Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Dreamweaver CS6 constantly freezing when ftp connection times-out

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone's encountered this problem - when uploading via ftp and the connection times out Dreamweaver freezes - you can't close it, it just keeps saying "connection timed out", won't stop the process and the only way to get it back to work is to force close it. Happens on a very regular basis and is quiet frustrating. I'm using Adobe CS6 on a windows 7 machine.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem too. Or a version of this problem. It happens whenever I set up a new site, add ftp and then save the settings. DW will crash. Just happened this morning setting up a client's earthlink site. Made the new connection, tested, it hung, then dw crashed. Reopened, entered settings again, tested, saved. Then went to connect to the new site, connected, DW crashed. This has been going on since CS5, now on CS6 subscription. Both Vista 64. In all cases I can connect with an alternate ftp program without issue. Occasionally I will get a hang/crash on connecting, but for whatever reason it happens without fail whenever I change or update ftp server settings. It's annoying because I lose whatever I was working on and have to reopen all files. It's been regular enough that I know to close everything before I change any ftp settings.

Any help would be great...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under More Options, see screenshot:

DWCS6-moreOptions.jpg

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. When it's trying to connect, you can't even access the Manage Sites dialogue. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying. Unfortunatly toggling those options doesn't prevent the crashing. Today, in a particulary hard crash, I got a "Data Execution Prevention" message from Windows. Always on FTP settings changes/testing. It usually takes two crashes for me to get the settings in place and working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely a problem. It seems like it just started occuring with CS6 in the last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now on Windows 8, CS6. Still having the ftp crashes! I think it's a bug.

It happens on the first connection to the server after settings are changed. I can usually create, then test the ftp settings. Once I save and close the Manage Sites dialogue box and go to the Files panel to connect. That first connection after settings change will crash DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Quick question - are you using the Creative Cloud version of CS6 and if so have you updated to the latest?

Just trying to make sure we have the correct version number...

Thanks.

- AG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I am using CS6 Version 12.2 build 6006.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please enable check-in / check-out present in the advanced section of the server setup dialog. Give a check-out name and save the information. Now try put/get of the files and let us know the status.

image.fw.png

Thanks,

Srivatsa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx ndsrivatsa..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that. For almost a year I have fought with dw FTP issues. It kills my productivity. I am a professional and most developers I know fight with it as well.

Robb

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm starting to think this is a Router/Modem problem, or is it Dreamweaver not negotiating correctly with this modem/router.

I take my iMac to either of my brother-in-laws ... one on rogers.com, one on Bell ... use Dreamweaver no problems with ftp timing out after a minute.

Prior to updating my modem/router from Rogers, no problems.

This modem/router is a Cisco DPC3825.

Called Rogers... this is above there technical capability... nobody really got what I was talking about.

Called Cisco ... would not help, this is Rogers responsibility to support.

So I'm thinking of buying a new Dlink ....

But what a waste of time... ahhh!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Comcast at the office and at home. I have the exact same issues at both places but it's very inconsistent when it cancels the operation. Some days I can work with zero issues and other times I can't get anything done efficiently. The other night at home I would try to upload a file a dozen times and it cancelled the operation immediately. For hours that was the case. I would wait a few seconds and upload again and it may or may not work.

I know my office and home have different modems, routers, and internet classes, so the only consistent factor is Comcast itself. Get thee behind me, Comcast.

Robb Smith

http://twitter.com/RobbRokk

http://RobbRokk.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srivasta - I tried enabling the file check-in/check-out. It didn't prevent the crash. Like clockwork, DW crashed on the second connection after changing settings on my Win 8 Pro desktop.

It is odd. It doesn't happen on my Macbook Pro (DW, CS6 latest version). I also have Comcast, but that doesn't seem to be the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm I am also having this problem. I have to crash out Dreamweaver CS6 every now and again as it gets stuck on "Operation timed out. Cancelling". Before (CS5) I could force this timeout to cancel itself but not anymore, it just hangs forever now.

This happens with various FTP servers, all fine with Filezilla. It's really been an issue with CS5 too, except that I could force it to stop without crashing out Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 8 Pro 64bit, CS6 64bit....Same problem... (I tried Nancy O's fix, no dice)

How can a company like Adobe, not get FTP'ing down... #FAIL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Dreamweaver team, we are sorry you guys are having to dela with this!

I hope it goes without saying that negatively impacting your productivity is the opposite of what we want. Thanks for working with us - We will continue to hammer on this until resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I appreciate the follow through. Let me know if you need more info for testing. -- Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having issues with crashing. Always on "background file activity" after attempting ftp connection.

dreamweaver crashing on ftp change.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having issues. I can connect initially, then I'm able to check in and/or check out, but usually on another try, it gets hung up, times out. Really frustrating and waste of time during the work day. I also installed the update available and it made the problem worse!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try toggling the more options settings in your site definition.  See screenshot.

DWCS6-moreOptions.jpg

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, I messed with those settings quite a bit. Sometimes toggling would work for maybe one or two FTP connections but eventually it would hang and time out again. It just wasn't consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have suddenly got this problem for first time today. I am a web developer with about twenty websites and I use Dreamweaver all the time to access them. Windows 7, Dreamweaver from the cloud, currently v12.1 build 5966. ( I have since updated to v12.2 build 6006 – but same problem.)

Today on one website I got the 'hanging while cancelling' problem exactly as described here (the server was at names.co.uk). I tried to access another website (different company, different server) and Dreamweaver accessed that successfully. I also accessed my 'problem' website with FileZilla and FileZilla accessed it successfully and uploaded files successfully. I had accessed my problem website successfully with Dreamweaver four weeks ago.

So the problem appears to be with Dreamweaver and some sites/servers.

In my view, the problem falls into two parts.

1. Dreamweaver fails to get access to a site, when it ought to succeed.

2. When it fails in this way, it does not fail cleanly but sends the CPU up to 50% usage and hangs in that state for about 4-5 minutes.

In my view it is this 2nd problem which is the most serious (and time-wasting and annoying). The first could be a whole number of causes, with settings and all sorts of things, but the second is definitely Dreamweaver, and must be fixed or we have no chance of experimenting to find the cause of the first problem.

I can give you more detail but in essence the problem seems to happen after Dreamweaver creates a temporary directory (MM_CASETEST4291) and before it fails to delete it:

So in the FTP log I get :

> MKD MM_CASETEST4291

< 257 "MM_CASETEST4291" : The directory was successfully created

and that is the end of the log. I DO NOT get the usual follow up of :

> RMD MM_CASETEST4291

< 250 The directory was successfully removed

Instead Dreamweaver seems to go into a tight loop, using up c50% of CPU for about 5 minutes.

I hope this helps you to find the problem.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

conormaxwell wrote:

I have suddenly got this problem for first time today....

I would suggest clearing your DW Cache...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

That tends to be a workable solution to most "just started happening" issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines