• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CC Crashes Constantly

Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded Dreamweaver CC last night. Cannot keep it open for more than a few seconds. Noticed if I open a file, no code shows in the Code Inspector. If I click the X to close the file, DW CC crashes. Think this release came a out a bit too soon. Buggy as hell.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 134 Replies 134
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben. Good points but it is not what is happening here. This is tested on multiple machines and this can be re-created on any of different computers in our office. All other software, programs work great and no problems on any computers, no crashes, etc. This is an issue with Dreamweaver, we can prove. Since it is so hard to try show and/or explain and get Adobe help... (they basically take you through ALL the steps on the scripted problem solving...), I think I may make a short video clip and that might be the only way to get help. We can still work and get websites done, just by making sure the CSS Designer panel is not open when we close the final page. But is should be fixed, it is annoying and quite often we want CSS designer panel open, Code view etc., then you close your last web page, and it crashes DW.

Certainly this problem has made us waste precious company time on tracking down an issue that is in the program, and it does not help us at all except that we want DW to work really well so we can rapidly design/dev websites without crashing and tracking problems!

Here is scenario. It is easier to explain in person or on video but this is pretty close to how you can make it crash...

DW does not like something about Media Query code in CSS (even in a simple web page that was create directly from DW)

First...  create a simple test responsive page, File New, use a responsive html page from the DW dialog box, DW builds the assets folder, and it includes the proper CSS files. We make NO changes or updates on the test page, simply let DW create it for you. Follow steps below and you can make it crash... so it is not a specific website we have built, you can make this crash even with a simple, clean test page built by DW.  We have tracked it down to It is due to the media query inside CSS. If your remove all the media query code, it does not crash anymore.

1. Open your TEST web page and put it into design view
  2. Make sure your CSS Designer panel open
  3. Open the CODE view at the same time either by menu choice or press F10
  4. So now CSS Designer panel is open, Design view is open, and CODE view is open...
  5. Close the HTML test page
  6. CRASH!!!
  7. If you want to see it not crash, take out all the media query code, then repeat steps 2-5, it no longer crashes when you close the final HTML page.

Important note: If you have multiple pages open, it does not crash closing one of those pages, it has to be the final page. So close the others, nothing happens, but when you close the last page open, CRASH...

So I think since this is such a specific sequence of events, many people do not hit it this exact way often and they do not see the problem. But if you do these specific items and are using media query / responsive website code, you can re-create it every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following everything you've written, I can not get mine to crash on closing the file.

CC 2015.2 build 7884 on Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you saving the files (local disk, network drive, cloud, etc)?

I also cannot get the results you describe under Windows 8.1, same DW build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 all machines.  Adobe apps all updated. CC updated. etc. This has been an issue for some time. We just finally were able to narrow it down to the cause and sequence.

So with designer panel open, this one responsive web page open (that has CSS calling media query), and then press f10 to see code view. Then close the web page (CRTL-W).

When your web page is (the only page) open, make sure it is in DESIGN VIEW (not live or code), make sure CSS Designer panel is fully open not just bump out, and then open CODE view (separate window), then CLOSE the web page.

This is all local machines. No network drives. No cloud.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Something we just found out and tested on multiple machines. It DOES NOT crash if the Global (which is showing the @media Global) is not open. For example, you can have CSS Designer panel open and yet the Global sub panel is not open. If you open that, then do the scenario above, it will crash.

So this could even further make it harder to track and also many users may not see it right away. Because that panel is not always open. We happen to have all those CSS designer panels open, so it crashed every time. But now we see, if we open any of those panels, Source, Selectors, etc. it is fine. As long as the Global panel is NOT open. Once you open that panel (you see the media query), then you can make it crash with the steps above in my first note.

So maybe Jon you can please try and make sure your Global panel is open and in view. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for clarity, F10 opens the Code Inspector Window, not Code View, which is a Document Toolbar option that affects the Document Window.

1. I have both the CSS Designer and the F10 Code Inspector open as floating windows (not locked to the app frame)

2. Created a new responsive page using the New > Starter Template > Responsive Starters > About

3. Saved the page to my Defined Site

4. With only Design View open (not split view) close the page

No crashes on either machine.

I tried again with different combinations of windows locked to the app frame (but not as pop-outs) and design vs design/code split view, I also alternated between Ctrl + W and clicking the X in the Document Window to close it, still no crashes.

Then I dragged the CSS Designer to fill more of my screen, until it turned into that obnoxious, totally unusable 2 column monitor filling horror. It didn't crash on close, but exploded when I tried to reopen the file. I restarted the program and it crashed on closing the file 2 out of 3 times.

Narrowed the CSS Designer back down to a normal 1 column window, no crashes.

Looks like a bug to me: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, sorry good point. Wrong verbiage! YES! CODE inspector. Not Code view.

It is close to the scenario but not exact. I can make this happen every time, on all machines. So without us being in same room and seeing the the monitors, it is quite difficult to explain in text...

The CSS Designer panel does not need to be huge or taking up the screen. Just opened, not collapsed. Also the Global portion of this panel needs to be in view. Then try... open the web page, open code inspector, close web page, Crash!

Note: I do not have the panels floating, the CSS Designer panel and others are on right side docked. I do not open them huge. I simply have it open and expanded, not collapsed. If the CSS designer panel is collapsed and only like icons over there, of course it does not crash because you are not viewing and seeing the Global panel in real time etc. Real time is very cool and good to see all what is being click on in the design view as you work. So the CSS Designer panel needs to be in view so you see it changing dynamically.

Note 2: Also, if you close the page and it does not crash right away. Then re-open it, same scenario, then close again, it will crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only time it bombs for me is if the CC Designer is open to two its column version, otherwise it's completely stable, not even the blue loading circle appears.

You can post screen captures here showing exactly how you have your program set up. From the forum interface in a browser, click the Insert Image button and drop your screen capture showing how it's set. Maybe by duplicating everything the way you have it, Adobe tech support can get theirs to bomb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the program is stable and we have used all versions of DW since the early Macromedia days... . this is just a straight out crash... no blue circles... no no responses, etc. It just crashes, and I have to click CLOSE. I have not had any other issues. I think unfortunately they and many others do not know about it yet in full swing because not everyone using DW is doing responsive website where the Global panel is open with Media query code in it. It has to be this exact scenario or otherwise it works fine...

yes, I can try to get some screen shots. Though I think they can re-create it by just reading and follow the steps.

If you put your DW for example in DEFAULT work space. Make sure your right side panels are expanded and not collapsed. Make sure GLOBAL is not collapsed. Then open your web page, then open Code inspector, the you can close the web page and crash...

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a corruption/bug in the Default workspace itself.

Mine won't crash with my normal custom workspace until I expand the CSS Designer to two columns (and then I get maybe 1 of 3 attempts to crash).

I changed my workspace to Default, and blammo, it crashes just as explained each time.

I switched back to my custom workspace and it stops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This had a few extra steps, and it ALMOST worked. This time I could actually see code in my Code View. BUT, when I click the X to close the file I am in: CRASHORAMA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Icg_2012,

People facing similar issue, posted following resolution in another thread recently.

Please give it a try and confirm if they work for you. (Third point looks most promising)

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

20 Jun, 2013 8:24 AM in reply to pcepp  

I found a solution that worked for me.

I removed all the fonts that Adobe CC installed out of my Library:Fonts folder and just left in the Apple Basic fonts like Arial, Courier etc... Launched Dreamweaver CC and the CSS designer panel works. I have no idea exactly which font it is, or creating the conflict. All I know is that it works great now.

|

20 Jun, 2013 10:11 AM in reply to dogdog63

very strange - I installed Illustrator CC and then I had no more problems with Dreamweaver! No more crashes when close or create files and no more problems with the CSS designer. Error messages during create fluid grid layouts are also gone ...

• Michel:

I think I figured it out on the Mac. Be sure that Verdana is activated in Font Book. What tipped me off to this was a warning I was receiving when trying to open After Effects. It was saying that the program needed Verdana for the user interface to work. I thought that maybe Dreamweaver needed Verdana too. Sure enough! Hope this helps you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to wait till Adobe does their next release and stick with CS6 for now. I don't have time to fiddle with fonts or other solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reach, 

Instead of posting other member's work-arounds and hacks to get your program working, don't you have enough info to pass on to your engineers.  I see there's already a new patch for Photoshop, so stop jerking us around.  If it's a font issue, get someone to push out an update with the correct fonts.  I can't speak for everyone here, but we're working professionals that just need our programs to work correctly.  Even if this gets us up-and-running, what happens if a new set of problems occur.  I have really lost faith in Adobe right now, and especially their customer service.

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Trust me, Team is already working on resolving this issue, and these inputs are being passed on them in real time.

I totally understand your concern.

This is just an attempt to share a temp workaround to unblock our valued users for time being.

Apologies if you felt otherwise.

Thanks,

Puneet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verified Fix :

For all the Dreamweaver crashes on opening Fluid Grid pages , Closing Documents or opening files

Please make sure the default system fonts are all enabled - especially Verdana

On MAC -

Open Font BOOK from Applications

Activate VERDANA FAmily of Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and deleted all my preferences and related files. Verdana was already open. Reinstalled and still have constant crashes. Obviously Dreamweaver CC wasn't ready for prime time. Too bad the release had to be pushed to meet the Adobe upgrade schedule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a lot of Advice for Mac Users, but the problem is not limited to Macs.  I have windows 7 and the same problem is there to, and the "fixes" will not work on Windows - no Library folder in C/Users/MyName/ on a windows computer.  Activating Fonts in Windows??? again is not a valid fix...

I do suggest YOU people FIX the problems yourself and issue a patch or update on ALL of the software that is buggy instead of offering bad advice!  This should have been called a Beta version!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

Can you try out the solutions in this doc, and let us know if you still have problems?

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-crash-dreamweaver-cc.html

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which versions of Tahoma should be enabled? I see Regular, Normal, Bold and Negreta. With all enabled, Regular and Normal conflict and Bold and Negreta conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not fix the problem!

I can create a new FGL and the program continues to work, however, once I start editing changing styles in the css that’s when it crashes.

If I open the file I previously created in FGL it crashes straight away, however, if I open a standard HTML file WITHOUT FGL it works fine, no crashing.

It seems apparent that it is in the FGL in CC where the problem exists.

Regards,

Keith

M: 0408 741 287 | E: <mailto:kau42686@bigpond.net.au> kau42686@bigpond.net.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further, the files I created in CC will open ok in CS6 and CS6 doesn’t crash, so there is a problem in CC itself in FGL I do suggest you look closely at CC FGL.

I also have a query about file locations.

When you create a new FGL some of the css/js files are in the C:/Program Files/Adobe/*** folder and the code in the HTML points to that folder. This creates a problem when you need to upload your site to an online server, I think this “defaulting” of the source files needs to be looked at. We shouldn’t have to ‘copy and relocate’ these files for the system to work.

Regards,

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Posting a solution I found in another thread,

For the Fluid Grid page(s) you are working on, does the related .css file(s) contain any “Media Queries”? If so, please open the .css file in Dreamweaver CC as a separate file and ensure that the curly braces ‘{‘ for the Media Queries are properly paired (opened and closed) and save the .css file. Then try to open the Fluid Grid page in Dreamweaver CC.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thanks,

Harish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All code is correct, this would not cause Dreamweaver to shut down with an error it would only cause the web page(s) to not display or display correctly.

Please do not came up with LAME fixes. The fault is within the program!!!

Regards,

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

We sincere apologize for the inconvenience caused by the crashes

Can you please send over the FG files to vharis_@_Adobe_._com(please ignore the underscores) , so that we could try and repro the problems at our end ??

..Harish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could send them to you, but, one would think that IF my files were at fault, that CS6 would crash as well. IF my files were at fault.

But CS6 does not crash, so it is reasonable to believe that the problem is within CC

Also, I proof read ALL of my files to avoid errors, or sites not working. I cannot see how a missing curly brace in css code could cause Dreamweaver to crash. If the program is that sensitive that it is going to crash it needs to be looked at and fixed. However, in this case, there is no missing Curly brace

Like I said, the problem is in CC not in CS6. So, whatever changes you made between the 2 versions of the program needs to be looked at.

It is easy for a large company like Adobe, or Microsoft to lay blame on the user, however, when the user is not at fault, the blame must be accepted by the large companies.

Your product should have been tested a lot more before going live with it, the same as a good web developer tests their sites before going live.

If anything, as a suggestion, you may want to look at highlighting any errors like missing curly braces, to assist the less experienced user.

Regards,

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines