• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[DW 19 on macOS] How to hide "hidden files and folders" in the DW file manager?

Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the filemanager "finder" on macOS (I use the latest version) you can hide files/folders in two ways:

a leading dot in the name or the terminal command "chflags hidden".

Dreamweaver shows those files/folders.

Please how can I achieve, that DW hides those files/folders in it's own file manager?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

(Reposted from previous thread)

If it isn't intended to be managed or transferred by Dreamweaver, it really shouldn't be in the site folder. Dreamweaver shouldn't be expected to execute OS-level management, and that would be potentially problematic were it introduced into features. I could only imagine how many countless unintended document "hidings" would cause unending file and GIT/repository errors, not to mention misleading team devs. You would be safer setting expectations and standards/conv

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have seen is

Since the release of macOS Sierra, when in Finder, it is now possible to use the shortcut:

CMD + SHIFT + .

I do not use a Mac, so I cannot verify.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben.

You missunderstood me.

I know how to hide files/folders in the finder.

I like to know how to hide them in the file manager of DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot hide files from DW's Files Panel but you can CLOAK them.  Cloaking prevents files from being uploaded. 

Cloak files and folders in your Dreamweaver site

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy

My question is, why DW does not hide those files, which the file manager of the OS (mac OS Finder) is hiding by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't make the software.  In all the years I've used DW, I've never needed to hide files. If the file causes problems locally, I delete it from my local site folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I miss fair and critical voices in this forum.

Almost everyone here seems to justify any behaviour of DW.

For me it very clearly a deficiency, when a file manager of an app does not overtake the behaviour of the standard file manager of the OS. Here we talk about hidden files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

My preference is to always show hidden files & folders on my OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Nancy

Of course I do not criticize your preference.

I criticize, that users who have the same preference as they get in their file manager of the os, are standing in the rain with the file manager of DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Reposted from previous thread)

If it isn't intended to be managed or transferred by Dreamweaver, it really shouldn't be in the site folder. Dreamweaver shouldn't be expected to execute OS-level management, and that would be potentially problematic were it introduced into features. I could only imagine how many countless unintended document "hidings" would cause unending file and GIT/repository errors, not to mention misleading team devs. You would be safer setting expectations and standards/convention at your team level to get your file managers to safely move the files out of the site as part of their process.

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines