• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browser caching!!

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time building a website on this new machine and I'm having a hell of a time with getting the brower to recognise any changes I make in linked css/js files..............old machine was never this bad, the browser virtually never cached the files. This makes it virtually impossible to develop/build anything without having to repeatedely change the name of the file constantly after each change..............how are others managing this, its pure frustration? I've never experienced this high degree of constant caching by a browser. I've altered the settings in Chrome to clear 'All Time' but that dosent seem to make a lot of difference.

Cheers Os.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Use Chrome in Developer Mode (Mac: Command + Option + i). 

Click on Network tab and check the box to Disable cache.  See screenshot.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Chrome in Developer Mode (Mac: Command + Option + i). 

Click on Network tab and check the box to Disable cache.  See screenshot.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

Ok, cheers I'll investigate once my head stops spinning, maybe tomorow, didnt know about disabling caching in the devtools, done that now, so we'll see how it goes!!

Without that its a case of sometimes the changes work and sometimes it doesnt.........impossible to work like that. For some reason the browsers on my old machine didnt seem to cache files to the extent that the browsers on this new machines do and when they did a refresh usually did the trick of clearing the cache.

Os

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait until you start docker or node projects and change sites. Mind-boggling.

For the rest, I do as @Nancy OShea has suggested. And to be sure, I keep the developer panel open.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait until you start docker or node projects and change sites. Mind-boggling.

For the rest, I do as @Nancy OShea has suggested. And to be sure, I keep the developer panel open.

By @BenPleysier

Hi Ben,

Not even going there, I think this will probably be my 'swan song'............I've come to realise I no longer enjoy building websites from scratch. I had a long lay off due to Covid restrictions and I've gotten used to less stress and problems which are associated with building them. It's not as if I need to do them for the money so I wonder sometimes why keep beating myself around the head for no reason!

Cheers

Os

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the more reason to create a website from scratch. If there is no pressure from clients, you can experiment all you like. Keeps the mind active. 

Hope you got through the virus thingy OK. Even there, I wonder if catching the virus is a good thing or not. It does privide a better immunity than the jabs that I have received so far.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well l agree it keeps the mind active for sure and l have no issue with that myself but actually experimenting and doing is another kettle of fish.........if l  am experimenting l can walk away from the problem unsolved, whereas if l am doing l have a responsibility to the client to solve the many problems involved.

It's not the front end l find stressful but making the backend cms idiot proof. l just find it's not enjoyable or satisfying working with forms. More so when the backend consumes the most amount of production time and clients don't appreciate it because its only them that see it, so consequently feel its not worth what you suggest its going to cost, which is double the front end build.

Not sure about catching covid, only if l survive. I have my booster jab booked for next week. We here in the UK are not well organised and its become a bit of a free for all in getting a booster jab, rather than a controlled age group invitation, like the first 2 jabs was. You have some 40 year olds already getting the booster and some 87 year olds struggling to get a booster. Anyway we have hit the panic button and have had more work from home, wear a mask everywhere, cancel Christmas parties orders imposed upon us in light of the Omicron variant.

Whatever, stay safe, wherever you are!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines