• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver template Jumps

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mt template in Dreamweaver works fine. It has six or seven categories of topic linked to it. They all work fine except for one linked page which 'jumps' up the screen a little. All the other links are rock steady if you click from one to another. I have remade the template, remade the page that jumps. All good except his one page which continues to jumps up the screen a good few pixels. Am stumped. 

Comments appreciated. I am not a coder, I work in Design mode. Thank you 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the template jumping within DW or on the web? What version/OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.The site isn't uploaded yet so it's on my screen. 

It's fine in the template itself and most of the pages that link are fine too it's just some of them make the template jump up or down . I guess its in those pages. I get asked when I apply the template where do I want the head to go and I say 'head'. Could this be the problem?

I am fixing it temporarily because I am pushed for time by removing the template from some pages and using 'back t o' link for the navigation. 

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's only happening locally in DW, I wouldn't worry too much until you can get it to a testing server. If you are able to host it temporarily to test, that would be better for us to help look at the page for you and see what may be going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers to layout questions are contained in your CODE.

What's the URL to your online site so we can see what's occurring?

ONE GUESS:  The 'page shift' could be caused by the appearance of browser scroll bars on some, but not all, pages.

For better answers, we need to see the working site.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. 

I can't show you the online code because that is my old site and I am renewing it and its not ready to upload.
I know about the scroll bar issues and this is a vertical movement whereas I think scroll bar issues are horizontal .... but maybe not ?

I think it may have to do with the code in the pages I am linking the template to,  and not the template itself.

It's such a pain as I have a site with many levels and all using the template for nav.

For speed (LOL) I am removing templates where not strrictly necessary and using a 'back to' link.

But I thank you for your time in writing to me and offering to look at the pages. When I load this site up I will see if anyone can help then. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know about the scroll bar issues and this is a vertical movement whereas I think scroll bar issues are horizontal .... but maybe not ?

By @emma clarke 1

Maybe not..........if you have a combination of long and short page content  then you will get a jumpy experience when the vertical scroll bar is activated in instances where pages have a lot of content and the vertical scrollbar will not be activated in instances where pages do not have enough content to activate a vertical scroll bar......hence a jumpy movement will happen when you click from a long content page to a short content page.

This might not be your issue of course but it's one which frequently happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no horizontal scroll bars if your site is built with a responsive layout.

However, on long pages you should definitely see a vertical scroll bar. That's normal & expected behavior. 

Below are screenshots of Bootstrap's responsive layout.

Mobile:

image.png

Desktop:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Code errors can cause unexpected behavior in browsers.

Use the validation tool in Dreamweaver and fix reported errors in child pages as well as Templates (.dwt).

Window > Results > Validation.  Click the white triangle to check current document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines