• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Visible code is not the actual code, maybe in conjunction with GIT or copy/paste

Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I encountered something really strange. I use the latest version of Dreamweaver with Windows 10 and edited a PHP file. I connected my DW site with a GIT repository, maybe this is relevant.

I viewed my code (developer view) and tried to copy a single word and paste it to another place. But it did not work. It seemed like copy & paste simply does not work. But then I realized I copied something else to the clipboard, not the selected word.

Then I closed the document, which had clean code, and reopened it and it was total chaos. Everything I copy/pasted or just wrote in the last 30 minutes was somewhere in the document, but nothing where it should be or was visible before I closed the document.

So maybe for 30 minutes I edited a document which did not exists the way I saw it.

I said it could be related to GIT, because by activating/using this, any changes are documented and can be viewed in the code window. So maybe DW does not know which code is currently edited.

Has anybody had this problem before? I think I cannot reproduce it, but maybe it will happen again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

@Deleted User,

This is a user-to-user community, not support.  Quite honestly, I've never seen this reported before. So it could be just a one-off glitch.  Unless it's repeatable, there's nothing much Adobe engineers can do.

In any event, feel free to submit your feedback directly to the development team on UserVoice or by clicking DW Help > Submit Bug/Feature request.  

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive the obvious question but did you Save the PHP file to your local hard drive before closing DW?

Can you open the PHP file in another plain text/code editor to check it?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm 100% sure/I know that I saved the file to my local hard drive. Now the content is OK, of course, because I corrected it yesterday. But even if I would not have saved it correctly, the behaviour I saw should not happen. I will make a simple example of what I experienced (really only a example, I cannot  remember all steps and the exact code is too long and (I guess) not the problem).

1.) I wrote a code, let's say:

<?php

if (isset($var)) {

echo 'hello world';

}

?>

2.) I pushed it to GIT, closed DW.

3.) On the next day I opened the document again, marked $var and copy/pasted (Ctrl-C/V) it over "'hello world'". It did not work, the code was not pasted (tried it several times). So I manually did it and also added the line "echo 'hi';". The code was fine in the code view:

<?php

if (isset($var)) {

echo $var;

echo 'hi';

}

?>

4.) I closed the document and opened it again immediately and saw something like this:

<?php

if $var$var$var$var(isset($var)) {

echo 'hello world';

}

?>

echo 'hi';

I think this describes the chaos I got. Again, this is only an example and NOT an instruction how to reproduce it. I only want to make clear what I mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User,

This is a user-to-user community, not support.  Quite honestly, I've never seen this reported before. So it could be just a one-off glitch.  Unless it's repeatable, there's nothing much Adobe engineers can do.

In any event, feel free to submit your feedback directly to the development team on UserVoice or by clicking DW Help > Submit Bug/Feature request.  

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that this is a user-to-user community and not support. Did I say anything different?

And yes, maybe I will never have this problem again and it was only one time. Time will tell ...

Concerning the bug reports on Uservoice: For me it seems that no bug report is ever viewed by Adobe. And this goes also for bug reports of other Adobe software. Bugs which are 100% reproducible are never fixed or even commented by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Defined Local Site folder = Site > Manage Sites...  Given that you're using a local testing server adds another layer to this.  Is Wamp server on and are all PHP & Apache processes running?

Concerning the bug reports on Uservoice: For me it seems that no bug report is ever viewed by Adobe. And this goes also for bug reports of other Adobe software. Bugs which are 100% reproducible are never fixed or even commented by Adobe.

=========

All I know is what Adobe management tells us.  Bug reports submitted to UserVoice are logged, verified if possible and prioritized.  But the engineers rarely if ever comment on feedback unless they have follow-up questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Defined Local Site folder = Site > Manage Sites...  Given that you're using a local testing server adds another layer to this.  Is Wamp server on and are all PHP & Apache processes running?

I guess you wanted to post this as an answer to my other question (https://community.adobe.com/t5/dreamweaver/dw-doesn-t-recognize-that-there-are-files-to-synchronize-...), because in this thread it does not make sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I cannot reproduce it, I will mark this thread as solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using GIT?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what answer you expect to this question. You could also ask "Why are you using Dreamweaver?".

The answer is: Because I can and because I want to. Or: Why not?

Sorry if this anwer seems rude to you, but again: What should I answer to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A sensible answer would have sufficed. like

1. I work with others on the project and want to eliminate the risk of conflicting code.

2. I want to be able to back up the code in a central place

3. I want to be able to roll back to a previous version

4. My team members want to create their own separate branches.

5. Et cetera.

The reason for my question was purely to make you think about what you are doing..But I guess you are King and I should apologise for daring to ask the question. Good luck.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very good focal point for project management especially if you and/or your team use GIT.

In all other aspects I'd say it hasn't really moved on much at all since Adobe bought Macromedia, most of the updates and changes have either created new problems, performance issues or brought nothing new to the table.... So for coders or people looking for more of design view focused tool there are better tools out there...

For non-coders looking for a design focused approach you'll need to invest in Dreamweaver extensions, P7 are the most famous developer of such extensions

For extensions to aid in modern server side coding (because Adobe didn't update the server behaviors, then ironically cited 'out of date' as a reason to remove them). They also killed off the very useful Developer Toolbox extension). You need to look at WebAssist or DMXZone extensions,

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BenPleysier 

But the "why" is completely irrelevant for my question. If you ask how to fix your car engine in a car forum, wouldn't you be annoyed if someone asks you "Why do you use a car?" (you could use a bike and have no engine problems).

But to answer your question: Points 1-4 are the reasons (plus point 5 which is indeed because I am King).

@Paul-M 

I agree that the development of DW since it was a Macromedia product has not been very good. For me it looks like they took the old software and added features for modern web development, which were poorly implemented (and lead to bugs and performance issues).

But I use DW since so many years (I think since MX/2002) and it's "hard" to change software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only problem I've observed with GIT in Dreamweaver is if you have a large number of staged files, Dreamweaver starts to become very slow and does some glitchy things .... Try doing a commit + push  and see if that helps ...

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number of files is quite low at the moment, because the project is in the starting phase. I do a commit and push every evening. At this moment I'm not sure whether GIT has to do with my problem (as I said), but maybe it has to to with it, because you say "does some glitchy things".

But DW is not slow at all (at least not because of GIT).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines