Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enable code coloring in Dreamweaver CC 2017

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

See Learn how you can customize the colors of your code elements in Dreamweaver. to enable code coloring in Dreamweaver CC 2017

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree!

When working in code view and I select something, it highlights the entire line (or entire code between tags) in a light green and turns the text white. White text on light green, really? Very hard to read. I am suffering from eye strain working in code view and cannot figure out how to change this. So, instead of coding and making money, I am scouring the forums looking for a solution. Not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the fix for the terrible tag selection light green background color...

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Interface
2. Click Light
3. Hit the + button under the Theme box
4. Give your modified theme a name
5. Click Create
6. Make sure your new theme is highlighted
7. Hit Apply
8. Now with the new one highlighted, hit the Edit button (pencil icon)
9. Add the following to the end of the file...

.CodeMirror-matchingbracket, .CodeMirror-matchingtag {

background-color:#000000;

color:#ffffff !important;

}

10. Change the colors to settings you like (black with white text isn't likely the best choice either)
11. Save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon! That worked perfectly. In case anyone wants to use my color scheme, I used black type on a very light blue background. Old print designers know that reverse type on dark background is hard to read, and white on a light background is much worse. It is hard to fathom how an Adobe designer could have made such a terrible design choice.

.CodeMirror-matchingbracket, .CodeMirror-matchingtag {

background-color:#DAFAF7;

color:#000000 !important;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to fathom how an Adobe designer could have made such a terrible design choice.

Most likely not a design decision. More like a holdover from a dark Brackets theme that nobody checked on the light theme .

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

It is hard to fathom how an Adobe designer could have made such a terrible design choice.

Most likely not a design decision. More like a holdover from a dark Brackets theme that nobody checked on the light theme .

Nancy

Believe me I did complain about the light themes, I even said it was rubbish and unusable, but one against most

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole update DW 2017 update  is a rushed/mess.  Mostly time wasted trying to integrate a half-baked version of Brackets that doesn't really bring that much. I'm quite happy with decent code hints and emmet in a code editor

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon. I was able to figure it out and much happier now. The below is what I used for the light theme, which is very unobtrusive in my opinion. Just a subtle highlight and the text doesn't really change color that much. It works well for me and I am off and running again!

/* Custom code colors or overrides should start after this line */

.CodeMirror-matchingtag {

color: #0B19B8 !important;

background-color: #F3EFEF !important;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ya, it is killing my eyes, that is why I am here on the forum.

Looking for ways to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran,

"At the risk of sounding like a marketing pitch, Creative Cloud allows us the flexibility to keep working on a version that best suits our workflows until there is one that we want to upgrade to. My initial forum post about best practices before upgrading covered it all, and as an author, I do wish people read it. At the same time, I understand the urgency to upgrade to a new version without reading the implications. I have been on that road myself several times."

Dude - as you well know, DrwamWeaver fell completely apart on the Mac with the resent OS update - some of us did not have a choice but to upgrade in order to continue to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree. I will share you sentiment with the product team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it does not work for me or the devs I know. We are not going to edit a less file just because the development team had a bad idea. Also the Find and Replace is the worst thing ever ! Reverting to 2015 until Adobe decides that upgrading a software does not mean changing every thing to justify the time and the money. I am very dissapointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried to use the "Solarized Theme" from Brackets Themes  and nothing changed when I restarted DW.

I mad a backup copy of the original files in the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017\www\extensions\default\DarkTheme" folder  and unziped the ZIP to that folder. and Started DW and went to "Edit->Preferences~Interface" and changed the 'Code Theme' to Dark theme and closed the dialog box and restarted DW and got the original DARK theme.

What did i do wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really using a DarkTheme?

Solarize is a light code color scheme.  So you need to work with the LightTheme folder.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that and I still see the original light theme with that yellowish tinted background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which color & code themes are you using?

Did you move Solarized.less to the appropriate LightTheme or DarkTheme folder?

Did you rename main.less to main_old.less?

Did you rename Solarized.less to main.less?

Did you restart DW CC 2017?

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the 3rd from the left color theme

Using the "Light color" code theme

made backup copies of the LightTheme folder and replaced the original files with the ones from the ZIP I downloaded.

and did restart DW CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soloarized is light.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Brackets-Themes/Solarized/master/screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of themes the code colouring is limited anyway. Please post a vote here so we can hopefully get full flexibility back for code colouring:

Restore Full Code Colouring Flexibility – Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

The code colouring apart from being removed from the options because it's a half finished Brackets integration lacks serious flexibility, no language specific option even if you are prepared to edit the LESS theme file directly has been included.

I had an official response from Adobe that language-specific code colouring which is a feature in Brackets, is NOT included in the brackets integration with Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Themes are OK but the code colouring flexibility is still limited, for PHP and JS developers for example there's no language specific code colouring, a feature that is available in Brackets but NOT in the Dreamweaver integrated Brackets.

Please post a vote here so we can hopefully get full flexibility back for code colouring:

Restore Full Code Colouring Flexibility – Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas

The code colouring apart from being removed from the options because it's a half finished Brackets integration lacks serious flexibility, no language specific option even if you are prepared to edit the LESS theme file directly has been included.

I had an official response from Adobe that language-specific code colouring which is a feature in Brackets, is NOT included in the brackets integration with Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmm ... well, maybe in the next BIG UPGRADE of DW CC 2018, they (Adobe) can make it easier like in Brackets ...

or just make Brackets the Code Editor of DW ...

By the way, I haven't use DW in a long time, I guess I will keep using Brackets ... and if only Brackets had the FTP that DW has

then I probably never use DW at all ...

Saludos 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok guys, I've found how you can use whatever theme you want, from the Brackets themes, located here:

http://brackets-themes.github.io/

Easiest way is to install Brackets, and download the themes from the Extension Manager. That way it's sure the theme is downloaded and installed properly.

After that, assuming you've got DW CC 2017 already installed, make sure it's closed and do this:

1. Go to C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Brackets\extensions\user

2. Copy the folder of the theme you want, NOT THE FILES INSIDE !

3. Go to C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\Brackets\extensions\user

4. Paste the folder

5. Go to C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Dreamweaver CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\Brackets

6. Open the brackets.json file.

7. In the second line ("themes.theme": "dreamweaver-light",) modify the name that is bolded. You will have dark-theme by default. Write the name of the folder you've downloaded, exactly.

8. Save the file.

9. Open DW CC 2017.

Enjoy !

P.S.

You won't see the theme in the Interface window, in Settings, but it will work, I'm using it this way !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have started working on “Code Coloring Customization” improvements by adding support for customization of generic and language specific colors and the changes are available in our latest Prerelease drop.

With this improvement you will be able to customize Code Colors in Dreamweaver Preferences --> Interface window.

Please join the Dreamweaver beta program from below link and try out the feature.
Please note, that the functionality is in the initial stages of implementation, we expect the build to have some stability issues.
However we are eager to hear from your early feedback.

Prerelease Invite link: https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/9EB451B5-D2E8-46E5-AFA2-78C85442FFA2/participate/CD0C95AA-6274-...

Thanks
Dreamweaver Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

And what about code coloring for html, javascript, comments or other codes in Twig files?
dreamweaver-bullshit.png

or

dreamweaver-bullshit-2.png

It seems to be random....
Learn how you can customize the colors of your code elements in Dreamweaver.

= not working.
Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Brackets cole colouring themes it's called mode-aware styling. Brackets supports it but the Brackets engine integrated in Dreamweaver does NOT unfortunately. If you file a request be sure to specify 'mode-aware' code colouring. It's a massive retrograde step in the code colouring department!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines