• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quickest way to duplicate html page so I can work on a copy

Contributor ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you jump on me for the stupidness of this question, I have already done it two ways so far as follows:

1. created a new blank html page and then copied the code over.

2. did a "save as" (I guess that's quick enough)

It just seems strange there is no quick "create duplicate page" function, like there is in most other web design software I've used.

Am I missing something obvious?
At my stage of DW newbie-ness it's a no-brainer to always work on a copy to avoid destroying the good work of the day before.

When I typed the question above into the DW help, I got presented with all sorts of long-winded suggestions  that looked irrelevant and far more complicated than simply duplicating a page.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

I use File > SaveAs > newfilename.html.  I have worked that way in MS Office and other products for decades.

If you use DW proprietary Templates, you can craft an entire site with the same layout, common headers, footers, navigation and Editable Regions for content that changes from page to page.

How to design web pages based on Dreamweaver templates

Template.dwt files are unique to DW and thus don't work in other HTML editors.

Pros:

Consistency.  Every child page spawned from your Template.dwt i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use File > SaveAs > newfilename.html.  I have worked that way in MS Office and other products for decades.

If you use DW proprietary Templates, you can craft an entire site with the same layout, common headers, footers, navigation and Editable Regions for content that changes from page to page.

How to design web pages based on Dreamweaver templates

Template.dwt files are unique to DW and thus don't work in other HTML editors.

Pros:

Consistency.  Every child page spawned from your Template.dwt is the same as every other page created from that template.

Cons:

If you edit the Template, you must populate changes to all child pages and upload all child pages to your server each time.   Even on small-ish sites, that can take a lot of extra time.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the absolute fastest, and safest (in terms of getting the file saved in your current defined site) is important, then use your files panel. Select the file and press CTRL + C to copy it. Select the folder where you want the copy and choose CTRL + V to paste it. Edit the name of the file by clicking the name twice to make it editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both replies given are correct and helpful. Thank-you. I guess it's just another sign that DW expects us all to be at a level where we don't need such spoon-feeding. A good thing I guess. Just thought I might be missing something obvious but perhaps not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did you try {ctrl | cmd} + D from the file panel when a file (or more) is (are) selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines