Copied

What is Dreamweaver's current status?

TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad Wappler is a  subscription model.

By @jdcallow

Is subscription based software that offensive. I can see the downside if you don't use the software that frequently but if it's something you use regularly then isn't it worth it. A flow of money to the software developer provides an incentive to keep actively improving the product. Surely the subscription cost can be offset by adding a few pounds to each clients project........... there is a downside to subscription software and that is if youre not making any money from using it..............hummm.

Of course consideration should  be given to customers in countries where salaries are not as great.......so they are not discluded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is subscription software that offensive"  is that a rather aggressive way way to interpret my comment?

I prefer to pay for upgrades as I need or want them.  The developers still get paid when the upgrade is useful or meets my needs/desires  and I can better control my work environemnt and budget. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is subscription software that offensive"  is that a rather aggressive way way to interpret my comment?

I prefer to pay for upgrades as I need or want them.  The developers still get paid when the upgrade is useful or meets my needs/desires  and I can better control my work environemnt and budget. 

By @jdcallow

Fair comment.........I just get somewhat confused when a seemingly large majority feel a few hundred a year for software which benefits them is too much.  I get it if your company is not doing too well financially or you're just a fun player...................there seems to be rather a lot of users in those categories I guess.

It probably takes two to tango, the software company needs to offer something of value for the continued subscription, ie continued development, if it doesn't then I also get it may not be a suitable option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Osgood realy,  do you live by passive aggressive comments? 
As a vender to a fortune 50 company I build web appllications; I have yearly outlays in the 1000's for SW and services; I am neither financially stressed nor am I a fun player (what ever that is).   I am someone who doesn't believe paying a subscription is a smart business expense unless I need to stay up to date with the latest version and or I have no option (adobe).    You not getting that and completely missing arguably the more important point that subscriptions can mess with your dev environment leads me to wonder if you just play as a developer on forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am neither financially stressed nor am I a fun player (what ever that is).  

By @jdcallow

Never said you was. I said I can understand not wanting to commit to a subscription based model if that was the case or if you only participated in web-development infrequently - a fun player.

I am someone who doesn't believe paying a subscription is a smart business expense unless I need to stay up to date with the latest version and or I have no option (adobe).

By @jdcallow

Well maybe its a bonus not everyone thinks alike and that some ARE willing to pay for progress and continued developement which obvioulsy costs money and benefits those that don't (you) when and if they consider jumping onboard and contributing towards that development.

You not getting that and completely missing arguably the more important point that subscriptions can mess with your dev environment leads me to wonder if you just play as a developer on forums.

By @jdcallow

I'm playing now because I've been there, seen it and done it and can afford to! Seems you're taking things way too personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This streamlined approach allows you to focus on building and designing your projects without the hassle of managing external server setups."

By @BenPleysier

It's only a one time set up to install a local server environment like mamp or xampp etc, after that you're good to go........not sure it's that streamlined.

If youre using node then it's only a couple of lines of code to spin up a local server environment.

Wappler should be included as an alternative because its an option but its a niche option as it has its own unique workflow, if you dont mind taking that route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only a one time set up to install a local server environment like mamp or xampp etc, after that you're good to go........not sure it's that streamlined.

By @osgood_

Correct, yet is not needed when using Wappler. In your eyes, this is not a feature?

It is not just that, there are many other aspects like automatic creation of a .htaccess file for routing and the creation of single page apps (SPA) the proper way where pages are pulled into the layout page. I could go on and on talking about streamlined. Just remove the blinkers and you shall see.

If youre using node then it's only a couple of lines of code to spin up a local server environment.

By @osgood_

The couple of code lines will give you a local server environment, correct. But what about a debug mode, site security, routes, cron jobs, sockets, uploads, cors, sessions, etc. What about the likes of Express and its middleware? Is this simple? when making statements, please elaborate so that everyone will know the extent of your knowledge bank.

Wappler should be included as an alternative because its an option but its a niche option as it has its own unique workflow, if you dont mind taking that route.

By @osgood_

A niche that has been lacking in all other IDE's.

There is no other IDE that can create a modest dynamically driven web site visually without ever looking at or touching the code. True, Pinegrow can do the same for just the front-end, but needs the likes of WordPress to create a dynamic site.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct, yet is not needed when using Wappler. In your eyes, this is not a feature?

It is not just that, there are many other aspects like automatic creation of a .htaccess file for routing and the creation of single page apps (SPA) the proper way where pages are pulled into the layout page. I could go on and on talking about streamlined. Just remove the blinkers and you shall see.

By @BenPleysier

As features go I would not say it was a deal breaker................like I said a server environemt is just a one time set up. Currently all-in-one packages make a local server easy to install. Sure, if you're trying to manually install php/sql (insert your choice here) etc on your machine, it could be a useful feature.

Blinkers......................right and Wappler users eyes are wide open. Far from it that is why they resort to using a solution such as Wappler. Apart from clicking and draging around most probably dont have a clue what they are doing because they live in a very 'sheltered' environment.

The couple of code lines will give you a local server environment, correct. But what about a debug mode, site security, routes, cron jobs, sockets, uploads, cors, sessions, etc. What about the likes of Express and its middleware? Is this simple? when making statements, please elaborate so that everyone will know the extent of your knowledge bank.

By @BenPleysier

It's called being professional. You should know how to bring in middleware without the aid of relying on a program. Do you actually know how to get a node website up and running without Wappler, create routes, designate a templating engine etc, etc? I guess the extent of your knowledge bank is everything Wappler, which moves in mysterious ways, so how useful is that when considering the bigger picture.

A niche that has been lacking in all other IDE's.

There is no other IDE that can create a modest dynamically driven web site visually without ever looking at or touching the code. True, Pinegrow can do the same for just the front-end, but needs the likes of WordPress to create a dynamic site.

By @BenPleysier

If it used one of the big 3 frontend js frameworks then I think your argument would hold more water. As it stands it appeals to a very niche market...........5 years on and it's still relatively unheard of in main steam web development circles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AEM is ok, but no one would use it with out  some thing like dreamweaver or Visual Studio to write the html,  JS or CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AEM has an onboard CMS. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked on AEM for 5 years across multiple upgrades for a fotune 50 company and its CMS in noway aliviated the need for a proper editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fear we're discussing apples and oranges here. 

I didn't mean to imply that AEM developers are alleviated or even liberated from working with code.  Developers  use their coding tools of choice for onboarding— VS Code or a similar IDE (not Dreamweaver or Wappler). 

Once deployed, the "Universal Editor" in AEM is what most staff members & content creators use.  It has an intuitive UI that requires minimal training to log-in and begin editing any aspect of any content in any implementation.  It's very flexible.

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-cloud-service/content/universal-editor/in...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea what is the reason for not using Dreamweaver or Wappler for AEM and what makes VS Code suitable?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what makes VS Code suitable?

By @BenPleysier

Probably just because the bracket extension has been ported under VSC https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=yamato-ltd.vscode-aem-sync

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines