Exit

Menu and Sub-Menu

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people.

I am hoping you can help me.

In DW CS6 you could put a spry link/menu bar that had some sub-menu links as you rolled your mouse over it...

I now have 2018 release in CCM and it is not there anymore. (or at least I cannot find it....)

I want to build a navigation menu with buttons I have created.

The button will take you to the specific page.

BUT, I do not want buttons for the "sub-menu" links, for example a page that is in effect a child page of a main subject.

i.e.

I have a button for the "Style" section, but I have a few other pages that are a part of the "style" division, but different.

For example, "Style-Fashion show" and "Moments in Time-Moments", "Moments in Time-Museum" etc. etc.

Now, I only want ONE button for each of the main sections, but when someone mouses over the button, a "sub-menu" pops up listing the other pages within that division.

Where has that spry widget gone to now ?

What is the alternative ? (NOT a drop down menu...)

Thank you in advance.

Glen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 Spry was discontinued in 2012. 

#2 Hover won't DO anything on touch screen devices that have no mouse.  For usability reasons, you need  sub-menus that can be invoked on click, finger tap or keyboard tab key.

#3 If you use Bootstrap for your responsive layout,  Go to  Insert > Bootstrap Components > Navigation > Nav Pills with Dropdown.

#4 If you don't use Bootstrap, you will have to code your own or find a jQuery Plugin you like.

https://www.jqueryscript.net/tags.php?/responsive%20menu/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy OShea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Spry collection of code functionality would be considered "old school"... You will get a better selection of tools from the Bootstrap or similar framework:

Design responsive websites using Bootstrap

Here is a simple explainer video that might help out:

Editing bootstrap menu with Dreamweaver CC 2018 - YouTube

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anissa Thompson.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to include a link describing  Bootstrap Tabs and Pills

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note to augment the suggestions from Nancy and Anissa...

If you don't use (or don't want to use) Bootstrap, and you don't want to take a chance on the wildly variant quality (or lack thereof) of jQuery plugins, it does not mean you have to code it yourself.

Dreamweaver became a popular program 20 years ago because of its extensions (which Spry actually was). Project Seven makes fully automated menu builders with visual interface that install into Dreamweaver. What you get is the finest menus there are, and unlimited support via email, forum, and telephone. We've also been known to make the occasional house call for Ohio customers 😉

http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/amm/index.htm

http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/mxm/index.htm

For some reason, many of the ACPs do not seem to appreciate extensions anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Al,

Don't lump me in with that remark about many ACPs...   I like extensions as stated in my remarks below

Re: Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

That said, there are many different ways to generate menus. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not "jumping" you, Nancy. And, I know you occasionally mention extensions... but you didn't mention that possibility on this thread. That said, there has been a gradual erosion of Dreamweaver's usage that obviously correlates with the most frequent community contributors abandoning extensions for (in historic order) Spry, Fluid Grids, and Boilerplate. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the pattern. The one thing that always made Dreamweaver appealing were the plethora of quality extensions (both commercial and free). Bootstrap is not special. If you continue to promote Dreamweaver as an environment for building Bootstrap pages, Dreamweaver will continue down its current path to oblivion, and no programmer in Adobe's stable will be able to save it.

The continuing promotion of Bootstrap and open source plugins will result in nothing but a quicker death for Dreamweaver.

I guarantee it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that I could do my work without Dreamweaver extensions. Wel, I could, but then I would not work efficiently and I would be robbing my clients of their valuable $$$$$'s.

With that statement, I hope my ACP badge is not included as part of your remark.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not. And as much as I'd love to see folks like Nancy and Anissa touting extensions... I know it's going to take a lot of time to change this community. I sometimes feel like a Victorian transported to the 21st century. Was it really so long ago that Dreamweaver team leaders like Matt Brown were blogging extension reviews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

I don't think that I could do my work without Dreamweaver extensions. Wel, I could, but then I would not work efficiently and I would be robbing my clients of their valuable $$$$$'s.

I dont think I'm robbing my clients as you put it because I don't use extensions. I have an idea and that's what I code, I don't have to concern myself whether/if an a extension/plugin can or is capable of doing what is required.

Look at that other bit of software you are using. If one follows that forum its clear that its a limited box of tricks....only the other day someone asked can I evoke an animation onclick........answer 'no' not at the moment. Well here's news if you can code you can evoke animations on click. There is a continual stream of posts which expose the softwares limitations.

Im not saying extensions and bits of software that automate a process should be ignored, of course not, they do a good job with limited options IF that is what you require or have to accept, given a lack of skill and knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess what I'm trying to say in a really subtle way is that if you're not into extensions (whether to augment your coding skills or because you can't code) then there are very few reasons to use Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last year or two we've tried to avoid using extensions as much as possible ... No disrespect to the extension developers at all but we want to avoid as much inconvenience in the future as much a possible- lesson learned years ago with the very fine Interakt extensions

You never know which company Adobe will buy next and what the consequences might be

Adobe are a closed-shop software giant, they don't seem to care for third party add-ons and the developers that much and don't care for highly extensible software like Adobe Fireworks either .... The company is way to big and the end-user is suffering as a consequence.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines