• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I import a HTML site into Dreamweaver?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have an old Dreamweaver site I want updated to a fresh new layout.   Problem is the guy I am looking at hiring for the job will be creating the new site in html, while all I know is Dreamweaver.

What happens if I open up the new site in Dreamweaver?   Will it error out from the start or cleanly convert it to Dreamweaver friendly code?  Or worse, will it create a blended bowl of mush?  

Sincerely,

TV Horstmann

Thomas Horstmann

TOPICS
Code

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem, Dreamweaver does not create any mystery code. In other words, you can open HTML files in any code editor including Dreamweaver,

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Ben said, there is no problem opening a web site (created outside of DW) by DW.

Just :

1. Create a folder on your local drive for this purpose
  2. Create a new site from DW pointing to that local folder, as local location (Site > New Site)
  3. Using copy files , or FTP connexion (depending whete this site is located), get all the site files in that folder
  4. and that's it

where this site is currently deposed ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver is not a special platform or a system.  It's a code editing tool for people who know how to work with code.  Dreamweaver CC 2021 supports the following code types: (see screenshot). 

image.png

But the bigger question is do you know how to maintain code?  It not, then your web developer should build your new site with an online content management system (CMS) like WordPress or Joomla!  That way, you can edit content without touching code and potentially breaking the new site.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,   thanks for the feedback.   My first experience at creating a site was custimizing a template I purchased online a decade or so ago.  And I steadly improved it over the years before hiring a full time webmaster.  We were doing amazingly well back then, before the great Recession of 08 hit.      That pretty much marked the end of my company.  

Yet, I am hoping to relaunch with a new layout I originally designed at Moto-cms.     Ever sense I have been trying to find someone to recreate my blended cms site into a fully functioning Dreamweaver site.   Two plus months into it, I haven't yet found anyone willing to take on the project.    Yet, I am keeping my ears open for a gifted and affordable Dreamweaver designer to recreate our blended cms page into a fully functioning Dreamweaver html pag.  

If you have any creative suggestions, or want to take on the project please message me.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet, I am keeping my ears open for a gifted and affordable Dreamweaver designer to recreate our blended cms page into a fully functioning Dreamweaver html pag.  

By @TVH25

I am not sure if I have understood your request correctly, in this sense, let me rephrase the situation, and correct me if necessary.

you would like to convert your current website which is online, and which is powered by a CMS, to a website which will be managed in pure HTML from DW.

if this is the case, wow...

of course nothing is unfeasible, and this undertaking can be carried out, but depending on the current volume of your site, depending on the frequency of updates, and depending on the peripheral functionalities, (user comments, sharing content on networks, printing an article, etc...) it would mean...

"... please, I would like to stop using a semi-trailer to transport the thirty tons of soil from my construction site, but rather use a shovel and a wheeled cart... is this possible? ..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Forgive the sarcasm but do you tell your plumber which wrench he can use?  Or the Uber driver which kind of car to drive?  I hope not.  Project requirements dictate which tools to use, not clients.

DW is a good tool.  I use it frequently.  But it's NOT the only tool we use.

I gather you had some limited success with DW and a template 13-14 years ago.  And now you want a new site that you can maintain the same familiar way.  But I fear you may be missing the bigger picture:  HTML alone doesn't DO anything.   Next you'll be wanting a shopping cart, CRM and data management solutions  -- none of which can be handled in DW by HTML alone. 

Scripts do the heavy lifting and programming skills are essential for creating functional websites that do more than just take up space.  I may be wrong but you don't strike me as a programmer. 

I'm sure any knowledgeable developer could take this project off your hands and build what you need if you let them use their preferred tools & frameworks. 

Good luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines