Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enable code coloring in Dreamweaver CC 2017

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

See Learn how you can customize the colors of your code elements in Dreamweaver. to enable code coloring in Dreamweaver CC 2017

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

could you give us a theme "ready to use" that restore the dreamweaver cc 2015 code coloring?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Code Color scheme did you use in 2015?  There were several to choose from.

If you know how to work with LESS code, you can customize the code colors manually or choose a theme from from GitHub and customize it to your liking.

I am using a GitHub theme called RubyBlue.  I copied the LESS file to my DW CC 2017/www/extensions/default/DarkTheme folder and renamed main.less to main_old.less.   I then renamed RubyBlue.less to main.less.  Restarted DW and voila, new code colors with syntax highlighting for PHP.   As this screenshot shows, it's not hard to edit the LESS color codes to suit your tastes.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Code Color scheme did you use in 2015?  There were several to choose from.

Hi Nancy, I'm using the "classic" theme.

screenshot-dw-theme-2015-classic.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used a LightTheme for quite a while so I don't remember what Classic looked like.  Have you looked at the light themes on GitHub? 

Brackets Themes

Solorized looks like a good starting point.

GitHub - Brackets-Themes/Solarized: Solarized Theme

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks Nancy!

However, I am very disappointed with Adobe's support.

Big issue with colours code and they give us as solution to go to modify an hidden file system of Dreamweaver... now I've to spend time to recreate the normal condition to work, with all the risks in putting hands in hidden files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's absolutely no risk if you keep a backup version of the main.less file by renaming it main_old.less  or something similar as a fallback.

But yeah, they could have made this a little easier for people.  I just feel some things got set aside to meet the MAX deadlines. 

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's absolutely no risk if you keep a backup version of the main.less file by renaming it main_old.less  or something similar as a fallback.

I agre with you but is very dangerous to allow even just to enter in the file system of a software for a simply edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how you feel, but the reason we were able to create the document and publish it in record time is because the product team took all observations from the forum seriously.

This is one of Dreamweaver's biggest releases, if not the biggest in a long time. There will be things to iron out, and I know that the team is eager to make sure that they are addressed on priority.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, and this could be seen as problematic, but it doesn't feel like you understand how your consumers feel at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 was offered to everyone with an Adobe ID as a public beta preview.  Did you try it?  Did you provide feedback?  'Cuz that's where the DW team learned what users want.   As you can imagine, there were many different views about which direction it should take.   Kind of like an election campaign.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 was offered to everyone with an Adobe ID as a public beta preview.  Did you try it?  Did you provide feedback?  'Cuz that's where the DW team learned what users want.   As you can imagine, there were many different views about which direction it should take.   Kind of like an election campaign.

The public beta preview are useless.

Every development team has a leader who takes the decisions for all (not with election campaigns), maybe Dreamweaver's development team not have a good leader...

The big mistake with Dreamweaver (my opinion, obviously) is that it has become in the last years a simple (and expensive) css/html editor.

Dreamweaver was born as server behaviour tools with advanced extensions to allow to develop beyond the limits/skills of the web designer.

Now it's an empty box, only DMXzone and PVII develop useful extensions but nothing that you can easily find ready to use on CMS as WordPress or marketplace ThemeForest/CodeCanyon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See, that makes more sense, and it does show that not everyone is represented in beta. One would think that with all of this discussion to the latter - there is indeed something to the complaint. We ALL have a right to complain, and after 23 years I have done VERY little. This is just one I am going to push for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People like me, monitoring the forums, have been good messengers and have shared all feedback with the team. The team is investigating to see if they can bring back this feature in a future update.

Rest assured, every observation reported here has made its way into our reports. We thank you for the feedback, and we encourage you to keep sharing your thoughts.

At the risk of sounding like a marketing pitch, Creative Cloud allows us the flexibility to keep working on a version that best suits our workflows until there is one that we want to upgrade to. My initial forum post about best practices before upgrading covered it all, and as an author, I do wish people read it. At the same time, I understand the urgency to upgrade to a new version without reading the implications. I have been on that road myself several times.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my message - the themes suck!

Not I know that's not very professional but you have to understand that WE are developers and we rely on Adobe tolls to get work done and get paid.

The new color coding is VERY difficult to work in. It's EXTREMELY hard on the eyes causing unnecessary strain and stress! I'm only able to last about an hour or so before I have to quit and do something else, whereas before I could program all day with no issues - and I have been programming for 22 years.

As ONE example...

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 7.54.24 AM.png

If I am editing a line - I can't work with it highlighted - that's the dumbest thing I have ever seen!

<cfif dateFormat(qLastLogIn.LastLogin, 'mm-dd-yyyy') is now()>data</cfif>

If the cursor is on CFIF then show me the /CFIF

But if I an in the CFIF tag editing attributes don't highlight the whole thing fricken green!

BTW: Changing the Preferences for Highlights on the Mac does NOTHING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions for turning off the mint (light green) highlighting on the line that you are editing. It's pretty clear that this "feature" wasn't tested by anyone who uses DW for long stretches. Zero color contrast between the mint and white makes it nearly impossible to see the letters.

A "what were they thinking?" feature.

Three thumbs down on the new DW 2017.

And asking your customers to beta test is not a solution. That's really what we pay you to do. Debugging your products for free isn't our job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

klubar wrote:

Any suggestions for turning off the mint (light green) highlighting on the line that you are editing.

In CC 2017.1 (the latest patch), you can create a new Theme in Preferences by pressing the plus sign. 

Re: DW2017 Token inspector not working?

To remove mint-greeen from matching tags, add the following to the bottom or your LESS file.

/* Custom code colors or overrides should start after this line */

.CodeMirror-matchingtag {

color: white;

background: green;

}

Adjust values to suit.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea wrote:

To remove mint-green from matching tags, add the following to the bottom or your LESS file.

/* Custom code colors or overrides should start after this line */

color: white;

background: green;

}

Adjust values to suit.

Nancy

For what it's worth, this does allow you to change the background color, but I'm finding that no matter what I change the "color" value to, it remains white. For anybody else dealing with this, don't pull your hair out - it's not you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I seeing a mirage?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but nothing changed on Mac/El Capitan. I added the code to the bottom of the LESS file,  but the impossible to read mint-green highlighting with white type is still there when I click on a line. I played with the values, opened and closed Dreamweaver, but the default mint green- white letters stuck. I used these values:

color: #4a4a4a;

background: #00645b;

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very bottom your custom LESS file.

* Custom code colors or overrides should start after this line */

color: #4a4a4a !important;

background-color: #00645b !important;

}

Save File.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonholcombe wrote:

color: #4a4a4a;

background: #00645b;

}

As Nancy has stated, there are two things missing from this code. namely

1. it is not background, but background-color
  2. !important needs to be included to override the previous rules.
Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice, Nancy! Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - works like a charm ( without important! 🙂 )

Axel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines