• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create tar.gz archive of website

Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client who wants me to send him a tar.gz compressed archive of a website I am developing locally. I usually use 7-Zip to compress files simply because it's free but I don't know if it can create a tar.gz file. I understand you usually do it in Linux from the command line but I would prefer some sort of utility.

It's hard to tell what is legitimate online, so I'd prefer using a trusted source.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7-zip can make a tar file and a gz file. I don't know. Can you make a tar and then gzip it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No idea. I'll have to check. Do you know what the fundamental difference is between simply using 7-zip to create an archive and creating a tar.gz file? Is the tar.gz more reliable when it comes to the risk of data loss?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines