• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

linking to a folder in Dreamweaver

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My site is on GoDaddy. I added Directory Privacy to a members-only folder. Once logged in, I have a link on the member page to a folder that, when accessed, will show the documents within for members to download. When I open locally within my browser, seems to work fine. But on-line, when I select the hot-link, I get a "FORBIDDEN - you don't have permission to access this resource. Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request" 

I have been on tech support for GoDaddy and with Adobe for many hours, with no solution, other than typing each document's name and linking each line to its related document, not feasible. I have to believe what I want to do must be possible and not very complex. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For web security reasons, directory contents should not be displayed by servers.  GoDaddy is exercising best practice by making this forbidden. 

As a workaround, create an index.php page in the Member's only folder.  

The scandir() function in PHP is used to return an array of files and directories from a specified directory.

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.scandir.php

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link has code examples with recommended use cases:

https://code-boxx.com/list-files-folders-php/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no solution, other than typing each document's name and linking each line to its related document, not feasible.

By @Mr Thackston

==========

To do this manually, drag & drop files from Files Panel into Design View.  For best results, begin with a basic stucture like an unordered list.

DW-drag-files-anim.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said @Nancy OShea , scandir() is a way to go for listing files.

However, I have two questions concerning your private access, and files downloading process :

• You want to create a member area to allow access to certain files. That's fine. But do all members access the same files? or said differently, do members have the same profile ?
  • You specify that members can download these files. The question is, how many files are are available for download ? Because then, that drives to a possible ergonomic problem which is that :
    - if the user wants to download a unique file, it translates into one click plus a save as dialog box,
    but
    - if the user wants to download several files it translates into as many clicks, plus save as dialog, as needed. In that case, the use of a single collection basket should be considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nancy. These folders just contain sheet music PDFs and learning tracks for new music. Not a big deal. One folder might have 30 files, another 25 and members will probably only download a few at a time. This weekend I will try your suggestions. I really appreciate your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem, I understand your process modeling better. If you need it, I had to develop this kind of functionality for different applications. Adapting it would not be complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines