• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Dreamweaver going away? If so what is a close second WYSIWYG html editor?

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone!

I am worried that Dreamweaver may be going away... I have been using Dreamweaver even before it was Adobe.

I use Dreamweaver for all my web design work for my business. Can someone give me some details as to what is happening with DW and where we are going from here?

If Dreamweaver is being discontinued than what other html editors out there are close to it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ken Lenz Design 

I've moved your post to the Dreamweaver forum from Creative Cloud Desktop.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not being discontinued as yet but its not getting anymore updates, other than OS, bug fixes, so in effect you could be falling behind if you rely on it, without coding, to produce your work. For instance if you use Bootstrap then the default version in the current Dreamweaver is 4 whereas the current version of Bootstrap is 5. As far as anyone knows there are no plans to include v5 in Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver will continue to fall behind as newer workflows are introduced. Who knows when Adobe will officially declare its at the end of its life. For now if you can code it still remains a viable option as a code editor, however if you dont code it might be advisable to start looking around at other options available which are still  being actively developed.

2 similar options, which offer a visual interface, are:

Pinegrow

Wappler

There's many desktop code editors:

VS Code

Web Storm

Sublime Text

Php Storm

Codelobster

Nova (Mac only)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively to what is already mentioned, there is also a portion of the WYSIWYG market that has shifted to hosted solutions like Wix/Webflow/etc. So it really depends on how much code you are looking to still be able to control and what you are looking to support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteCan someone give me some details as to what is happening with DW and where we are going from here?
By @Ken Lenz Design

==========

Read this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver-discussions/bootstrap-5/m-p/14046967#M225831

If Dreamweaver is being discontinued than what other html editors out there are close to it?

===========

Visual Studio Code + Live Preview Extension is probably the closest thing to Dreamweaver from a FREE code editor.  See YT video below.

Keep in mind that no code editor will support DW's proprietary features:  DW Templates, Library Items, etc...  If you don't rely on proprietary features, and are able to work with code, you should have no trouble migrating to any code editor when the time comes.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this using VSCode:

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a world of difference between freeware & $62/month premium ware.

Pinegrow falls somewhere in the middle of the two.

$99/year. 

https://pinegrow.com/#buy

The optional plugins for WordPress Builder and Woo Commerce Builder are an extra $50 EACH/year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially when it saves about 3 weeks of work per month. Just try it. A NodeJS/Express project complete with a database populated with tables and fields. A saving of 120 hours @ $50 = $600 per month!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially when it saves about 3 weeks of work per month. Just try it. A NodeJS/Express project complete with a database populated with tables and fields. A saving of 120 hours @ $50 = $600 per month!

By @BenPleysier

Obviously the majority of professionals disagree.

120 hours at 50 would be a 6000 per month not 600, that would amount to 12 hours, less than 30 minutes a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @osgood_

Another baseless statement?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @osgood_

Another baseless statement?????

By @BenPleysier

l dont see Wappler listed in the most popular editor usage list do you?

After 5 years if a professional thought it was so great a solution they would be having a piece of it, if according to you there was a huge amount of time and money to be saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 5 years if a professional thought it was so great a solution they would be having a piece of it, if according to you there was a huge amount of time and money to be saved.

By @osgood_

Why don't you say that this is your opinion instead of stating it as a proven fact?

And please stop upvoting my replies when you do not agree with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @osgood_

Why don't you say that this is your opinion instead of stating it as a proven fact?

And please stop upvoting my replies when you do not agree with them.

By @BenPleysier

Because its not my opinion, its a fact taken from an independent survey.

I'm not upvoting anything, you should know by now that there is a robot which is doing that, which has returned to the forum or has never been booted out since it started doing it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_ thinks your post is awesome and just upvoted it!

Subject: Dreamweaver Discussions Re: Is Dreamweaver going away? If so what is a close second WYSIWYG html editor?
Date: Feb 20, 2024 03:27 PM

<P>l dont see Wappler listed in the most popular editor usage list do you?</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>After 5 years if a professional thought it was so great a solution they would be having a piece of it, if according to you there was a huge amount of time and money to be saved.</P>
<a href="https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/9302209">@osgood_</a>

<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Why don't you say that this is your opinion instead of stating it as a proven fact?</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>And please stop upvoting my replies when you do not agree with them.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>

By @osgood_

Show me the independant survey please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'osgood_ thinks your post is awesome and just upvoted it!'

You think I wrote that comment 😆 common sense should usually prevail but in this world I seriously have my doubts.

I'm sure you're more than capable of Googling for web surveys regarding usage of various editors, workflows etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you're more than capable of Googling for web surveys regarding usage of various editors, workflows etc.

By @osgood_

Thank you for your unusual complement! 

But it does not answer my question. The independent survey must be in your archive somewhere to allow you to quote it as a fact. Please humour me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @osgood_

Thank you for your unusual complement! 

But it does not answer my question. The independent survey must be in your archive somewhere to allow you to quote it as a fact. Please humour me.

By @BenPleysier

You have had enough humour recently.........take a break. I have faith that anyone who wants to do the research can easily come to their own conclusion about which editors are the most popular for development and which don't get a mention when a survey amongst a wider developer audience is conducted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mere fact that you cannot disclose your survey, is enough proof that you are sucking your so called facts, out of your thumb. 

This is my last reply to you on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mere fact that you cannot disclose your survey, is enough proof that you are sucking your so called facts, out of your thumb. 

By @BenPleysier

If you say so. As l've already said anyone with any common sense would be able to Google the current 2023 survey of web development workflows, which includes editor, ide usage etc, even yourself. I don't need to insult those with enough intelligence how to suck eggs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BenPleysier  I assume the Stack Overflow yearly developers survey is referenced here.

~90.000 developers taking part in it.

Wappler isn't part of the list of tools IDEs mentioned.

https://survey.stackoverflow.co/2023/#technology

Although this doesn't invalidate Wappler's utility and usefulness, of course. Pinegrow isn't mentioned either, btw, nor is Dreamweaver.

We use whatever works for us as individuals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although this doesn't invalidate Wappler's utility and usefulness, of course. Pinegrow isn't mentioned either, btw, nor is Dreamweaver.

By @rayek.elfin

Absolutely correct. The key is who these products are primarily aimed at. Some are aimed at the wider professional coder market, some not so much, which is going to be reflected when it comes to a comprehensive investigation by an established company that is well respected within the professional web-development sector.

I don't know myself of any surveys in the amatuer/entrepreneur sector, which if exists, would likely show a very different picture. My point was IF an application was considered by many developers to be the 'silver bullet' of web-development  it would be used by a lot more professionals and subsequently, show up, at least somewhere, in a comprehensive survey.  The fact that they don't proves my observation that the majority of professionals are not using them, for whatever reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A savings of 120 hours @ $50 = $600 per month!

By @BenPleysier

============

More like $6,000 but I get your point.  

I'm not sure how many Dreamweaver users have 1) built dynamic apps or 2) wrapped their head around Node.

Different tools for different tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another mysterious 'Upvote'........wasn't me, I swear. Haven't Adobe managed to banished this annoying bot yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another mysterious 'Upvote'........wasn't me, I swear. Haven't Adobe managed to banished this annoying bot yet.

By @osgood_

========

NOPE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, well it's connected with 'Community Expert' posts.......as soon as one of you lot posts the bot immediately upvotes your offering........although Mr Ben assumes its me upvoting a post I disagree with ........hummm...not sure how he works that one out but I'll overlook it given his octogenarian status. Hopefully that's not too rude, I'm hardly awake myself these days, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines