• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver 2017 code coloring on MacOS Sierra?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to customize my editor code colors. There is a Brackets theme solution for people on Windows, scroll down to Per Berntsen Nov 3, 2016 8:15 AM:

Re: Code colouring in dreamweaver 2017

My question: does anyone know where exactly (in which folder path) one can find the main.less and package.json Brackets style files on the MacOS Sierra operating system?

Or, how to edit Brackets code color theme for Dreamweaver 2017 in MacOS Sierra?

Thanks,

Dean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Hi everyone,

Please update to the latest version of Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 where most issues with code coloring have been addressed.

See Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 is now live  for more info.

This document  https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/customize-code-coloring.html has been updated to reflect changes.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew updating so soon was a stupid move!! Idiot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would they remove the color themes from this version? Seems like a feature you would want to keep. Now only having "light" and "dark" settings seems like a step backwards. Does anyone have the link to vote this back in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've heard from the people who were involved in the Beta, it was there, but was removed prior to release. With all of the other issues the program has, there may be a fairly welcomed dot release in the near future. Dreamweaver Help | Known issues | Dreamweaver CC 2017

There are several vote-able feature requests in the Ideas section dealing with CC2017's short-comings, a few have to do with the lack of color options: Dreamweaver Ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Dreamweaver Team hereā€‹ some work-arounds for code coloring, (You can also vote at that page to have code coloring returned to pre-2017 version):

"Weā€™re reviewing the idea of how best to re-introduce the custom code coloring. In the meanwhile, please see this Help page: https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/customize-code-coloring.html. This should help you further customize dark and light themes, as a workaround."

--dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted the "bring back color coding" idea. Why would you take this feature away? It makes no sense. Now I am having a really hard time reading my code. Even free TextWrangler has different color themes and you can edit them. I'm probably switching back until this is fixed too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brackets is the new code editor so the color schemes are no longer handled by XML files.  Code colors are handled by LESS and JSON files now.  I'm guessing the team didn't have enough time to bring old color themes into a new code format.

In the meantime, I grabbed a Brackets code color theme from GitHub and manually installed it in my program files folder.  It took all of 2 minutes.   See link below (reply #9) for details.

Re: Code colouring in dreamweaver 2017

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Nancy, Just wanted to point out that your solution works specifically for Windows users.

For Mac users, you need to access the LESS and JSON files differently, please see my accepted solution to this question: Dreamweaver 2017 code coloring on MacOS Sierra? i

--dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying that, Dean.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still limited regardless, can't do language specific code colouring.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Please update to the latest version of Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 where most issues with code coloring have been addressed.

See Dreamweaver 2017.0.1 is now live  for more info.

This document  https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/customize-code-coloring.html has been updated to reflect changes.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

After reading through the link you sent, it looks like I still am not able to use built-in themes like in DW 2015? Or add someone else's custom made theme?

My issue is that I depend on RecongEyes theme for all my PHP code work. Not being able to use this is really a problem.

It also looks like I can't just add another prebuilt code coloring theme?

Hand doing my own code coloring theme is not an option. That is what I'm paying for monthly for your app. It already exists and works great in 2015.

Best,

Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Brackets integration is just like the Live View rubbish all over again, its a complete waste of time and Adobe are trying to save face by patching up a feature that is garbage and a retrograde/backward step, would be better off reverting back to the old code editor and starting again from there and while you're at it Adobe get rid of Live View too and take the time to look at improving Design View which a LOT of people still make use of.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely, Dean.

Nothing short of fully restoring the human-oriented, UI based code coloring functionality we already had in DW 2015 is acceptable.

I attached two screenshots from DW 2015.

Instead of this, Adobe now offers us to spend enormous time and effort to "understand selectors", download another utility that helps learning it, and then edit by hand some bizarre code - complete with the joy of typing color values rather than selecting them from a picker.

I hope that it was just a first step to restore the original functionality - and it's totally understandable that Adobe couldn't come up with anything better during this short time. And it's also obvious that Adobe does listen to us.

Until then I'm happily back to DW 2015 - which already has a great color scheme I don't even need to edit anyway.

code-coloring.pngphp-color-scheme-edit.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed CC 2015 back.

CC 2017 without custom code coloring ? Why? Forget it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new solution works for me. Editing CSS is not difficult. But NOT EASY at all to understand what you change. Modify one parameter at a time to see what changed... No color picker ! This sounds like "Here is the tool. You got what you want, it does not interest us.".

OK it works...

I expected nicer and better from Adobe. Disappointed.

Francesco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Franceso,

You should see the Color Picker working for you - delete the color value and start-typing from #:

I realize this is a bit of a workaround, we've filed a bug.

Regards,

Suhas Yogin

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver does not have a mechanism for learning a developer personality, so Adobe tries to guess the personality of the developer, based on what? Each developer is unique in its personality. So Adobe, please stop try to reinvent the wheel in the basic features of the application. You did the same when removed the old collapsing tool (a very good tool and very useful for many people) in 2015.

If I'm using an old tool, that means it's important to me. It's really frustrating to see Adobe take another step back with experienced developers and receive complaints after launch new versions. I use dreamweaver for a long time, but it is increasingly a canned application that can not be customized according to our work, according to our personality (off course we personalize with our like in search of more productivity and not a preciousness).

And before anyone says "you can customize in the main.less file .." I answer: yes, it is possible, I read about, but I'm going to waste more time. My Dreamweaver 2015 was completely colorful custom for my use. Common sense of programs says that Dreamweaver 2017 should get obtained my preferences from the old version. That's why I paid Creative Cloud, to easy my work.

[Addedd in JAN-16-2017]

I abandoned the use of dreamweaver 3 days ago. It's absurd Adobe put concepts of Bracket Editor in Dreamweaver. I paid CC for practicality.

Well, I'm using Sublime Text now, it was hard to set up for my taste, but, if I would waste time reconfiguring Dreamweaver, so why not waste time to configure a very very cheaper editor, and cool? DW in my opinion is going to be an editor for starters and designers only, not for experienced programmers.

Adios dreamweaver.

Thank you Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have started working on ā€œCode Coloring Customizationā€ improvements by adding support for customization of generic and language specific colors and the changes are available in our latest Prerelease drop.

With this improvement you will be able to customize Code Colors in Dreamweaver Preferences --> Interface window.

Please join Dreamweaver beta program from below link and try out the feature.

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/9EB451B5-D2E8-46E5-AFA2-78C85442FFA2/participate/CD0C95AA-6274-...

Thanks

Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

We have started working on ā€œCode Color Customizationā€ improvements by adding support for customization of generic and language specific colors.

We have further stabilized the code coloring feature in our latest Prerelease build 15333.

ā€ØYou can refer to below thread for more details on code coloring customization improvements.ā€Øhttps://forums.adobeprerelease.com/dwalpha/discussion/467/dreamweaver-build-15333-is-now-available#l...

Please join Dreamweaver beta program from below link and try out the feature.

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/9EB451B5-D2E8-46E5-AFA2-78C85442FFA2/participate/CD0C95AA-6274-...

Please go ahead and try out the build and let inflow your thoughts/suggestions. Looking forward to your valuable feedback.

Thanksā€Ø
ā€ØDreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines