Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Dreamweaver the next to go?

Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Muse Product Announcement

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Like I promised, I checked with the senior management about the future of Dreamweaver, and their answer was that they see no reason to stop developing the product. Dreamweaver will continue to exist, period.

I understand that no amount of reassurance will suffice, but I do want to put other Dreamweaver users visiting this post at ease.

I am marking my answer as correct only because I want this question to be addressed upfront for visitors that will not care to read the rest of the discussion. If

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

If they did drop Dw though, would it make any difference providing they still allowed access to 'old' versions?

I don't know, I don't care, I'm very portable

If one editor flops I'll use another and if that flops I'll use another and another and another. Its all just code to me.

Actually Als right, I feel good when something like Muse flops because I was completely right. I don't feel good for the people that bought into Muse, I blame Adobe for selling them something they could never fullfil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they did drop Dw though, would it make any difference providing they still allowed access to 'old' versions?

Not to Adobe, no.

It might briefly make a difference to some end users, mainly novices, but not for long. The market quickly adapts and moves on to the next big thing.

In the case of DW, I think the market has already moved on.

This is the era of point-and-click, DIY, self-maintained websites created by novices. People expect them to look beautiful and be up and running in 24 hours with advanced functionality and rock solid, secure code.

Having said that, people don't care about standalone websites any more. They're so yesterday. Digital placeholders. It's all about social media and going viral. Come to my website but please contact me via FB or Twitter.

DW cannot compete. It's on life support. Muse was reasonable for its time but Adobe clearly has no interest in keeping up with the fast moving web and all its challenges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+Waller  wrote

Adobe clearly has no interest in keeping up with the fast moving web and all its challenges.

Cannot say, but that was the impression I came away with from a meeting, and was one of the reasons for my leaving the acp program, (I'm only interested in the web, so nothing to keep me).

The problem with Dw is that a lot of its features are not for the very small site creator, (no real drag and drop or wysiwyg) it has gone to a bootstrap or nothing model, and at the other end of the developer spectrum, it has absolutly no features of use whatsoever to offer the large corporate site developer.

Add to those the fact that Dw management listens to no one outside of a very small group, which is mainly composed of people who have never worked in the industry in any capacity whatsoever, so for me Dw even if it continues, only has a very limited future, with a user base mainly composed of those who have held on to the hope it would somehow become a modern CS6, but are slowly realising that it is not going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MUSE was a bit of scam product from Day 1 and I feel like everyone should have realized it. I'm a certified expert on the design side, so the I was drawn to Muse because it made the web side easier for me to wade into. But even I knew that any software that purports to make something hard, easy, is a poor dock from which you moor your ship. MUSE users wanted Adobe to make design easy, but not easy enough that they couldn't' charge someone for their services. That's a pretty crappy expectation for Adobe. Adobe can make much more money by targeting the end-user than targeting dumb people who want to only learn enough to sell their ready-made product to someone else.

I would recommend that any MUSE users, including myself, learn Dreamweaver or straight coding. It only makes sense. There are no shortcuts or cheats that can only be taken by yourself and nobody else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BenPleysier

I must be a little slow today, as I have only just realised who is asking the question .

I don't know if Dw cab is still going, but as you were/are a member, shouldn't you be telling us the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

@BenPleysier

I must be a little slow today, as I have only just realised who is asking the question .

I don't know if Dw cab is still going, but as you were/are a member, shouldn't you be telling us the answer?

It's called NDA . But seriously, I have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called NDA . But seriously, I have no idea.

That could stand for No Dreamweaver Announcements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming on the heels of the Muse announcement, I would be kidding if I had to say I wasn't expecting this discussion on the DW forum (based on previous discussions we have had this year.)

I am hoping that you will show some kindness to me when I say that I really haven't heard of any plans to take Dreamweaver off the saddle. I understand that this is very little information and possibly redundant, but being responsible for the posts on this forum, I thought it worth replying.

My reply to this post got delayed because I was attending to the many questions on the Muse forum yesterday.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry Preran, even if Adobe did announce the end of Dw, we would never blame you.

(The Dw PM maybe ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read through the announcement about Muse again, then read through a number of discussion regarding the discontinuation of Muse.

Given that the statement says

• Designers that are actively engaged in creating complex websites and applications are investing in UX design and prototyping skills while partnering with development teams to bring their designs to life.
  • For simpler websites, we’ve seen the emergence of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) website creators that leverage customizable templates to quickly create responsive websites that can be easily modified by the designer or a client.

I'm a little confused, as to me Muse is nothing more than a paid for DIY website creation tool, and what is being said about Adobe Spark (the pre-release version) makes it also nothing more than a DIY website creation tool. So that part simply does not add up.

As for the first part of the reason given by Adobe that I quote. I read that as Adobe is going back to its roots, and catering for the larger team, in that they are talking about ux and prototyping being the designers role in web development.

So apart from my 'answer' of 'would it really matter', I find myself asking just where Dw fits in with the Adobe world view?

It is not being used by most Ps extract users, many smaller site developers do prototyping in the browser, (or live view), UX design is not really part of development for someone using bootstrap, (its a take it or leave it option), and in the announcement Spark is recommended for newsleters.

If Adobe is going back to its core product user, the Dw simply does not fit in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I promised, I checked with the senior management about the future of Dreamweaver, and their answer was that they see no reason to stop developing the product. Dreamweaver will continue to exist, period.

I understand that no amount of reassurance will suffice, but I do want to put other Dreamweaver users visiting this post at ease.

I am marking my answer as correct only because I want this question to be addressed upfront for visitors that will not care to read the rest of the discussion. If any of you feel strongly against that, let me know, and I will take care of unmarking it.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still surprised Dreamweaver is still well Dreamweaver. At least in the sense of its name, is it still Dreamweaver otherwise 😉 ? Sure it was once a flagship app (maybe still is) and the branding and marketing aspect is obvious. But I can only imagine Adobe still feels Macromedia remains a thorn in its side. I honestly figured by now it would not be called Dreamweaver still. They had to be happy to rebrand Flash to Animate. Not much left prominently from the Macromedia days, I often wonder what could have been had the merger never occurred. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

certainly that homesite will still be around....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW is pretty much useless at his point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/john+stephanites  wrote

DW is pretty much useless at his point.

That's true, but it is still a much better option than Muse now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not when there are sites like Webflow. The reason for Muse was an easy non code way for designers. If you look at things like Webflow then you understand just how much Adobe failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at things like Webflow, then you will also see programs with a limited life.

I know it is a waste of time trying to tell Muse users why Adobe may have decided that Muse is no longer viable, but there is much more going on in web development than just the latest html, css and javascript.

Questions such as the use of WCAG Level 2, free trade agreements and compliance for sites offering goods and services. Both of which users of Muse and similar programs tend to ignore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines