Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Specifying an alternate file editor

Explorer ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running DW 20.1 - build 15211

If I right-click on a file in the file list and choose Open With > Browse I can select the Notepad++ program as an editor to use on special occasions when I need something I can't do in the Dreamweaver editor (like edit a protected dwt area to test something before I change the dwt in Dreamweaver). This works fine, but there doesn't seem to be a way to make that choice of editor stick for future use. I can't seem to find any preferences for that. Is there a place to enter that alternate program to use via Open With?

I am aware of the dangers of editing something outside of DW, but sometime there is a quick test I need to make in a DWT file before I do it "for real" within DW.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the official documentation: https://helpx.adobe.com/au/dreamweaver/using/setting-coding-preferences.html

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of that setting. I only want to use another editor for some html, htm, php files on occasion. I want to use DW for those file types 99.9% of the time. I only need to use notepad++ on occasion. But when I do, I need to use it multiple times in a short window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate the problem; do not see a way out except to use the system's file manager to open the files.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That is what I have been doing. Just trying to save some steps, if possible. Take care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what Ben said, scroll down to Use an External Editor.

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/dreamweaver/using/setting-coding-preferences.html#use_an_external_editor

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to use a different editor all the time for htm, html, php files. I can go weeks without needing to use notepad++. But when I need to use it, I need to use it several times. And having to constantly browse to the Program Files / Notepad++ directory and select the exe file is a pain. So is going into preferences and changing the editor back and forth between DW and notepad++. It would be nice to set an alternate editor and call it up when needed. I guess DW doesn't have that feature. I thought it might be there and I just didn't see it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And having to constantly browse to the Program Files / Notepad++ directory and select the exe file is a pain."

You don't need DW for this.  Use your operating system to create a shortcut icon on your desktop.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had that shortcut on my desktop and in the task bar at the bottom of my screen for a long time. When I use that shortcut I still have to navigate to the file within notepad++. I'd rather just right click on the file in DW and do Open With to save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. As below archived document mentioned, we could store the default external editor by clicking the browser button in preferences of Dreamweaver.
https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=LaxetOGeD7kC&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=Dreamweaver+external+editor+pre...

However this feature was deprecated for some reason a long time ago.
Please submit this in the request from on dreamweaver.uservoice.com
https://dreamweaver.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines