• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Businesses opting out of websites

Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2017 Oct 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What to make of certain businesses opting out of a website? For example, I have had a few dentists turn down a new website offer. Is this a growing trend?

It just seems absurd that someone would want to do business without a website in 2017.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably think Facebook is all they need.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In many cases, they're right.

It gives them everything they need minus the headache of grappling with web design software, dealing with web designers and fiddling with code. Plus, most of their customers are already on FB so interaction, feedback and reviews (the currency of today's web) are easy to obtain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why are we wasting our time trying to sell websites?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't. I solve customer's problems.

Ironically, many want help with Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Some want software tuition. Some simply want advice.

My services now are vastly different to 10 years ago. I used to hate maintaining websites, uploading the latest text edits or headshots etc. Don't have to do that any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

So why are we wasting our time trying to sell websites?

Websites are applicable for companies that want more than just a 'static' presence. Facebook might be adequate for some sectors i.e, Dentists maybe, as they don't sell anything online. Social media is not good at organisining data in a user friendly way..........so whatever - I still believe, as you do, that a company that wants to be taken seriously should have a website but hey ho I've been trying to convince for years and will likely die still trying to convince. You can only connect with like minded - **** the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

What to make of certain businesses opting out of a website? For example, I have had a few dentists turn down a new website offer. Is this a growing trend?

It just seems absurd that someone would want to do business without a website in 2017.

Not sure dentists are a good test of the water. One usually finds a dentist through referral and then stay with them for years (good repeat business) Dentists may not be looking for much extra business and most get their business through referrals from family or friends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this trend began over 7 years ago.

The reason why is simple if you think about it. Ask yourself why small buisnesses that are not selling anything via the web, require a web site?

This is especially true of those who have more clients wanting to use their services than they can possibly provide. It is also true of the corner shop/store, the local small city center buissness, or anyone who can now get the work they require via a dedicated app.

Even yellow pages will bring in more work than a web site for all the above, and with many of them having been miss-sold sites in the past, that never lived up to expectations, this trend will continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd think that the need to present yourself as a professional business online would be reason enough to have a website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was certainly the thinking 10 years ago and many SOHO's thought it was essential so they tried it.

It was awkward, meant learning an unfamiliar world, dealing with techies and did not generate any extra business for them. Plus they had the ongoing burden of uploading regular, new content and forever applying patches to ward off the latest virus or hacker exploit. They got very fatigued by the whole approach and yearned for something simpler.

I see many businesses now settling for FB or LinkedIn. They get excellent customer interaction, rave reviews and rich feedback. They're delighted. I know several SOHO's who have settled for this solution. It leaves them in complete control of their content and with an OK web presence. The adventurous ones explore Squarespace or similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulk7737514  wrote

You'd think that the need to present yourself as a professional business online would be reason enough to have a website.

I ask again why?

Even though i do have a web site, i have never tried to get clients via it, and I'm a web developer, so if i do not require one why would others, and believe me I still get lots of work offers that i do not want, and they are all via personal professional recommendations, not my site, (in fact i am wondering what to do with my site, keep it or not).

Web sites should fill a specific requirement, match the clients needs, offer more than every other site offering the same services, but they do not anymore. Look at any buisness in your local area that would not actually sell products online, then ask yourself what you can offer them that requires a web site, then look at the number of other alternatives and do a price vs returns comparisson for them all.

Even a Facebook page comes out above a web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Makes me wonder what Dreamweaver's role in all this is going to be. Short and long term.

A decade ago, I remember SOHO's proudly saying that their website was maintained with Dreamweaver. Now they've moved on. It's all FB, LinkedIn and Twitter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Waller  wrote

Yep. Makes me wonder what Dreamweaver's role in all this is going to be. Short and long term.

Don't get me started John, I'm trying not to upset too many people

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see quite a few Creative Cloud subscribers using the free Adobe Portfolio as their primary website.  Not something I would do but if they don't try to use it for e-commerce, it's probably all they need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy.

Have not explored that option myself yet. I'll have to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy -

Does Adobe portfolio offer the possibility for me to upload demos for forum users, as that is the only reason i still have a site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PF is a closed CMS with no access to source code or FTP.  It's aimed at non-coders.  In a nutshell, you pick one of the pre-fab PF layouts.  Add some images and text and hit publish.   It also imports photo collections from Lightroom Mobile making it a good fit for photographers & graphic artists.   Optionally, you can sync content to your Behance page for greater exposure.   

Owing to PF limitations, you can't upload your own HTML, CSS or JS files directly to PF servers.  But you can link to outside websites.

Also, PF currently supports embedding content from the following sources:

Adobe Experience Design, Adobe Voice, Bandcamp, Dailymotion, Dartfish, Flixel, Flowvella, Gfycat, Giphy, Google Maps, Interlude, InVision, Issuu, Marvel, Marmoset Viewer, Mixcloud, Prezi, Scribd, Shapeways, Sketchfab, SlideShare, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tableau, Verold, Vimeo, Vizor, Wufoo, Youtube, Tictail, Soundgine, Juxtapose.

For Adobe Spark, visit this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Nancy -

Does Adobe portfolio offer the possibility for me to upload demos for forum users, as that is the only reason i still have a site?

Some ACPs use their free Business Catalyst account for posting demos.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that should help to understand that web site is not THE unavoidable tool to use over the internet... it's just one of the possibilities of the panoplie that we have at disposal out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines