• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Classic ASP web page will not render after being edited in Dreamweaver 21.2

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edit an existing web page in DW 21.2, I find it will not render; that is, it will display as a blank page. When I look at the page source, it is blank also. This is happened to several pages. When I examine the page code, it looks fine; even comparing it to an earlier working version shows no discrepancies between the two. Scanning the page for spurious illegal characters is to no avail, as does opening the page file in another editor, such as NotePad and then making a simple edit and then saving it.. I am an experienced web developer and primarily use DW because it gives me a concurrent display of the page layout and the code. I don't use the web builder features of the product. I've been using DW for several years and haven't had any issues like this until the last couple of weeks or so. My computing environment is Widnows 10. Regards, Bob Shatzer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were ever able to render ASP in latest Dreamweaver, it's news to me. Dreamweaver ended support for ASP in 2013. Classic ASP is basically dead. 

That said, you can try Restoring Preferences.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Visual Studio Code might be a better IDE for this.  I think you can still find classic ASP extensions for VS Code.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response. I fully realize that Classic ASP is basically dead and further, that DW no longer supports it. Unfortunatly, I am working with quite a large legacy commercial site that is written in Classic ASP. Since it still works quite well for our purposes, there's not a lot of motivation to rewrite it in .NET, as much as we'd like to. I typically use VSCode with the Classic ASP extensions and WEBuilder for most of my work.

As I stated in my original message, I primarily use DW because it gives me a concurrent display of the page layout and the code. I don't use the web builder features of the product. I have sort of a love-hate relationship with DW and would love to find something that gives me that ability to do what I do with DW, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there.

Anyway, getting back to my problem: I appreciate your uggestion, but it didn't help. Basically, I take a working web page, modify it in DW, put it back up on the site and it doesn't render. Both the page display on the site and the 'view source' display is totally blank.

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards,

Bob Shatzer

Synergy Management Solutions, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you validate Live Code to ensure it contains no critical errors?

https://validator.w3.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like something is happening during FTP.

Have you compared the file sizes between your local and uploaded copies in DW's expanded Files window?

I'm guessing the server ones will be much smaller, if not 0 kb.

Have you tried uploading with something else like the free Filezilla Client to verify it's not some kind of server setting that changed recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point made by Jon. 

Also check Edit > Preferences > Code Format > Line Break type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines