• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver endless bugs

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Adobe Dreamweaver for like 7 years and every year it gets some automatic updates that keep ruin it more and more. 

Periodical crashes, black&white interface that is non-customizable, again periodical and let's not forget about the periodical crashes. I installed Windows 11 2 weeks ago and DW simply gets stuck or crashes every 2-3 hours on a highend PC. I am sure it's not a problem from Windows,

Since 1h, I cannot open DW without crashing it. I open it, some windows are missing, I reinstall, then it works, now this happens again and again.

I feel this program is being overwhelmed with useless features that simply cannot be turned off, so I want to look for an alternative.

My requirements are simple. I am looking for a:
-code editor for PHP/CSS/HTML with code hinting
-must have built in site manager and FTP client for quick upload to server;
-must have a mass search/replace feature

Does anybody have any idea what program would be a good replacement for DW to satisfy these simple needs of mine?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anybody have any idea what program would be a good replacement for DW to satisfy these simple needs of mine?

Php Storm by Jetbrains is probably the best php/html/css editor currently  available. It's a paid for IDE but each year for 3 years, the subscription is reduced to reward loyalty. It's a big IDE with lots packed into it so it might feel a little overwhelming, there's a free trial version.

VS Code is a free editor and has lots of plugins for php, regarded as the best free editor currently available by many developers.

Codelobster is another php specific editor. There is a free trial and a free version but you would need the paid for version to take advantage of the better options.

Personally l don't think anything can get close to php storm but as l say its a heavyweight IDE as opposed to a lightweight editor which might be preferred. l use a mix of editors depending on what the project requires.

Pinegrow is another editor worth investigating but l can't remember if it has any php support or not, there is a free trial.

Whatever your eventual choice it has to be better than DW. It's not officially dead yet buts it's as good as. It's now only minimally maintained so there will be no more future updates which involve any new features, it will only be randomly updated with small fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply and the advice. Do you know if any of these have a Site Manager (to organise the projects based on different folder paths and settings separately and to set FTP login details for each site)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Php Storm has inbuilt ftp options and site management facilities similar to Dreamweaver. Infact its the only other editor l have come across where you can drag files to other folders within the file/folder tree and all the links are automatically updated.

Codelobster has inbuilt ftp options and project options.

I don't know too much about VS Code as l don't tend to use that much myself but l would be surprised if it did not have a plugin for ftp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rapid PHP has a project manager, VS Code does it in a simple way with an extension

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you throw baby out with the bathwater, try restoring preferences.  The Preferences file can become corrupted with long term use & migrations to newer versions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/restore-preferences-dreamweaver.html

Bugs can be repeated and verified by other users.  Unusual behaviors are system specific. 

With respect to replacing  DW, no single tool can do everything on your wish list.  Sorry.  You'll need at least 2 and possibly 4 tools.  Some free, some paid.  None of the tools I use alongside DW have the site asset management features that DW has. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fresh install of Win 11 OS, with fresh DW and the errors are still here.
So longterm use & migrations are probably not the reason.

After all the problems that I got recently, I ended up installing the DW 2020 version and I tried reducing the number of active Windows in my DW Workspace and it seems to be more stable now. Hopefully it stays like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used DW on Win11 so I can't speak to how it performs.  DW's system requirements don't mention Win11.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/dreamweaver/system-requirements.html

Adobe says that all 2022 Creative Cloud apps are supported except Aero (Beta), Animate, Dimension, and Dreamweaver.  

I'm guessing it will work for the most part but you may encounter some known issues:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/windows-11.html#known-issues

Meanwhile, I hope your current version remains stable on your device.  Best of luck!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't sound like a hugely positive outcome to me, working with a version of an editor 2 years out of date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 11 - no such problems with the latest Dreamweaver version so far for me.... What version of Dreamweaver are running?

For alternatives:

If you're coding try VSCode, I believe there is a FTP/SFTP extension  for it, although I've never tried it myself. I do like the GIT integration in VSCode and few of the third party extensions. Would take a while to get up to speed learning VSCode, coming from an environment like Dreamweaver

Rarely gets a mention, Rapid PHP isn't a bad option and would be easier to get up to speed with IMO,  it has integrated FTP/SFTP, has code hinting, GIT integration is a bit clumsy with the use of TortoiseGIT but it does the job.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there is a FTP/SFTP extension  for it, although I've never tried it myself.

By @Paul-M

SFTP by Liximomo is very nice

https://github.com/liximomo/vscode-sftp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rapid php rarely gets a mention because its Windows only l guess. I would have tried it myself by now but lm on a Mac and don't do the virtual box, wine or parellels thing.

But it's certainly worth a look for the OP since they are on Windows. It's still  being actively developed and the screen shots look kind on nice to me at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My requirements are simple. I am looking for a:
-code editor for PHP/CSS/HTML with code hinting
-must have built in site manager and FTP client for quick upload to server;
-must have a mass search/replace feature

By @NVGLeo

How about adding a database manager to the list

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this does look very interesting. Have you been using it for long time? Does it crash or freeze every now and then? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since its inception about 4 years ago. Very stable, you'll love it.

Have a look at this playlist that I am in the process of creating:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUjqTJN3byC9fUoXFnoNGlYBCBZOJUPca

Although this is based on NodeJS, PHP is just as simple. I have gone NodeJS because it contains features that PHP does not possess, such as the ability to create a real time chat app.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines