• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CS5 will not open

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded Adobe CS5 Design Premium and installed. Every application opens without problem except Dreamweaver which will not open at all. I tried installing again and that didn't work. I even tried removing all of my preference files, old Application Support files and even Library Application Support files. Uninstalled CS4 and CS5 and installed a fresh copy of CS5.

Dreamweaver CS5 will not open. It gets to just before the splash screen and stops. It's not hanging either, I can click the dock and quit the app without a force quit. It appears that the open sequence is missing something.

Mac OS X 10.6.3

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Everyone is saying the update works but you never know, some may have problems finding it. I had this problem until minutes ago until I too did the update for CS5, go here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dwcs51104

If you are on Lion and are using CS5 (not 5.5) don't waste your time with permissions and preferences, this does it!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 251 Replies 251
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you are on a Mac, installing the latest update for Dreamweaver CS5 should resolve this issue.

More details, including a link to download the update, are in this document:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/844/cpsid_84413.html

I saw what looked like a few Windows users on this thread as well. I would still recommend installing the update, but it may not resolve the issue by itself.

If you are on Windows with an Acer computer, then the patch provided here should help:

http://www.egistec.com/oem-acer001/program-update.aspx

Startup problems like this can have other causes as well, for both Mac and Windows users. For example, the "configuration" folder may contain corrupted files or could have permissions problems (both of these are mentioned in this thread). This document contains details for resetting the configuration:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83912.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks guys,

I went to System Preferences - searched for "File Vault" disabled it and it took 5 minutes to close down and then Dreamweaver opened up!

So I didn't even need to set up another user account..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa Spire SEO. Welcome to the Adobe user-to-user forums.

If you install the latest update for Dreamweaver, you could re-enable FileVault:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/844/cpsid_84413.html

Even if you do not mind having FileVault disabled, installing the update is recommended if for nothing else than the HTML5 Pack.

Be sure to reboot the computer after installing the update.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2011 Apr 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is your fix all, worked for me!

http://www.dlocc.com/articles/nothing-happens-when-launching-dreamweaver-cs5-on-mac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem and found a solution.

You just have to install the update, if there is one.

The only option when I started Dreamweaver was: Dreamweaver, no other options.

I installed the updates, restarted my Mac, and now it's working again.

Maybe it help for one of you.

Just give it a try.

Succes.

Elsemieke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed InDesign CS5 for Mac two days ago and then Dreamweaver wouldn't work. I tried all of the suggestions in this thread and the only one that worked was when I created a new user account. I did NOT have FV on.

Knowing that my permissions were messed-up, I installed the DW update from http://download.macromedia.com/pub/dreamweaver/updates/cs5/11_0_3/mac/AdobeDreamweaver-11.0-All-Update.dmg

Everything is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, all it took was an update!! PHEW!!

Thank you knowledgable folk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2011 May 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked on my system:

I located and threw out a particular Configuration folder.

It's the one at User Name/ Library/ Application Support/ Adobe/ Dreamweaver/ Configuration

Please note that I do not use File Vault.

Logging in as a different user also worked, but isn't ideal.

Repairing permissions did not work for me.

Throwing out the cache did not work for me.

I got this information from the following: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/417116, which is for CS4, but it worked for CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I just had this issue started last week,

I tried everything on this discussion, nothing did it, almost re-installed.

Then I realized that I was playing with some new fonts last week, and some seemed to be corrupt.

Some programs wouldn't start as well.

Figured it was the fonts at it again, so...

I added a new folder, Username/Library/FontsBK,

Moved all the running fonts from this folder, Username/Library/Fonts.

Dreamweaver CS5 started like a charm.

I'll need to add the fonts back as needed.

Hope this helps,

I had an issue with google maps, street view wouldn't load on my system,

everyone else's system(browser) worked, found a post about corrupt "Arial" font, on my system.

I had no idea fonts can cripple a system this way.

iMac 27

3.06 Ghz

4 GB

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just delete the "Dreamweaver CS5" folder in the follow location:

"<your_user_acct>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS5"

Restarting Dreamweaver will work; the folder will be re-created; permission reset.

Loki vanquished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, OSX SnowLeopard. All other apps in the CS5 Creative Suite Premium work fine, but DW won't show the splash screen. Tried playing with read/write permissions like described elsewhere. Not running File Vault.Tried reinstalling just DW, no luck. Tried reinstalling the whole suite, no luck. Tried running from a new account, no problem, but that doesn't help...

Solution: I used the uninstall applet and selected the remove preferences option at the bottom of the pick list (when choosing which apps to uninstall from CS 5). Uninstalled, reinstalled.

DW now works like the others...for now. (until the next Mac update causes havoc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2011 Aug 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'll be out of e-mail and cell range until the 23rd. There's a sight chance I'll get the occasional signal, but I probably won't receive messages until I return.

Thanks.

Garry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2011 Sep 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. I had upgraded to a new machine with Lion pre-installed. I installed my CS5 applications and everything worked except for Dreamweaver. I read over all of the posts and a lot of the posts had said it was a permission problem. I repaired my premissions and downloaded the lastest update for Dreamweaver CS5. I restarted my machine and now Dreamweaver starts perfectly. Adobe really has to fix things like this.

Vince Mendella, CGD

graymatter studios

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2011 Sep 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this on for size it worked like a charm for me.

Here’s how I fixed the problem:

1. First quit Dreamweaver CS5 if you have in launched (or kinda launched)
  2. Open Finder and navigation to: Macintosh hd/users//library/application support/adobe/dreamweaver cs5/en-US/
  3. Here you will find the folder “configuration” … Rename this folder to ‘configurationOld’ and restart Dreamweaver

What this will do is force Dreamweaver to create that configuration folder again. Please note: this may not fix it for you and this solution has not even been mentioned by Adobe. Hope this helps you out!

http://www.dlocc.com/articles/nothing-happens-when-launching-dreamweaver-cs5-on-mac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with FileVault enabled. Design Premium CS 5.5 was installed and Photoshop and Flash worked fine on a standard account. Dreamweaver didn't however. I followed this forums suggestions to find the config files and none were there. In the end I didn't want to wait around so I just set my standard account to be able to admin the system (System Preferences) and now DW works.

Not ideal solution, of course, since it makes sense to have the standard account for work related stuff unconnected to an admin account; but until this gets resolved this overly obvious solution may help you get web designing again quickly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2011 Nov 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never write on these forums but I struggled with this issue for ages, and spent alot of time trying everything on here. I have found the answer and wanted to share with anyone else still dealing with this issue.

You need an extension/update for dreamweaver that can be found here:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/844/cpsid_84413.html

Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Frankie.

The config/preferences solution worked for me long ago, but you helped me with something else.

I had no idea that my CS5 was neither auto-updating nor even prompting me. Every Adobe app on my system needed updating. There's a preference inside the Adobe Applications app that's set to prompt "in the menu bar" but I've never noticed it.

One of the drawbacks to Adobe being a monopoly is that they probably don't care that updating isn't working in any practical sense. Ah, Steve Jobs, I miss you already.

But thank you. I'm up to date now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this has worked for me.

1. The Configuration folder trick has been listed several times - does not work for me.
  2. Tried 'create new Admin account' trick - waste of time.
  3. Repair Permissions etc etc etc
  4. Patch is 'not applicable' - running latest DW version.

Wasted hours - days maybe. It used to work. Doesn't any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TommyTwoBrains wrote:

None of this has worked for me.

1. The Configuration folder trick has been listed several times - does not work for me.
  2. Tried 'create new Admin account' trick - waste of time.
  3. Repair Permissions etc etc etc
  4. Patch is 'not applicable' - running latest DW version.

Wasted hours - days maybe. It used to work. Doesn't any more.

I haven't read the entire thread but having read yours, the best solution for you is to reformat the HD and start everything all over again.  I accept this may not be possible for you because you may not have suitable backup options and media disks for your other applications including relevant serial numbers.  However, You have wasted several days and still not getting anywhere so your system has clearly become very unstable, possibly infested with viruses and malwares.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...wasted days in total - over years of using Dreamweaver.

...wasted hours on this particular version and problem.

...regarding the health of my Mac - it's fine!

The best solution is to use different software. If this latest re-install does not work, that is what I will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best solution is to use different software. If this latest re-install does not work, that is what I will do.

Bye bye.  Please don't waste your time re-installing on the same machine.  Nothing has changed and nothing will change unless you re-format your HD. 

Good bye and good luck with your search for a different software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange and aggressive.

I am not the only one having problems with Dreamweaver.

Search over : Textmate with Firebug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It now works.

The latest update (which seemed unconnected to the issue) and/or de-activating ALL fonts: seemed to do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are an awful lot of replies on this post, so if I'm repeating someone else's, please forgive me.

I noticed every three or four responses mentioned something about a permissions issue, so I took the easiest route I could think of, in two steps:

1. Delete everything labeled Dreamweaver in Application Support and Caches (both found in %usr-root%/Library)
  2. Run the following for easy (and quick) permissions repair:
    sudo chmod -R 0755 /Applications/Adobe\ Dreamweaver\ CS5

(If your installation is in a different directory, just substitute as necessary, but note the backslashes preceding spaces—don't forget those.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made it a habit not to update my system software or other updates - ever - as it constantly creates problems. However, today I had to update my iTunes to accomodate my new iPhone - and that is the only new software I installed. Dreamweaver stopped working after that.

And yes, Time Machine didn't work

Reinstalling didn't work

Copying my old CS4 folder didn't work

Only the DW CS5 update worked. Now I'm good to go. Just wanted to FYI this post by adding a little bit on the updating of iTunes goofed me all up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines