Exit

Updating Sass, Bourbon and Neat

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer: Mac 10.14.4

Dreamweaver Version: 19.1

How do I know what version of Sass Dreamweaver is using?

How do I update the Bourbon and Neat libraries that Dreamweaver uses?

Bourbon, for example, is up to version 5, but Dreamweaver is still using version 4.2.6 from 2015.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Hi MysticKnight,

Thanks for reporting.

The latest Dreamweaver version 19.1 supports below version for Sass, LESS, Compass:

• Sass: 3.4.25
  • LESS: 2.7.2
  • Compass: 1.0.3

You can refer to the below documentation for more details.

Using CSS preprocessors in Dreamweaver

For Bourbon and Bourbon Neat libraries to be updated to latest versions in Dreamweaver, this feature enhancement is in our backlog.

We will be prioritizing this enhancement request. Will keep you updated once we have any update on it.

Regards

Dreamw

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MysticKnight,

Thanks for highlighting this issue. I would like to inform you that, we have already raised this to our engineering team, and they are currently working on it. We will definitely get back to you as soon we get an update from them.

Regards,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean there's nothing I can do about it in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MysticKnight,

In the meantime, I would suggest you, share your feedback here:- Adobe Dreamweaver: Feature Ideas on our user voice page, also help us with your thread here, so that we can keep a track of it as well.

Regards,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a feature idea, it's a question...

Is there a way to update those libraries now while the engineers are working on a more permanent solution?

It's not even a complicated question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble that you are facing, as of now, I am not aware of a workaround solution for this issue. I am hoping that the other experts here would have a better idea on this.

Regards,
Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing built into the DW interface to allow for updating that kind of thing via preferences.

You'd have to dig through the program files and make changes to the libraries, if the developers left them in a user-readable format, and hope nothing "new" breaks the program.

It's possible it could be done, but Adobe doesn't generally share the locations or give instructions on how to modify program files safely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible it could be done, but Adobe doesn't generally share the locations or give instructions on how to modify program files safely.

I don't want to modify any program files. That shouldn't be necessary. At the VERY least, they should have made it so I can run the Bourbon installer and it just replaces the old version inside Dreamweaver. Frankly, there should just be a simple button right in Dreamweaver that says Update Bourbon.

Bourbon and Neat are 2 very important libraries for professional developers and I just can't imagine how someone at Adobe implemented those libraries with no way to update them. Not only that, but the Bourbon library is 4 years old. When they implemented the ability to access those libraries in Dreamweaver, why didn't they at least use the most current library?

It's as if the Adobe software engineer didn't realize software is regularly updated. This is such an elementary mistake that it boggles my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how many people actually use Bourbon & Neat.  My guess is the numbers are  low and nobody asked for this feature until now.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how many people actually use Bourbon & Neat.  My guess is the numbers are  low and nobody asked for this feature until now. 

The fact that it was added to Dreamweaver to begin with, makes it clear that people use it. It should have never been added without the ability to update it.

And if they aren't going to support it now, it should be removed from Dreamweaver.

And as long as I'm on the subject removing unsupported features that only confuse users and complicate Dreamweaver, why hasn't the Design View been removed? How many years has that been outdated, unusable and just in the way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live View is good but it's not perfect yet.  Design View is still essential for some things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essential? It can't even handle basic CSS3 or HTML5 (released 5 years ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying Design View is any great shakes with CSS or viewport units.  But some things cannot be done efficiently in Live View.   If you work with DW Templates or image maps or PHP files, you know what I'm talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use Design View, but then again, I don’t use templates to create websites.

Frankly, I would like them to make Design View a strong development environment, but we haven’t had a good WYSIWYG interface since GoLive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran​

Why would you mark that answer as correct? It has nothing to do with my original question.

Here is the correct answer...

I wasn't sure if I could just install Bourbon into my website _sass folder or not because I didn't know if there were configuration files that were somehow connected to the Bourbon install files from Dreamweaver.

I experimented and installed the Bourbon folder the normal way through Dreamweaver and then I closed Dreamweaver (just to be safe). Then, while I was in the Finder, I removed the Bourbon folder that Dreamweaver created (not while I was in Dreamweaver).

Then I installed a new Bourbon folder where the old one was using Terminal according to these instructions...

https://medium.com/@jaejohns/how-to-install-bourbon-on-a-mac-using-terminal-7024cb7a4dc7

Then I opened Dreamweaver and tested Bourbon by adding a class that's only in the new version of Bourbon to one of my elements. So far it seems to be working just fine.

I don't know why someone from Adobe didn't know this answer here or why they marked an unrelated reply as the answer or why nobody from Adobe ever replied to the question that I sent to tech support.

Hopefully, this helps someone else having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MysticKnight​, thank you for your response.

It would make a lot more sense if you explained where to find the Bourbon folder and why it is so important to have the latest version installed. Security would be top of the list.

Please be reminded that this is a user2user forum and that not all users that frequent this space use Bourbon. This could be a reason why others have not given you the solution and why I am so pleased the you have found the answer.

Please supply the relevant information so that your answer will be marked 'Correct Answer'.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

It would make a lot more sense if you explained where to find the Bourbon folder and why it is so important to have the latest version installed. Security would be top of the list.

Please be reminded that this is a user2user forum and that not all users that frequent this space use Bourbon. This could be a reason why others have not given you the solution and why I am so pleased the you have found the answer.

Please supply the relevant information so that your answer will be marked 'Correct Answer'.

If there is anyone using Sass and/or Bourbon in Dreamweaver, they don't need to be told where Dreamweaver installs those folders, but I don't mind telling you... Dreamweaver installs them inside the Templates folder by default, but I imagine you could put them in other location inside the folder that has all the website files. In other words, I don't think the location is important.

As far as explaining why it's important to have the latest version of any software installed, is that really necessary? Making references to classes that don't exist in older Bourbon libraries breaks the code.

This is a user2user forum hosted at Adobe and with people from Adobe replying. I didn't expect a user to answer my question. I did expect anybody that replies from Adobe to have a more accurate answer than what I got.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your questioning and I completly share your point of view regarding the possibility of updating a third element as soon as the IDE refers to it. But unfortunately this is the case for all third elements that Dreamweaver uses such as jquery or bootstrap to just name them.

the only advice I can give you is that if you use Saas, and moreover if you want to use other gems, or packages, to complete its deployment, then it would be better to do it externally, either under ruby or by relying on Node. You will thus gain in flexibility of use, and especially and precisely in dependency management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

I understand your questioning and I completly share your point of view regarding the possibility of updating a third element as soon as the IDE refers to it. But unfortunately this is the case for all third elements that Dreamweaver uses such as jquery or bootstrap to just name them.

the only advice I can give you is that if you use Saas, and moreover if you want to use other gems, or packages, to complete its deployment, then it would be better to do it externally, either under ruby or by relying on Node. You will thus gain in flexibility of use, and especially and precisely in dependency management.

If Adobe wants to include frameworks such as Bootstrap, jQuery, Sass and anything else like that in Dreamweaver, there needs to be an easy way to update those files. Frankly, we should be able to upgrade or downgrade to any version of those frameworks and libraries.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting in your last paragraph. Do you mean abandon Dreamweaver and use a different development environment if we want to use something like Sass and Bourbon?

There are things about Dreamweaver that are good, that's why I use it. And that's also why I posted the solution above for anyone that wants to use Sass and Bourbon inside Dreamweaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MysticKnight  a écrit

I'm not sure what you're suggesting in your last paragraph. Do you mean abandon Dreamweaver and use a different development environment if we want to use something like Sass and Bourbon?

Nope, what I say, is if you need , or want, to use Sass, do it beside and externally from Dreamweaver, don't use the DW's out of the box feature.

Personnaly I use DW (cs6) because of the IDE and the global framework, but I linked Sublime Text for coding purpose, I run all the process, preposs, and workflow development from Node, and/or Ruby, some PostCSS too... but anyway... what ever the tool, DW is used as a global project manager and files tree, view, edit (edit until ST comes into the round).

thought, still facing a lot of trouble using FTP from within DW, and debugger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not want to use Ruby or Node as suggested by B i r n o u​  (which is a great solution), I tend to use Prepros

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

If you do not want to use Ruby or Node as suggested by https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u   (which is a great solution), I tend to use Prepros

If you look at my solution, I am using Ruby through the Terminal to install Bourbon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MysticKnight  a écrit

If you look at my solution, I am using Ruby through the Terminal to install Bourbon.

so why don't you use Ruby all the way long... including linking and watching

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

MysticKnight   a écrit

so why don't you use Ruby all the way long... including linking and watching

The less I need to use additional sources, especially one like Ruby, the better. I use Dreamweaver mainly because it's environment has everything in one place. I don't like skipping around from a text editor to an FTP client to Ruby.

But none of that matters. I posted a solution where I have to go to Terminal and use Ruby one time to generate the updated Bourbon folder. Once that's done, I can use Dreamweaver as my stand alone development environment again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MysticKnight  a écrit

The less I need to use additional sources, especially one like Ruby, the better. I use Dreamweaver mainly because it's environment has everything in one place. I don't like skipping around from a text editor to an FTP client to Ruby.

you don't have to... DW prefs setting allow you to choice the text editor that you want to use instead of the internal one... the FTP except when one need to transfert huge amount of file, one can live with the internal one, and ruby a simple .bat (.command on Mac) drives everything on a simple click (only one when needing to work on a project) and here we are... still in the full center of DW but using complementary tool, better suited for our needs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines