• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preventing links in form submissions through php.

Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working on this for several days and haven't found an easy solution. I've created a simple question and answer form that uses PHP to load up a Subject and comment field. The comment field is very similar to the form I'm using to fill out this question. It's a simple Text Area box, the Subject is a simple Text Field box. Both are required and add to a MySQL database table that has an id, subject and comments table setup.

Now that I've got it up I'd like to prevent folks from adding links and scripts to both fields. I just want plain text, no <a href"my good stuff.com"> or malicious scripts. There's got to be a simple way of looking at the text in the fields and discovering < or > and then just redirecting them to an error page that says you can't post code here...

I've written code that validates e-mails addresses, but I can't seem to get a handle on looking for and failing any post that attempts to add a link.

Thanks for the help.

TOPICS
Server side applications

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2009 Aug 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several techniques. Best if you read about cross site scripting. Just search for 'php xss validation' for many examples. Here's a good article.

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2007-A1#Protection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2009 Aug 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the link. I've looked at lots of articles like that. I don't want to sanatize, I want to prevent. Shouldn't the code be as simple as

$comments = $_REQUEST['comments'] ;

if ($comments contains any code or links line <a href = or anything like that) {
     GoTo error page}
else post the comment to the database

Obviously this isn't code, it's the idea. I have code that checks for a valid e-mail addresses. Sometimes I do that with Spry, sometimes with PHP validation.

Come to think of it a Spry validation script that checked for malicious code would be a very elegant solution. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Preventing this kind of problem should be easier than loading up something like htmlpurifier 4.0 (a ton of code) that, as far as I can tell, sanitizes the code, which I don't want, rather than simply preventing html or java special characters from being added to the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines