gone through this string, and several like it, looking for a solution, but none have worked (though I admit, the more technical ones went right over my head). I'm using Dreamweaver CC on a Windows 10 PC, and my webhost is Freeservers.  When I test my connection to the remote host, it connects fine. I can even move files around or delete them on the remote server, but every time I try to upload files I get the same error message. It's been like this for months. I've tried turning off every firewall, even the one in the router, to no avail. Turning "passive FTP" on or off makes no difference. I installed Filezilla and tried using that; it worked once, but a few days later it started giving me the same error.  I've been in contact with Freeservers support, but they say they haven't changed anything on their end, and  they haven't offered me any solutions I haven't already tried. Anyone have a suggestion that I might understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are happy to announce, the long awaited fix for SFTP connection issue has been addressed and is available in the latest pre-release drop. Please go the link Adobe Prerelease    and install the latest build 11099.

Try connecting to SFTP server with this build. Looking forward to your feedback!

Regards,
Mahak Kudyar
Adobe Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to use SFTP connection, instead FTP.
It worked for me.
cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just discovered a fix for this issue for the following error:

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 22.39.25.png

Basically in my case which may be similar to many others, was I uploaded the website to a host on cPanel to a folder that was >account>website_name>user>((website files)).

I needed to post these to the public_html folder, I did not specify this in manage sites.

So in my case, i moved my files in cPanel to the public_html folder but deleted the "website_name" and "user" folders on cPanel as they are now empty.

When i went to push files a second time that week to cPanel, i was getting the above error in screenshot.

I simply found out that dreamweaver was looking for the above path >account>website_name>user to post the ((website files)) to and it couldn't find it.

The fix is to re-create the folders that were deleted or missing and FTP them to those folders. Now ill move them again to public_html. To find out if you are missing folders in a path, check your FTP Accounts User Path and recreate any for dreamweaver to find and reconnect.

All works fine now with connections to FTP with Dreamweaver. It was just a file path issue in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am receiving this error.  I am a mere mortal that has to maintain a website.  I have absolutely ZERO website/computer intelligence AND I'm 52 years old.  So, you will literally have to tell me to "push the green squiggly thing" in terms of what I need to do.

My firewall is off.

What do I do now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Filezilla with the same settings and see if that works.

Download the client from https://filezilla-project.org/

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I will try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After trying everything, I went into the file folder in the hosting server and VIOLA! it connects. Then I re-uploaded the backup files on my local drive. Back in business!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines