Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems when creating new sites

Contributor ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Every time I try and create a new site inside a folder that has an existing site I get this error message

"The root folder you have chosen is inside the folder for site 'xxx'. This may cause some operations, such as synchronization, to work incorrectly. Proceed anyway?"

How can I get rid of this problem? Can I proceed anyway?

I'm running Dreamweaver 2019 on  MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Thanks.

Mark

TOPICS
Error , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

You're still trying to create a new site from an existing site's root folder. You used "Websites" as the root for your Bolsas de Panama website. 

If your intention is to store multiple sites within the "Websites" folder, you'll need to set the Bolsas de Panama root folder to something other than the "Websites" folder, then create the second site's folder within the "Websites" directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to create a new site insidde an existing site?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BenPleysier , once I faced such a trouble of nested web sites... in fact it was a plain HTML web site presenting just the compagny, and the compagny wanted to open a blog on the one hand, and a product catalog on the other hand... of course the blog being Wordpress and the catalog Prestashop.

The problem was that for reasons that escape me the customer did not want to open two respective sub-domains, but dig the tree structure of the main domain. That made a web site made of three part... the main host, the blog and the catalog... ofr organisation purpose, it was interesting to split this project into three main part

(I also had the problem with a médical tool for helping and preventing diagnostics, in that case it was more than 9 differents web sites approach)

Well, at that time with David, we continued to request the prerelease to be able to define a root folder that is floating ... either to allow a tree upstream (i.e the old inc folders) or complex trees (multi server (for media) or applications derived)

Perhaps that the OP is in such a situation ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is the case, where the OP requires nested sites, then my answer would be to disregard the warning message(s) and just continue.

I have had to use that technique on a number of occasions where files had to be stored above the site root directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

personnaly I created as many web sites as I need, and in the hosting one, I placed alias (just for the local navigation)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben and everyone else for your help.

I've tried to respond several times to this post, without success. Not sure where the problem is, but it would appear as though others are experiencing the same problem.

You are correct. I wasn't thinking properly. My intention was to create a single site, and within that site create several different templates. For some reason, I convinced myself that for each new template I needed to create a new site. I guess that's what happens after being locked up for a year.

I am still having problems though creating new sites, and here are two screenshots. Inside the Documents Folder I have a folder titled Websites. I want to add a new site to it, but I get the same error message.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kind regards,

Mark

documents.jpgsitesetup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still trying to create a new site from an existing site's root folder. You used "Websites" as the root for your Bolsas de Panama website. 

If your intention is to store multiple sites within the "Websites" folder, you'll need to set the Bolsas de Panama root folder to something other than the "Websites" folder, then create the second site's folder within the "Websites" directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Yeah, thanks. I misunderstood how Dreamweaver was creating the site. I created a folder within the "websites" folder for each site, and everything is working just fine. Thanks for all you help, and the same to everyone else who contributed.

Kind regards,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you shouldn't use Websites as the root folder...

for what I see you have thre websites... Bolsas de Panama, Latin seasonings and Templates...

so use each of this folder as being site root for each one of them...

I mean Bolsas de Panama website must use the folder Bolsas de Panama as its own website root

Latin Seasonings website must use the folder Latin seasoning as its own website root

But.... be aware, that if Templates is the folder created by Dreamweaver to store the websites templates... this folder cannot' be moved, nor renamed... so, you will first have to relocate the tempalet them selves (the .dwt files).

because all new web site Bolsas de Panama and Latin Seasoning, will create their own Templates folder in within them selves.

Perhaps I'm not clear at all explaining this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Ben on the "Why?" here.

Just because a site is going to be nested when published, doesn't mean you need to nest the files locally during development. That can get confusing and lead to problems.

Create a new, separate site folder, then use the second site's FTP settings to determine where it will be uploaded, that's what they're for. No need to confuse the program, or yourself, by messing around with nested site definitions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jon.  I have a site I work with that has public facing web pages and a member's only section. To keep things organized, I use two separate site definitions.  Most assets are stored on content distribution networks (CDNs) so images & scripts are easily shared by both sites.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jon. 

By @Nancy OShea

Maybe it's a language problem due to my bad interpretation of English, but the way you say "I agree with Jon" implies that you disagree with other possible approaches... (apart from Ben's question), I'm alone to propose an alternative of structure.

So please, what would be different in my last proposal which goes further than the one frome @Jon Fritz , showing how to put these different independent projects together in Dreamweaver ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jon who agrees with Ben about the "why?". 

That's all I have to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jon who agrees with Ben about the "why?". 

That's all I have to say.

By @Nancy OShea

and ...

I think we are all in the same questioning, on why to use nested sites ?

By @B i r n o u

so you agree with every ones... don't you ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we are all in the same questioning, on why to use nested sites ?

Precisely, and depending on the case, I proposed to the OP to use as many distinct sites (as necessary sites that would be nested online) and to use aliases (shortcuts) at the host site level in order to preserve the functional tree structure from the host site. At least it's how I manage such contexts, and that works like a charm... in Dreamweaver, in local testing, and in Bridge manipulations... no to say about remote server, because all Dreamweaver localwebsites point at the appropriate place on remote.

hosted-alias-11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having fun with ChatGPT? 

In future don't include a link that has nothing to do with the topic. it's called `spam`.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Chat GPT is considered spam.  I took care of it & locked this topic. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines