Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Validator not working in CS5

New Here ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I just installed CS5 (was previously using CS4) and I'm having trouble getting the Validator (in the results tools) to allow me to scan a html page for code errors.  Is there something I need to turn on or change to make it work?  The "validate current document" option is greyed out and I love using that tool.  Someone please help!!!  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

I just installed CS5 (was previously using CS4) and I'm having trouble getting the Validator (in the results tools) to allow me to scan a html page for code errors.  Is there something I need to turn on or change to make it work?  The "validate current document" option is greyed out and I love using that tool.  Someone please help!!!  Thanks

The Validator will no longer be developed, but the CS4 functionality can be installed as an extension. Until this extension get uploaded to the Exchange, yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 20, 2010 Jun 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to stay with CS4...install the validator extension that is mentioned a few times in previous posts (look up). It should restore the local Validator functionality.

Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The validator feature is now available as an extension from http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=2188524 and its usage is similar as in earlier version of Dw CS4.

..Sarthak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2010 Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I humbly ask the DW folks and those who asked to have the validator on CS5 removed: what do you use for HTML validation on local files?

I would ask that you bring back the validator on CS5 (yes the CS4 extension works) and support it, as you did in the past.  Dreamweaver is the go to editor for everyone.  Not just high-end developers who may have the expertise to get around this situation.  Dreamweaver is not only the Maserati of web design, it is also the Volkswagen, Chevrolet, Ford and Toyota for users who need this ability.

I would think there are more of the "ordinary" people who pay for this product than Corporations or higher-end developers.  These are the people who really need this ability to check pages for HTML errors (especially for local files).

I would ask on their (and my) behalf that Adobe reinstate this tool.

Thank you,

Daryl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know there were very valid reasons for removing it in CS5.

Doubt very much that it will come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno. So far, the only solid reasons expressed have been along the lines of "It needed updated, so we opted not to to try."

That's hardly a valid reason. At least, it's not valid from the perspective of delivering a complete, top-notch tool to the paying customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they are in danger of losing some paying customers as a result. We

use DreamWeaver at work, but the procurers are starting to seriously

consider staying with cs4.

Enough said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen @ dreaming-on, The Real Thorzdad, dferny.

The only reason that Adobe would possibly think of removing something like the validator is that they aren't paying enough attention to the workflow of their customers. Seriously, $400 web authoring software WITHOUT a validator? Come on Adobe...

In the past, it has worked great for me, but if it wasn't up to your standards spend a little effort and work to IMPROVE it, dont' remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trying to download this... and it looks like Adobe has removed it; error page. Has anyone archived this, or know where else one can download it?  I'm trying to migrate CS5 from one machine to another...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to investigate an extension that lets DreamWeaver users use CSE HTML Validator, but have not had the time yet. Is there anyone here (or anyone who knows someone) who could possibly write a simple DreamWeaver extension that integrates CSE HTML Validator with DreamWeaver?

I agree though, a $400 web development tool without even a basic validator/checker seems like a major deficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't the w3c validator do its job? It's free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the W3C validator is different and doesn't do the same job in the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that the W3C validator keeps coming up as a solution . . . the W3C validator is great but very inefficient for use during development. The request to bring back and support a CS5 Dreamweaver validator is all about efficient workflow . . . checking code quickly as we work. Having to cut and paste or validate on a Web page during development is not an option for me.

As someone stated a few posts ago . . . a validator should be a standard feature when buying the top-end html editor out there and paying the prices that Adobe is able to charge.

I dont' have a problem with Adobe's pricing, in fact as a professional developer I like that it's a considered expensive by some . . . but I do believe for the prices we pay basic workflow resources should be provided.

It's great that I can use an extension to use a validator from two versions ago, but why does Adobe think that they don't need to keep the feature current?  I think the answer is simply because they can get away with it . . . some legitimate competition would be a good thing in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

casidougal wrote:

...the W3C validator is great but very inefficient for use during development. The request to bring back and support a CS5 Dreamweaver validator is all about efficient workflow . . . checking code quickly as we work. Having to cut and paste or validate on a Web page during development is not an option for me.

Having W3C validate your local HTML document will become a breeze when previewing the page in Firefox -- why ? There´s a brilliant Firefox extension available named "Web Developer", which - among many other helpful features - allows you pass the HTML and/or CSS of your local document to the W3C validator. Can´t get any easier than this 😉

Cheers,

Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than validating right within the app itself, of course

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Real Thorzdad wrote:

Other than validating right within the app itself, of course

..but to my experience...

a) nearly as easy to handle as the built-in validator, and once you´re getting used to it, reloading the saved document in Firefox and have the Developer Toolbar pass it to the W3C validation service will become a speedy procedure as well.

b) far more useful, because the W3C validation service returns - at least to me - more precise error indications which are even legible (bigger font size)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2010 Dec 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

casidougal wrote:

. some legitimate competition would be a good thing in my opinion.

If adobe keeps neglecting it's long standing customers "me" and countless others then yes it will eventually happen.

DW CS5 is the Windows Vista of the latest CS release. And they "Adobe" don't care what the customers think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2011 Apr 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used it (the validator) in a while, but I tried to validate an old page that for some reason is not working anymore. I find this deprecation "mind numbingly" stupid on the part of Adobe.. Yet another WTF moment...

Let's see, late to the party with HTML 5 support, ignoring JavaScript in CS3, CS4, and CS5, no more basic HTML validation.

Clueless. Taking away a basic feature that really doesn't require any development, is a benefit to most on some occasions, and makes life easier for those of us that may have to support old web sites, of which there are about a billion in existence...

Yeah, good move Adobe..

At least someone had enough sense to make it available...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2012 Apr 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Those nice people at Adobe have reinstated the validator which works with CS5

It's here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=2188524

Works fine for me,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2012 Apr 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only problem is that when I try to downlaod it, I am asked for my username and password even though I am logged in, so the page does not let me in. Another bug in the Adobe setup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines