• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to add a photo gallery?

Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My HTML and CSS skills are beginner. I basically want to add a simple lightbox gallery to my website without it being a headache to add media to. Using an external embed works fine for my purposes but unsure what is best to use. I can embed Behance but that just creates a link tile not embedding the gallery page itself. I would ideally like to keep everything on-site without the user having to navigate elsewhere. I could use Flikr which embeds it as a slideshow feature. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be better with a CMS. If your skills are beginner have you considered hosted solutions like Wix or Webflow to update your site and use their gallery scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Adobe Portfolio which works ok but is very basic and gives me very little control over the content. My idea of working directly with the code is, besides learning on the go, I won't be held back by the limits of whatever software/website I'm using and won't be tied to a particular service. So I'm using Dreamweaver but theoretically any HTML editor will do (e.g. Notepad++) and I don't have to start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Adobe Portfolio which works ok but is very basic and gives me very little control over the content. My idea of working directly with the code is, besides learning on the go, I won't be held back by the limits of whatever software/website I'm using and won't be tied to a particular service. So I'm using Dreamweaver but theoretically any HTML editor will do (e.g. Notepad++) and I don't have to start over.

By @Swandive stream

If you feel comfortable and want to host a gallery script yourself you could do that. The first thing to understand is what technologies you have available to you as they typically require a scripting language (ie: PHP) and a database (ie: mySQL). Otherwise you would just end up manually coding in your images every time you add new ones which even copying/pasting will become tedious over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My HTML and CSS skills are beginner. I want a simple lightbox gallery... without it being a headache.

By @Swandive stream

============

With a Creative Cloud Plan you have free access to Adobe Portfolio (websites & hosting) to showcase your work online. Projects on Behance are automatically imported to Adobe Portfolio (by default). 

Adobe Portfolio also integrates seamlessly with Lightroom CC, Lightroom Mobile, or Lightroom Web albums.  No special scripts or add-ons required.  See links below for details.

Lastly & perhaps more importantly,  Adobe Stock Contributors are able to share their Adobe Stock collections directly with Portfolio to help promote online sales of content for royalty fees & bonuses.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/articles/360036798993-Sharing-Adobe-Stock-Collections-on-Adobe-Portf...

Adobe Portfolio is a no muss, no fuss solution.  Easy to use like Behance and no coding skills required.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Portfolio now (https://fastertrack.com/) but it's very restrictive. I can add in my own media easily enough but have  virtually no control over the general look of the site and can't embed most things. It's also not very future-proof given Adobe's habit of dropping software like a hot potato (Edge Animate, Muse, Encore, Fireworks). The idea of working directly with the code is that it's transferrable and I won't hit the same can't-do-this limitations of working with CMS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe's habit of dropping software like a hot potato (Edge Animate, Muse, Encore, Fireworks)."

šŸ‘

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked up Wappler and it's another large subscription expense. $30 (basic) or $50 (pro)/month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get a 14 day trial after which you can take a one month subscription. That should allow you plenty of time to create the site. After that, maintain the site using VSCode (free of charge).

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Portfolio is what it is, a CMS. It's not commercial web hosting. 

If you need more than that, look at commercial services like Squarespace, Wix, Webflow or WordPress where you have more control over appearance and functionality via Templates.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines