• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS3 Bug with Server Behavior Command?

Jul 09, 2007 Jul 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

by updating a "Command" with the Server Behavior window (windows XP) the upcoming window does not read all the Defaulkt Values and Run Time Values anymore (do not know if ever did).

Here is an Example .

anybody saw the same problem? Or anybody knows a solution?

thx
Sebastian
TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2007 Jul 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed this as well. Are you using ASP/VB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - ASP.VB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as me then. Have you had an issues dragging command bindings on to the page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not yet - but open an other thread for this. Its easier for adobe support.
regards - sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already did and got no response about it, or a response from opening a support case with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2007 Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have finally had confirmation from Adobe that this problem is a bug and that their most senior techies are aware of it and will be producing a fix for it at some point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing exactly the same bug in CS4.  It's sad to see that this thread started in CS3 and the bug continues in CS4.  Will it ever be fixed??  Or, am I going to have to keep my version of MX 2004 on hand to put Commands in my websites?

Is Adobe trying to become MS FrontPage and cater to home website builders who want to create static html sites, or will they continue the path that Macromedia was on in letting us create dynamic sites for content management systems which is what the world wants?  Dreamweaver has continued to get worse since Adobe bought Macromedia and then bought InterAKT to kill their extensions.  What's up?  Will the bugs ever be fixed??

By the way, you can't copy and paste recordsets in ASP/VBScript anymore in CS4 either.  You get errors.

This product just keeps getting worse.......does anynoe know how we can best report bugs??  I don't think Adobe spends anytime in these forums.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe trying to become MS FrontPage and cater to home website builders who want to create static html sites, or will they continue the path that Macromedia was on in letting us create dynamic sites for content management systems which is what the world wants? 

No, it's definitely not going in the direction of FrontPage. The trend that I perceive is a move away from catering to the non-programmer. There's still a long way to go, but Dreamweaver CS4 is designed much more with the hand-coder in mind. The emphasis in CS4 was very much on JavaScript and CSS.

I have no idea what's planned for CS5, but I would not expect Adobe to put a great deal of effort into classic ASP. Microsoft abandoned ASP nearly ten years ago, and its relevance is likely to continue to dwindle, albeit slowly.

anynoe know how we can best report bugs??

Use the official feature request/bug report form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform.

I don't think Adobe spends anytime in these forums.

Members of the Dreamweaver development team do drop in from time to time, but this is primarily a user-to-user forum. As it says on the main forums index page: "Forums are. . .  an alternative to Adobe’s official customer support channels. If you require one-on-one assistance or prefer to contact Adobe Customer Care directly, please see our support program options."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David.  Good reply.  I understand that MS dropped classic ASP.  However, Dreamweaver has not yet dropped it.  Instead, they simply no longer fix the bugs, and they introduce more with each version.  MS seems to be on .Net, yet that isn't there in CS4.  Dreamweaver seems to be headed to PHP only.  That seems to be the only platform they make work.  A preliminary conclusion is that I need to retool for PHP or find another development platform to replace Dreamweaver.

I, too, have to hand code, but the server behaviors and extensions speed the process.  It would be nice if they worked.  Why advertise an ASP platform if you have no intention of making it work?  It's interesting that most of my handcoding these days is to recode when Dreamweaver inserts bad code.  Good thing I know how to fix it.  Dreamweaver has to be driving non-coder crazy!!  It drives me crazy simply because I made the mistake 8 years ago of letting server behaviors and extensions speed the process versus building all my own libraries.  I thought that's what Macromedia intended.

I just get frustrated by seeing Adobe buy companies and then trash products.  CS4 is my first venture into Adobe for Dreamweaver.  I used MX 2004 as long as I could.  The sad truth now is that I have to keep using MX 2004 for the areas where CS4 is buggy.  That's a sad development platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It drives me crazy simply because I made the mistake 8 years ago of letting server behaviors and extensions speed the process versus building all my own libraries.  I thought that's what Macromedia intended.

I don't know what Macromedia's plans were. Times change, and with them, so do priorities.

I just get frustrated by seeing Adobe buy companies and then trash products.

I don't think Adobe has done that. Most, if not all of the Dreamweaver development team are the original Macromedia engineers, and Adobe's Chief Technology Officer is Kevin Lynch, Chief Software Architect and President of Product Development of - you've guessed it - Macromedia.

I'm sorry you're having problems with bugs. No software is perfect, but I find CS4 the best version of Dreamweaver that I have used yet. Still, I abandoned ASP about eight years ago, so that might explain our different perceptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense.  However, I am very disappointed in the Adobe employees who came from Macromedia.  My experience with Macromedia products is that easy to fix and obvious bugs got fixed.  They amost always had releases between versions that fixed bugs.  I don't see Adobe fixing repeatable, and grossly obvious, bugs.  I looked at the downloads area and saw that they never released any patches for CS3.  Some of the bugs I have reported this morning were originally reported in CS3 two years ago and have never been fixed.  My opniion is this.......if you aren't going to fix a bug in 2 years' time, and through two versions of the software, take the feature out of the users manual and out of the product.  Users will be frustrated reading the book, copying the steps exactly, and finding it doesn't work.  It's hard to take a product seriously when it is bug riddled and the company driving it doesn't seem to care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the downloads area and saw that they never released any patches for CS3.

There's a good reason for that. The user interface was changed completely between CS3 and CS4. That was a massive undertaking, and once any changes had been made, it was impossible to issue an interim release.

I have no idea why the ASP command feature hasn't been fixed. I don't know enough about ASP to know whether it would take a lot of work to put right. But I agree that if it's not going to be put right, that section of the documentation should be removed or amended accordingly. I'll pass on your comments to the documentation team, but don't expect things to happen fast. The man in charge of Dreamweaver documentation went in for surgery today, and will be out of action for a few weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  But if you have any pull, you should pass the note along to the Dreamweaver team and have them fix the bugs.  The Command server behavior makes a few small errors.  It's a pretty easy fix.  I understand the massive change from CS3 to CS4 and that likely made sense.  However, now that CS4 is out the door, I hope they release a patch and fix the simple stuff.  They should have just fixed some of the CS3 bugs when they created CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you have any pull, you should pass the note along to the Dreamweaver team and have them fix the bugs.

It's not a question of "pull". Adobe (or any other software company) decides what to fix, improve, or drop on a cost/benefit basis. Fixing an ASP feature might be relatively simple, but doing so means that something else gets ignored. The ASP feature might be very crucial to you, but if Adobe considers it a low priority in terms of affecting overall sales, it's unlikely to get fixed. Whether that's the right business decision is not for me to say.

I have submitted a large number of bug reports and feature requests over the years. Some are acted upon, others aren't. So far, I have accepted that the new features are, on balance, worth more than the features that haven't been fixed or implemented. Each user has to make the same decision. If people stop buying Dreamweaver because they think Adobe has made the wrong choices, either Dreamweaver will decline or Adobe will change its policies.

I have seen new tools, such as Zend Studio, offered by other companies that do PHP things far better than Dreamweaver. I use Zend Studio, and like it a lot; but as an overall web development tool, Dreamweaver still beats it hands down. But neither Dreamweaver nor Adobe can rest on their laurels. That's why I encourage people to make use of the feature request/bug report form at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform to tell Adobe what's important to them. There's no guarantee that your ideas will be adopted, but it's the only sure way to get ideas directly to the people who have the power to implement them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the business lesson.  I stand by what I said.  Fix it or pull it from the users manual and help sheets.  Anything less is weak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also use the Server Behaviors - commands.  I have been coding in Dreamweaver since it was Ultradev 4.  I'm now on my 4th copy of DW (CS4) and this is the first version where the commands DO NOT WORK.  I don't know about CS3, but CS4 will not even recognize that the command exists.  I've gone through Ultradev 4, MX, 8 and now CS4.  It's is extremely frustrating now that I've built numerous dynamic applications that use these commands.  The beauty of the commands is that you can simply call SQL stored procedures, which is so much more powerful than just running a simple SQL query from the web page.

Now unfortunately, I can't update any of my old applications since CS4 does not recognize any of the commands that were created in the prior versions of DW.  My only way around this is to use DW 8.  So now I have two versions of DW that I need to use to maintain these sites.

BTW - I'm using .asp/javascript for most of my sites/applications.

Please, please, please, Adobe ... fix this issue !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines