• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Books that help you learn how to style bootstrap

Explorer ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone recommend a good book that might help me learn how to style bootstrap using the latest version of Dreamweaver?  I kind of had it all figured out in C6 but this newest version seems much harder to follow since it's such a small area. I can't really find any good tutorials on line to help me so I thought I'd try buying a book. My local bookstore doesn't carry any books on Dreamweaver of Bootstrap so it looks like I'd have to order something and I don't want to order something that may not help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

I know you're asking for books but books are almost outdated as soon as they hit the shelves.  And that's a problem with the Creative Cloud rapid release cycle in that book publishers & authors can't keep up with new versions.   

That said, the Classroom in a Book series is widely regarded by many as the defacto Dreamweaver bible.    https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Dreamweaver-Classroom-Book-Release-ebook/dp/B07L6NB965

But it won't teach you how to use Bootstrap. 

If you want to learn web developme

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're asking for books but books are almost outdated as soon as they hit the shelves.  And that's a problem with the Creative Cloud rapid release cycle in that book publishers & authors can't keep up with new versions.   

That said, the Classroom in a Book series is widely regarded by many as the defacto Dreamweaver bible.    https://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Dreamweaver-Classroom-Book-Release-ebook/dp/B07L6NB965

But it won't teach you how to use Bootstrap. 

If you want to learn web development pay attention to recent books on the subjects of  CSS Flexbox and CSS Grids.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=css+grid+layout&i=digital-text&crid=1MWO0XPKI9OX0&sprefix=CSS+%2Cdigital-...

Bootstrap documentation is posted online and that's the most up to date information on it. Customizing or Themeing Bootstrap with SASS variables is discussed at the link below. Global variables & mixins allow you to change colors, remove components you don't need, etc... without writing a lot of code. 

https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.3/getting-started/theming/

In addition, there are 22 pre-built Bootswatch Themes you can use freely.  https://bootswatch.com/  It's a simple matter of switching the Bootstrap CSS file at the top of your document to a Bootswatch CSS theme.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all that information and links. I know I could try and create my site with different free templates but I really want to learn how to do this myself and come up with my own layout. Maybe this is just way over my head. I can't believe I've been working on 1 page for 4 days now and still really have nothing to show for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sheryltoo  wrote

I've been working on 1 page for 4 days now and still really have nothing to show for it.

If most bootstrap users are honest, they will tell you that trying to learn what all the bootstrap css does, is almost impossible, (it is 100+kb). Most sites will probably only use 1-3kb at the most.

What you should do is look at different examples of complete pages, learning the styles used for layout, then the styles used for the actual styling, on pages and parts of pages you wish to copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it really helps to have a  concept drawn on paper or in Photoshop.  A simple pencil sketch is all you need showing where things belong on mobile, tablet and desktops.  Keep things simple.

Responsive web design basics |  (4 minute video)

The next step is to build your HTML semantic structure for content.  And add some hooks for CSS styles to grab onto later.

Define page structure with HTML | (12 minute video)

Last but not least, you build the CSS styles with media queries for mobile, tablet and desktops.

Create responsive design using media queries |

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines