• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attach or add javascript or css style sheet (.js or .css)

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. In my particular case I need a javascript - but I think this would be appropriate for anyone who may want to attach (or create/insert) a new .css script as well.

I'm working with a pre-set bootstrap template and making adjustments to it. In my particular case the Google Maps wasn't working so I removed it and installing a new one. I found a site that gave me one designed just for bootstrap and it gave me the HTML (which I can put anywhere) and the javascript written SEPARATELY. So what I wonder is how create a new box and then "insert" it along the horizontal  "Source Code" line? Here's a pic of the line I'm referring to:

maps error 1.jpg

I know there is a .css "attach style sheet" located down "Tools" but the Google Map is a javascript (.js)...so in no way can be seen as an "existing .css file". Plus, copying the javescript (.js) will just be through notepad of something simple like that.

Here's the site I found all the Google Maps options which I may want to use for bootstrap:

https://mdbootstrap.com/javascript/bootstrap-google-map/#custom

I just now need to find how to sync the javescript (.js) in along with the codes like the picture above...

Thanks for any help on how to add extra .js and .css files to bootstrap scripts

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

That bar of file names is the Dependent File Toolbar and will show any new scripts you attach to the page automatically.

To attach scripts to your page, from within your defined site, go to Insert > HTML > Script and browse to the correct .js file.

You can attach them wherever you click in Code View (usually the instructions will say "as the last item before the </head>" or "last item before the </body>")

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That bar of file names is the Dependent File Toolbar and will show any new scripts you attach to the page automatically.

To attach scripts to your page, from within your defined site, go to Insert > HTML > Script and browse to the correct .js file.

You can attach them wherever you click in Code View (usually the instructions will say "as the last item before the </head>" or "last item before the </body>")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon. Okay I followed the plan and attached both the HTML where I want the Google map to be located and the javascript at the bottom of the </body>. However, again nothing showed up but a big chunk of white open space. Also, nothing popped up in the "Dependent File Toolbar" section to represent that the full javascript (.js) is now there...I thought that would happen when I asked to insert the .js in the bottom of the </body>

If you would like to see a quick video of each step I took here it is:

My thoughts now are: Is the source of the HTML or .js poor? Or am I still doing this wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not upload the JS file

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, you have the following link in the bottom of your source code online...

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/google.maps.js"></script>

This means there needs to be a file called "google.maps.js" containing the javascript within a folder called "js" that is on the same directory level as your index.html file, something like...

- index.html
- js

- google.maps.js

When I browse to the location defined in your link directly while using FireFox, I receive a 404 File Not Found error from your hosting company. That means the file was either not uploaded, uploaded to the wrong location, or possibly with a different name (even case structure matters to a server).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon. I have indeed caught that mistake you pointed out...so thank you very much. I forgot that since I have re-installed DreamWeaver I have to manually transfer files via FileZilla. So I just did that, cleared the cookies, etc. and have yet to see a change just yet.

Filezilla moved google maps.jpg

As of now the map is not showing still. I have to go about some other duties and will check when I get home to see if maybe the process was delayed of something...but as you can see via vacant space where the map should be near the bottom of Oneida Services, Inc.

Thanks again and  I'll keep my hopes up. (it's 1:28pm now - Eastern time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still have some structural problems, but they're not causing the map issue. You have 2 problems that will make the map fail...

1) You are missing this link under your map html...

<script src="https://maps.google.com/maps/api/js"></script>

It should come immediately after the map html.

2) You are using the Satellite Map's javascript in your .js file, but the Custom Map's container. That is causing a mismatched id, mixing map-container-3 in the html and map-container-2 in the js, so the .js file can't write anything into your page.

You need to make sure to use the html and javascript from the same sample map or it won't work because each map has a different HTML id.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Jon. I recognize mistake #1 and feel terrible how I completely missed that link part of the HTML

I'm very sorry about that...So I fixed that and here it is now:

pic1.jpg

As for #2, I deleted the past files via FileZilla, re-made and re-saved both JUST the SATELLITE MAP from Bootstrap Google Map (.js) and the (.html) so they both match each other perfectly this time - and then uploaded the proper/matching (.js) via FileZilla:

pic3.jpg

Finally, I went about the DreamWeaver process of "Insert > HTML > Script and browse to the correct .js file" at the bottom of </body> and this was the result:

pic2.jpg

This indeed placed the script at the end of the Dependent File Toolbar just as I had wanted. Sure enough a tag was placed at the end of the Toolbar line and the (.js) file was there looking just as it had when I got it from the Bootstrap page. Along with it came 3 "remote" javascript files that "cannot be edited," but that was the case with the original Google map that wasn't working and were removed.

End result: a blank white spot appeared  where I was hoping the map would be located. Am I still missing something here? The HTML looks good now (I assume). The (.js) matches now and was uploaded correctly (I assume). I'm all ears...or in this case, eyes lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're still using the wrong .js information.

If you look toward the bottom of your googlemaps.js file, about 10 lines from the bottom, you'll see this line...

var var_map = new google.maps.Map(document.getElementById("map-container-2"),

That is the line that is telling the script where to write to in your document, and is still the script and id from the "Custom Map" JS tab. The Satellite Map's JS tab shows map-container-3, which would match the id in your current html (line 326 from your html)...

<div id="map-container-3" class="z-depth-1" style="height: 500px"></div>

Either you've uploaded the .js file under a different name and the link is still pointing to the old one, or you accidentally saved the wrong script to your .js file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I finally think I put the SATELLITE version of the HTML & javascript (.js) and they matched. However, just like the Google Map version with came with the original bootstrap template, I'm getting an "Oops something went wrong" message ...and that was the reason I took it out and tried to replace it in the first place (assuming it was outdated or something). I also tried it on multiple browsers. I'll leave it installed as is so whomever can check it out and see the results here at Oneida Services, Inc. near the bottom where the map is.

Does this mean that the Bootstrap javascript of this particular Google Map won't "coincide" with this particular template and I just have to find another? Maybe size has an issue (500px)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you testing your Google Map API online?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy. Yes, I tested it online and the results are that the Map didn't load correctly. The site I'm working on is here -> Oneida Services, Inc.

The javascript (JS) is HERE

and the HTML is this:

<!--Google map-->
<div id="map-container-3" class="z-depth-1" style="height: 500px"></div>

[ . . . ]

<!--Google Maps-->

I get is all from this SITE and I prefer the SATELLITE version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need a unique Key from Google.   See link below for a code example. 

Google Maps APIs  |  Google Developers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't tamper with Bootstrap CSS or JS files.  If needed, create new CSS  or JS files and insert them below Bootstrap and jQuery files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines