• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing my Developing Website on multiple devices.

Participant ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dreamweaver website under construction at home.   Adobe Tutorial seems to be saying if I type in the web address I should be able to view my website on different devices.  The website is not on a public server, im working from home.  And I do have home ATT WiFi.  But typing the address does not pull up the site.  Do i need to do something special to my home WiFi to access this web address?
BTW who put the freaky face on my emoji?

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

"Isn't this the same thing Adobe Muse uses. I seem to recall it was using a local server?"

No.  If you used Muse, you probably uploaded files to Business Catalyst servers.   That's not the same thing at all.  

"http://127.0.0.1:52073/prevew/app/index.html"

That's a temporary virtual address from  Real-Time Preview.  You can't copy & reuse that address because it's not real. 

You don't NEED a local testing server to work with DW.  But it's helpful for some things. I have WAMP server installed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will help ypu https://helpx.adobe.com/au/dreamweaver/using/device-preview.html

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works Great, Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Real-Time  &  Device Preview  are typically launched with the Real-Time Preview icon.  The  QR code is for mobile devices to read, no typing needed.   See help article below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/device-preview.html

For troubleshooting, please refer to this other article.

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/device-preview-troubleshooting.html

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a testing server set up, you don't have to go through Adobe to get a QR to attach to your site through their servers.

You can just use your machine's local ip, followed by the root folder of your site, and you'll be able to connect to it from any device on the same network, no scanning codes or Adobe involvement necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear this s what you mean

Example: "192.168.1.70\C:\Users\George\Documents\DreamWeaver for Charles\ResponsiveDesignFinished2\Complete"
This fails even when I use it on gthe same machine I am working on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the address my computer shows when I preview it on my machine, but if I paste this into another pc it fails
 I deliberately change some characters but the formis correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly, no. Sorry, I sort of assumed you would be placing your sites within your server's htdocs folder. That's the easiest way to work with a local testing server from my experience...

You will need the IP address given to your machine by your router 

Once you have that, you need to make sure all of your sites are in your server's htdocs folder (for XAMPP anyway)

From there, you right click the server .exe icon (or alias on your desktop) and run the server as Administrator
Then, use your machine's local network IP, followed by the site root folder name. With the example you give, after it's moved into the htdocs folder, the URL would end up along the lines of... 

192.167.1.70/Complete
192.167.1.70/YourOtherSite
or
192.167.1.70/A3rdSite

...from any device on your local network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes sense but to be clear, what is "your server's htdocs folder"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are running a local testing server, like XAMPP, there will be a folder called htdocs.

That folder is basically the testing server's "websites go here" folder. Everything you want to make available to other devices on your network would go inside that folder first.

It's pretty easy to set one up, and if you use any kind of server-side scripting, like .PHP, it's best to test locally before updating your remote site. The info on this page is a little older, but still accurate: https://www.adobe.com/devnet/archive/dreamweaver/articles/setup_testing_server.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isnt this the same thing Adobe Muse uses.  I seem  to recall it was using a local server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it.

I never used Muse, but I'm pretty sure it didn't install a testing server on your machine. That would have been massive overkill for the sites produced by that program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Isn't this the same thing Adobe Muse uses. I seem to recall it was using a local server?"

No.  If you used Muse, you probably uploaded files to Business Catalyst servers.   That's not the same thing at all.  

That's a temporary virtual address from  Real-Time Preview.  You can't copy & reuse that address because it's not real. 

You don't NEED a local testing server to work with DW.  But it's helpful for some things. I have WAMP server installed on my computer hard drive.  And my site folder resides in the default web folder -- www.   See screenshot.

Site > Manage SitesSite > Manage Sites

When I preview in browser, the address points to my local testing server on the localhost.

http://localhost/site_name/filename.php

When you start creating dynamic websites, you will need a local testing server.  In the meantime, you don't need one for static sites.  But as Jon said, having one set-up gives you an alternative to Device Preview which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines