Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I miss the nntp server

Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here we are on the "other side" and although this has nice features that an NNTP server doesn't, I miss the simplicity of it.

I used to be aRT and though I've posted a fair amount on the NNTP server, those messages aren't here.

Forever lost, I guess?

I've looked for dooza and others but I don't don't what they now go by.

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

David_Powers wrote:

Murray *ACE* wrote:

I've seen nothing here in a week or so of intensive posting that would keep me here if NNTP were available <sniff>....

I have.

• The ability to embed images in messages (as opposed to attaching them) makes it easy to explain things with a quick screenshot.
  • When used properly, the code embedding feature keeps long lines of code intact, making it much easier to copy and paste them into Dreamweaver for testing.
  • When someone marks a question as "answered", you can fil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forever lost, I guess?

No. All NNTP posts are listed as newsgroup_user.

Many have decided not to make the journey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where else to go?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw Dooza on forum.cubicleminds.com in the bizwiz group.  And Im not loving this all that much, slow, having to log in again and again. Murray has made an appearance over there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a few good places to go...

news://forums.mredesign.com

news://forums.cubiclemind.com

news://forums.projectseven.com/dreamweaver

news://forums.projectseven.com/css

... and yes, I miss them too.

Lawrence   *Adobe Community Expert*
www.Cartweaver.com
Complete Shopping  Cart Application for
Dreamweaver, available in ASP, PHP and CF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I miss it, too. And how do you quote from previous message?

Bewildered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you quote from previous message?

Click the "Quote previous message" button at the top of the reply field:

quote_previous.png

You can then edit the message. You can also click the button multiple times to quote different parts of the previous message.

If you want to quote a different message, you need to click the reply link in the message you want to quote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David_Powers wrote:

how do you quote from previous message?

Click the "Quote previous message" button at the top of the reply field:

You can then edit the message. You can also click the button multiple times to quote different parts of the previous message.

If you want to quote a different message, you need to click the reply link in the message you want to quote.

Thanks, David.

Bewildered  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LArtJunky wrote:

Hey Art, I am still floating about when I get the time, but it took several attempts to reply, it kept crashing Firefox. If you look for me on other NNTP servers I will be posting under my real name, Steve Hoare.

Dooza

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to be honest.  I've seen nothing here in a week or so of intensive posting that would keep me here if NNTP were available <sniff>....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you, Murray,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not hating the web forums as much as I thought I would. Here's a few things that make it more livable...

1 - Create bookmarks to the forms you follow

Even if your session has expired and you need to log in again, after logging in you will be taken to the form you selected.

Note to Adobe - Why won't the browser remember my log in even though I tell it to AND I check the "remember me" box every time!  This works on every other web forum I belong to, so I know it's not my browser settings. What's up with this? Very annoying!

2 - In Outlook - or whatever you use - create folders for each Adobe forum you frequent.

3 - Create message rules in Outlook - or whatever you use - to route all the emails from the various forums to the folders you created.

4 - If you have a particular thread you want to follow bookmark it as well, you can delete the bookmark when you're done with it, or shuffle the bookmark off to a folder if you want to keep it around.

Doing this has helped. In fact, it's made it livable.  I still prefer NNTP, but that's a dead horse at this point so it's time to move on.

Lawrence   *Adobe Community Expert*
www.Cartweaver.com
Complete Shopping Cart Application for
Dreamweaver, available in ASP, PHP and CF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I particularily dislike having to login every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Murray *ACE* wrote:

I've seen nothing here in a week or so of intensive posting that would keep me here if NNTP were available <sniff>....

I have.

• The ability to embed images in messages (as opposed to attaching them) makes it easy to explain things with a quick screenshot.
  • When used properly, the code embedding feature keeps long lines of code intact, making it much easier to copy and paste them into Dreamweaver for testing.
  • When someone marks a question as "answered", you can filter out those threads, and concentrate on those that haven't been answered.
  • Moderators can lock duplicate threads, saving others wasted time and effort. It would be better if a lock icon appeared on the main list, so others could avoid it from the start.
  • When the FAQ page goes live, there should be a reduction in the number of basic questions asked over and over again. Even if they are, you will just be able to point the user to the FAQ.

Sure, the forum is slow at times, and the navigation still needs a lot of improvement, but - as Lawrence says - it's not as bad as many of us feared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David_Powers wrote:

Murray *ACE* wrote:

I have.

• When someone marks a question as "answered", you can filter out those threads, and concentrate on those that haven't been answered.
  • Moderators can lock duplicate threads, saving others wasted time and effort. It would be better if a lock icon appeared on the main list, so others could avoid it from the start.
  • When the FAQ page goes live, there should be a reduction in the number of basic questions asked over and over again. Even if they are, you will just be able to point the user to the FAQ.

Sure, the forum is slow at times, and the navigation still needs a lot of improvement, but - as Lawrence says - it's not as bad as many of us feared.

There are some good features, and I don't mind the look of the forum, but from the few times that I have visited them in the last few days I have had issues with performance and Firefox crashing. I get regular time outs, where the page does nothing. It will then suddenly work and you think yay, its fine, then 2 pages in and its stuck again. I then click reply and the browser crashes. I am willing to give the forum ago if it was stable.

I would love to think that the FAQ will stop the same old questions being asked, but I doubt it will make that much difference. For years we have been trying to get people to search first, then ask. Its just easier as a newbie to ask first and search second.

Dooza

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is LARtjunky and I just spent the morning trying to login only to find, each time, that their server was down or something.

Now, I just got to a page but it required me to login and when I loged in, it required me to select a USERNAME.

Do I have to start all over again?

Like someone mentioned, It sucks having to login EVERY SINGLE TIME...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, I must have two accounts through Adobe.

I'm back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still miss the NNTP server. I hardly ever post any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines