• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Facebook, Instagram, What's App down worldwide!

Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no great tragedy to me personally.  I don't use their platform & try to steer clear of anything FB-related (to the extent that one can). Just the same,  I can't help but wonder what's going on...   Is this an inside job?  What are the deeper implications of this hack?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media
TOPICS
Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have further details or explanations of what are you refering exactly to ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facebook and all its apps went down for several hours on Oct 4. 

https://www.reuters.com/technology/facebook-instagram-down-thousands-users-downdetectorcom-2021-10-0...

FB employees could not access anything or reset servers.  DNS records were wiped.  For a time, the domain was available for sale...

https://www.macobserver.com/news/facebook-is-for-sale-it-appears/

Twitter and Redit were on fire about it

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23FACEBOOKDOWN

All this after a FB whistleblower came out publicly accusing FB of "putting profits over safety" of users.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-whistleblower-firm-places-profits-003930990.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did hear about it on a news website this morning but being an old fart I don't use any social media platforms, so I couldn't care less if they all disappeared up their own posteriors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you don't use their social media platforms, FB have far-reaching tenticles that invade just about everything we do including games and log-ins to other apps and services including Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the other giants, Amazon in particular and the David's of the platforms can have a go.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you don't use their social media platforms, FB have far-reaching tenticles that invade just about everything we do including games and log-ins to other apps and services including Adobe's.

By @Nancy OShea

you're right, people don't realize how these services have intruded into our digital lives, and this whether one is consenting or not,... and on another note, how many people use Facebook Container when surfing ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Nancy OShea

Fortunately I dont play games online either............I'm not really bothered by 'giants' apart from they easily 'brain wash' web-developers into using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut, which is my biggest issue with all of them Not looking so good now though, maybe some will wise up and start thinking for themselves instead of following like zombies, fat chance that will happen! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really bothered by 'giants' apart from they easily 'brain wash' web-developers into using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut, which is my biggest issue with all of them 

By @osgood_

Web developers working with nuts? That's a new one on me. Any more info to satisfy my curiosity?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doesnt the majority of all the current over engineering, frameworks, libraries, workfows etc spring forth from one of these large monoliths or owe its origins to a tech lead who has worked for one? Well if you've read the news you now know why they may need to use such workflows, the majority do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks @Nancy OShea , in fact the web has entered our daily life in a strong way as many "regalian" services, and it is true that when something goes wrong the repercussions are immediately perceptible, and have an impact that for some can have consequences more than notorious.

As @BenPleysier points out, what is negative for some opens the door for others... 😉

I didn't notice this incident that happened tonight, I had my farm worker's hat on, lost in the middle of the future orchard plantations, and I just checked my email back at the car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines