• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Bootstrap 3 vs 4: which should I use?

Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you must support IE9 or earlier browsers, keep using Bootstrap 3.  It won't be updated again but will remain a stable release for all your current projects.

Bootstrap 4 is a major re-write using CSS Flexbox instead of Floats for layouts.  Additional changes include:

• New grid layout breakpoints (xs, sm, md, lg and xl) every tier has been bumped up one level.
  • Typography is expressed in REM instead of PX.
  • Source CSS files use SASS instead of LESS.
  • Many new utility classes which you might not recognize from Bootstrap 3.
  • Component changes -- panels, thumbnails & wells are replaced with cards.

For a more thorough summary of the big ticket items that changed in Bootstrap 4, see link below.  Keep in mind this is no longer an Alpha project.  Bootstrap 4 is the current stable release version.

https://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/migration/

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

it's those muppets that are in denial that annoy the hell out of me.

cannot argue with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Once it comes to managment positions though, the situation changes dramatically, even when those positions require more than an avarage knowledge of coding, there are more opportunities available to a person who has worked in that specific field of employment previously, than most would think, and that I have found continues well past 60.

Exactly, like the MPs I mentioned in my last post...........most are excess to requirement trying to hang on to some self importance when infact they have very few skills that are relevant to what is happening on a day to day basis, waste of space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is clearly YES.

Mots of the web/front-end dev jobs require things you mention every time that you dislike (obviously because you don't understand them and don't possess the right skills to use them) such as Bootstrap,  Foundation, Angular and/or(put here any other front-end js framewrok), Node, LESS/SASS etc. Just the first several jobs found on linkedin ...
Front-end UI Developer - Angular/React/JavaScript Job at Fidelis Cybersecurity in Bethesda, MD, US |...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/544217949/?eBP=NotAvailable&refId=a0cc0042-17c7-4e0e-94cd-4cae2fe...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/589784761/?eBP=NotAvailable&refId=a0cc0042-17c7-4e0e-94cd-4cae2fe...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/587918175/?eBP=NotAvailable&recommendedFlavor=true&refId=a0cc0042...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/624059506/?eBP=NotAvailable&recommendedFlavor=true&refId=a0cc0042...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamies34641468  wrote

The answer is clearly YES.

Mots of the web/fron-end dev jobs require things you mention every time that you dislike (obviously because you don't understand them and don't possess the right skills to use them) such as Bootstrap,  Foundation, Angular and/or(put here any other front-end js framewrok), Node, LESS/SASS etc. Just the first several jobs found on linkedin ...
Front-end UI Developer - Angular/React/JavaScript Job at Fidelis Cybersecurity in Bethesda, MD, US |...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/544217949/?eBP=NotAvailable&refId=a0cc0042-17c7-4e0e-94 cd-4cae2f...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/589784761/?eBP=NotAvailable&refId=a0cc0042-17c7-4e0e-94 cd-4cae2f...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/587918175/?eBP=NotAvailable&recommendedFlavor=true&refI d=a0cc004...

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/624059506/?eBP=NotAvailable&recommendedFlavor=true&refI d=a0cc004...

Fortunately I do have the skills which doesnt require me to resort to Bootstrap, Foundation, extensions etc obviously YOU as with so many who have been born into a world where they only know these workflows, don't.

Look on another web-development jobsite, one which I posted a link to a few weeks back, and Bootstrap, Sass,Less hardly gets a mention. A good knowledge of html/css/php does.

Web Designer Jobs - March 2018 | Indeed.co.uk

You do know that the best web-developers are itching to use css grid now don't you - 88% coverage and rising.....its coming and those that are still using Bootstrap v3 and v4 are going to be unemployable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

You do know that the best web-developers are itching to use css grid now don't you - 88% coverage and rising.....its coming and those that are still using Bootstrap v3 and v4 are going to be unemployable.

It will be years ... many years before css grid becomes usable for real-world web site building and not only mocking up layouts and than experimenting around.

My comment was related to you denying HTML frameworks, CSS pre-processors, JS Frameworks, Node JS in every post (and this has been happening for years) while most of the developers out there are using them and the amount of developers using them is increasing every day (working in real world), while 2 or 3 old guys in some adobe forum are fighting who is better at coding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamies34641468  wrote

osgood_   wrote

It will be years ... many years before css grid becomes usable for real-world web site building and not only mocking up layouts and than experimenting around.

You obviously know nothing and are in denial because you think frameworks are the best thing since sliced bread. Its usable now my friend with some fallbacks of course - give it 12 months you will start seeing the shift towards main steam production. Its happening a lot faster than it did with flexbox.....already 88% of modern browser support grid 88%!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamies34641468  wrote

My comment was related to you denying HTML frameworks, CSS pre-processors, JS Frameworks, Node JS in every post (and this has been happening for years) while most of the developers out there are using them and the amount of developers using them is increasing every day (working in real world), while 2 or 3 old guys in some adobe forum are fighting who is better at coding

Problem is you dont know why you are using them, apart from being told by someone you must use them and they probably make you feel like you have more skill when infact you have less understanding of what it is you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

osgood_ wrote:

Everyone whose anyone has been using V4 for about a year

Bootstrap 4.0 was realeased on 18th January, less than two months ago.

Everyone whose anyone INCLUDING YOURSELF has been using v4 in production for over six months+ A clear case of someone in denial, cant see the woods from the trees and whose mind set has been warped by this forum even though they are using the workflow themselves, I rest my case in regards to the intelligence of the people that post in this forum, they have none.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

An auto-prefixer for Bootstrap 4 is necessary when compiling SASS files, it is not required when using CDN's as in Nancy's answer.

As a workaround for Dreamweaver, I use Prepros.

It may be required also for the user created css file when using bootstrap 4. Users should not just think about prefixing flexbox, as many other css properties still require prefixing.

The requirerment for a prefixer that can be applied to just a specific user selection, and not just on save, or to the entire css will continue for a number of years, (think css grids).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not disputing the fact that an auto-prefixer would be a great asset if included in Dreamweaver. All I am saying is that the content of your premise is not correct, namely

Dw does not support a stand-alone css auto-prefixer, although the one recommended for use in the bootstrap v4
Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least l can sleep at night not like the other muppets saying yes mam, no mam, just to keep the free products flowing. Id rather stick pins in my own eyes than be corrupted by monetery incentives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Alright, a nice, helpful heads-up about the changes regarding Bootstrap in DW has gone off the tracks.

If anyone has a valid reason to unlock this week's "who is a professional thread hijack", send me a PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines