• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

zip file download from Dreamweaver not working

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created two games in Unity that I would like to use in my Dreamweaver website.  First, I'm using a zip folder for the player to "click" on a link to download the files for the games.  There are two separate html pages for each of the game files.  The first one is working just fine.  The second one is not working.  The code and css are identical.  Everything is identical except for the zip files.  This is the code I'm using: <a href="TheHouse.zip" download>Download "TheHouse" game files here</a>

When I then go the the live version of the page and click on the "download The House game files here", it simply says "Failed-no file." where the little zip icon is at the bottom left of the screen where the downloads show up. I have tried everything I can think of and have worked on this all day, with no success.  The first game is 500MB the one that isn't working is about 1GB total. 

I'm happy to provide any additional information that will be helpful; I just don't know what that would be.  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

In addition, double check your code. You wrote in your OP:

<a href="TheHouse.zip" download>Download "TheHouse" game files here</a>

If that's the case, in addition to checking your path and filename case sensitivity, fix your link to:

<a href="TheHouse.zip">Download &quot;TheHouse&quot; game files here</a>

The extra word "download" in your html anchor tag may be breaking your link.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few ideas off the top of my head...

Did you upload the .zip file, and upload it to the correct location given in the link?

According to the link given, the zip file needs to be in the same folder as the page on the server. If it's not, the link won't work.

Do you have unlimited space on your server? It's possible your 1GB file isn't actually being uploaded due to hosting space limitations.

Make sure the case structure of the file and the link code match exactly. MyFile.zip and myfile.zip are the same locally, on Windows and Mac OS, but they're typically two separate files/locations on a server.

A simple case mismatch would be enough to return a 404 Not Found error when a link is clicked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, double check your code. You wrote in your OP:

<a href="TheHouse.zip" download>Download "TheHouse" game files here</a>

If that's the case, in addition to checking your path and filename case sensitivity, fix your link to:

<a href="TheHouse.zip">Download &quot;TheHouse&quot; game files here</a>

The extra word "download" in your html anchor tag may be breaking your link.

Hope this helps!
Make sure to press "✔ Correct Answer" on this post if this answers your question. Happy Creating!
Anissa • @anissat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "download" attribute shown in their <a> tag is new to HTML5 and is meant to tell the browser to download the file versus opening it for viewing.

There's nothing wrong with having it there, but it is a bit redundant with a .zip file since browsers don't open them by default. Usually it would be used with a .pdf, .txt, .img, or other file that browsers display, when it is more desirable to have that file download directly to the viewer's computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the URL to your online page?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://127.0.0.1:50461/preview/app/index.html

Here's what I'm trying now...there are 2 folders and three files that are part of the zip file (so 5 things total that need to be able to download).  4 of these are working and one isn't.  I know this because I zipped four together and they are on the top link.  The one that isn't working  is the bottom link.  It's also the largest.

[Moderator Note: Personal Information Removed. Please turn off or delete signatures when replying to forum posts via email.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link that is working.  Same exact format...5 files that are zipped together.

http://127.0.0.1:50461/preview/app/index.html

I couldn't seem to send these in the same reply.

[Moderator Note: Personal Information Removed. Please turn off or delete signatures when replying to forum posts via email.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are not links anyone but you can see.

Those are the Real Time Preview links out of DW. The program uses Adobe's server to load your local file into a frame in your browser.

Nancy is looking for a link to your problem pages uploaded on your actual website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you.  My website isn't live yet.  I haven't started the web hosting as I wanted to make sure I could get everything to work first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please stop replying to copies of forum posts sent to your e-mail account.  Come back to the web forum to reply.

We can't see anything on your local computer.  You need temporary  web hosting to test projects online.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here is the actual zip file that I can't get to open in Dreamweaver.  I'm not sure if this will work as it's too big to attach.  Have to go through onedrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines